Oldest photo of Sheffield

Guest Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

What's the oldest existing photograph of Sheffield.

Permanent photography was invented in 1825, but only started to be widely available in the 1840s.

The photos of the flood aftermath in 1864 must be amongst the earliest photos of Sheffield. Picture Sheffield has this photograph of High Street which Martin Olive's book says is from 1862. There's also this photo of Heeley that they say dates from the 1850s.

Any more?

Jeremy

There's an 1843-ish photo of one of the Churches, Minister of the Moors Ecclesfield) maybe, it's er, somewhere, earliest one I know of.

What's the oldest existing photograph of Sheffield.

Permanent photography was invented in 1825, but only started to be widely available in the 1840s.

The photos of the flood aftermath in 1864 must be amongst the earliest photos of Sheffield. Picture Sheffield has this photograph of High Street which Martin Olive's book says is from 1862. There's also this photo of Heeley that they say dates from the 1850s.

Any more?

Jeremy

Then and now .Just below the Sheaf House Pub-Gleadless Road last week.

Guest Jeremy

Then and now .Just below the Sheaf House Pub-Gleadless Road last week.

The date stone looks like it might say 1858, which would put an earliest possible date on the Picture Sheffield photo.

The date stone looks like it might say 1858, which would put an earliest possible date on the Picture Sheffield photo.

It's colour, could be from 1974 ... or am I reading it wrong ?

Guest Jeremy

I was referring to the 'then' rather than the 'now' photo.

I was referring to the 'then' rather than the 'now' photo.

The 1843, when I can find it, still stands as a possibility then.

Guest Jeremy

A little off topic, but White's 1849 directory has:

W H BROWNE Photographic portrait artist 2 Church Street & 27 Johnson Street; h. Broomhill

CHADBURN (Bros.) photographic portrait rooms Johnson Street

A little off topic, but White's 1849 directory has:

W H BROWNE Photographic portrait artist 2 Church Street & 27 Johnson Street; h. Broomhill

CHADBURN (Bros.) photographic portrait rooms Johnson Street

Tremendous, love to see any better date, or sample from 1849 or indeed earlier ...

Guest Jeremy

Tremendous, love to see any better date, or sample from 1849 or indeed earlier ...

Slaters 1846 directory has:

Chadburn Brothers, (, Photographic artists) at 26 Nursery Street

Chadburn Brothers, (, photographic gallery proprietors) at Steam Wheel, Johnson Street

Guest Jeremy

I found the following in Making scientific instruments in the industrial revolution by A. D. Morrison-Low (2007):

The partnership of Chadburn & Wright was formed in 1818 between William Chadburn and David Wright and, as an advertisement from 1825 shows, they manufactured optical goods as well as dealing in 'all kinds of hardware'. William Chadburn, who had begun as an optician in 1816, was by 1828 advertising a greater versatility as a 'brass and iron founder, optician, cutler and general dealer'. In turn the firm became Chadburn Brothers, who were Alfred and Francis Wright Chadburn from 1837, joined by a third brother, Charles Henry, in 1841.

Alfred Chadburn appears to have been the member of the firm who was the most concerned with practical optics. Alfred published a pamphlet on spectacles which ran to many editions, and he was also involved in early experiments in photography in Sheffield (one of his early daguerreotypes is reproduced in the Weekly Independent, 18 May 1918).

William CHADBURN opticians and manufacturers of nautical instruments, optical glasses, spect 23 Nursery Street White's 1833

CHADBURN (Bros.) opticians & philosophical & nautical instrument makers Albion Works, 26 Nursery Street & Steam Wheel, Johnson Street Pigot's 1841

CHADBURN (Bros.) opticians, mathematical, electric & philisophical instrument manufa 26 Nursery Street White's 1849

Francis Wright CHADBURN Opitician &c. h. 26 Nursery Street White's 1849

Alfred CHADBURN Opitician &c. h. 26 Nursery Street White's 1849

Francis Wright & Alfred CHADBURN Opticians (&c.) House. 26 Nursery Street And Burngreave Road White's 1852

CHADBURN (Bros.) Opticians Albion works, Nursery St., & Nursery Ln. Kelly's 1893

CHADBURN (Brothers Ltd.) manufacturing opticians Albion Works, 30 Nursery Street & 7 & 9 Nursery Lane White's 1919

Sorry Richard,

I don't think the oldest surviving photograph of Sheffield is in MY personal collection lol

Here she is then ...

A collotype showing St Mary's Church, Ecclesfield from about 1840. (Shown before the enlargement of the churchyard and the 1842 building of the bier house).

Cyril Slinn, from Britain in Old Photographs.

Discuss.

Guest Jeremy

A collotype showing St Mary's Church, Ecclesfield from about 1840. (Shown before the enlargement of the churchyard and the 1842 building of the bier house).

Cyril Slinn, from Britain in Old Photographs.

Impressive! Collotype or calotype? I think it must be a calotype as the information that I can find suggests that collotype wasn't invented until the 1860s. Even as a calotype it is amazingly early—Talbot introduced this process in 1841. Is the photographer known?

Jeremy

Impressive! Collotype or calotype? I think it must be a calotype as the information that I can find suggests that collotype wasn't invented until the 1860s. Even as a calotype it is amazingly early—Talbot introduced this process in 1841. Is the photographer known?

Jeremy

Collo- Calo- - don't know what either means.

Photographer unknown; it was discovered as a backing board for a later photo !

This is currently the one to beat then ?

Guest Jeremy

This is currently the one to beat then ?

Assuming that the dating information is correct I think that this can be declared the winner.

Jeremy

Assuming that the dating information is correct I think that this can be declared the winner.

Jeremy

We need to try to prove the evidence provided.

Guest Jeremy

Metal Helve Hammer of 1840-42

I saw this one. The description is ambiguous--I took it to mean that the hammer was installed in 1840-42, rather than that being when the photo was taken. No information on the date of the photograph is given in the decade box.

Jeremy

I saw this one. The description is ambiguous--I took it to mean that the hammer was installed in 1840-42, rather than that being when the photo was taken. No information on the date of the photograph is given in the decade box.

Jeremy

I agree, but, we will leave the photo just as a matter of interest.

Guest Jeremy