What is unusual about this photograph?

dunsbyowl1867

It was taken 19 seconds before the referee fell on his backside due to poor footware choice pre-match !

Surprisingly lol No!

Brothers?

Interesting guess Tsavo bu no! - I'm going to have to give some clues here. It is an International between England & Spain. ;-)

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Highbury 1931!

The England captain (captain is the keyword!) is Ernest Blenkinsop, of Sheffield Wednesday. Strange and Rimmer, also of Wednesday, were in the same England team, and England won 7-1.

From www.englandfootballonline.com

England 7 Spain 1, Arsenal Stadium, Highbury, London, 9 December 1931 - England gained revenge at home for their first loss to a foreign team.

The whiff of garlic rendered the England keeper blind and he conceded 17 of the 1 goal(s) Spain scored, after what was described as a "giant Paella burp" by the Spain centre-forward ... probably ...

The England captain (captain is the keyword!) is Ernest Blenkinsop, of Sheffield Wednesday. Strange and Rimmer, also of Wednesday, were in the same England team, and England won 7-1.

Valiant try Richard - OCSK has hit the nail on the head! :)

But, but, but my surreal efforts could run and run - never mind the facts ...

Never let them get in the way.....

Guest bblenkin

Ernest, the England captain, was my grandfather. The spanish captain was Ricardo Zamora, who was something of a legend. He played for Barcelona and Real Madrid, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day, and was reported to be on £25 a week - a fortune compared to the £8 maximum wage that Ernest was paid. The trophy presented to the best goalkeeper in Spain each season is still named after him. I've seen some old Pathe news footage of this game - the Spanish passing game was clearly hindered by the deep Highbury mud, and Zamora had a nightmare. Zamora subsequently had a number of close shaves during the Spanish Civil War, and was decorated by Franco. Ernest captained England 4 times and made a total of 26 international appearances. Billy Walker sold him to Liverpool on transfer deadline day in 1934, and he finished his league career at Cardiff just prior to the war. He returned to Sheffield and ran the Mason's Arms in Crookes and then the Sportsman's Inn at Crosspool until he died in 1969.