All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. If I recall correctly, there was a top playground, then down the steps to the bottom playground....I'm going back to the 60's... I don't recall a boys/girls/school...I remember the playgrounds being seperated by age groups..but could be wrong, it may have been by gender. I can barely remember the teachers....Think the headmistress was a Sister Catherine, might have been Sister Margaret..and recall a Priest...Brother Smith... A Mr Hosty (sp) was a maths teacher... I think thats about the depths my memory will go...except that it was a strict but fair upbringing....then off to St Pauls..which I thoroughly hated for the most part
  3. Andrews Graphics was still there in 1999, albeit that was 20 years ago! http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=Andrews_graphics&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%Andrews_graphics%%3B I remember buying some tech. drawing stuff from Andrews when I was at Granville College, but that was 1982-ish.
  4. And that is why the kids who passed the exam are so, so smart. And the kids of today aren't. The schools today are so "dumbed" down that the asinine quotations are so, so appropriate. I used to live close to a university and the teachers there spend most of the first year bringing students up to speed on Mathematics and English. So who is at fault, parents or inane schools or what?
  5. I remember dreading the exam, and worrying about it. In the end it was abolished and I was in the first batch of kids to miss it. Last year the BBC put up some examples of the exam, I tried to do it, and was gobsmacked at how hard it was for kids of that age.
  6. Holly Street. From another thread here:
  7. Last week
  8. You don't see that angle so often, it's a shame it's all gone. Curtis music shop is in the background at the top of Porter Street, they had a few shops around. When the Porter Street shop was demolished they opened up on The Moor. Karen Young who sang with Johnny Tempest and the Cadillacs worked for them about that time.
  9. That's makes quite an amazing "then and now" , from the latest image you couldn't guess that it had been a heavily populated industrial area not long ago.
  10. A link to another thread about the Wild Well at Norton Hollow...
  11. From a different angle.. http://www.picturesheffield.com/y01295
  12. Here is the bridge concealed behind the trees in the above photo.
  13. This is the approximate 'now' shot today.
  14. Hi. Following on from the steam special on 9 September, Galetea is back on Monday 23 September. It's travelling from Burton to Carnforth via Chesterfield, Dronfield, Dore Tunnel, Totley Tunnel through the Hope Valley to Manchester and on to Carnforth. It is advisable to re-check Realtime Trains on Monday morning. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/GRN?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt That's the link for Realtime Trains - Grindleford (GRN?). For other stations on route - open the Grindleford link: Change the location to e.g. Dronfield and submit. The most important information for Realtime Trains is to know the starting point/destination. Video records are welcome.... Sorry about the spacing! Cheers, Wazzie LMS: 5699 Galetea. 5Z53 0910 Burton Ot Wetmore Sidings to Carnforth Steamtown. 23 September 2019 Burton Ot Wetmore 0910 SDG Alfreton [ALF] pass 1037 ML Blackwell South Jn (Derbs) pass 1039 UDV Morton 1045 1102 Clay Cross North Jn pass 1108 EL Chesterfield South Jn pass 1111 DBH Chesterfield [CHD] 3 pass 1112 DBH Tapton Jn pass 1114 Dronfield [DRO] 1121 1123 1 Dore South Jn pass 1127 Dore West Jn pass 1129 Totley Tunnel East pass 1132 Grindleford [GRN] 1 pass 1137 2 Bamford [BAM] pass 1144 Earles Sdgs S.B. DGL 1149 1202 Edale [EDL] 1 pass 1209 Chinley East Jn pass 1215 Manchester Victoria [MCV] 3 pass 1327 Carnforth Steamtown 1745
  15. I found these two a while ago, one is in the wall of the Taylors Eye Witness Works I've turned it round so its easier to view, the asphalt on the left is actually the footpath, the other one is at 27 Wilkinson Street.
  16. Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing it, I really like then and now images, many areas of Sheffield have changed so much and so many times.
  17. yeah looks ok. I just don't want to spend hours doing a film then it be rejected,. Obviously a direct screen will show it as google, but if I'm get get similar angles, I might have to tamper...
  18. If it's not for profit and you credit Google I think you are OK but check here for the full terms. ---- https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines/
  19. I'm in the process of scanning all my old pictures of Sheffield. The plan it to do a now and then type youtube film, however, I have a lot!! I realised many of them are easy to replicate now using google maps (cheating I know), but possibly the difference of ever getting anything done! If I reference google maps, do you think they allow it?
  20. The Berni Inn at Norton was great for lunch. I used to go with my boss and he loved the place. But no meetings afterwards because I was looped.
  21. Sorry to resurrect the old thread.....I came across it looking for something else, however I have read this far & I am curious if you ever got into it!!
  22. Courtesy of Crossley's "Water Power in Sheffield": Here is a plan showing Bennetts Wheel in 1823. The wheel was in existence in 1604 and its name changed when Edward Bennett took on the tenancy in 1737. In 1759 it was planned to double the size of the dam to cover over an acre. In 1794 widow Bennett had 15 troughs with 15 men employed. In 1823 (when the above plan was made) George Rock owned the wheel and the dam was to be reduced in size, possibly connected with the building of the Vulcan Works and steam rolling mill in the middle of the decade. The rate books in the 1830s show no wheel matching Bennett Wheel and under an 1810 agreement its dam was used only for boiler water for the Vulcan Works until at least 1851. Thomas Ellin had bought the property in 1831 hence the name of the street that followed the southern side of the dam. Here is a plan showing the Sylvester and Cinderhill Wheels: The Sylvester Wheel probably originated as one of the "wheels in the pasture" in the early 1600s. The name was changed when Field Sylvester took on the wheel in 1697. Sylvester was a substantial businessman, for example buying £500 of iron from Attercliffe Forge for resale in 1711, so this wheel would have been only a small part of his operations. When he died in 1717 the tenancy was assigned to David Fullilove then Thomas Wilson, the Wilsons holding the tenancy for the rest of the century. From 1725 to 1745 the wheel was small with only 3 troughs plus an ease trough. A Fairbanks plan of 1748 shows a project to enlarge the dam by removing 400 cubic yards of earth. A plan of 1769 shows developments including a second dam (not clear if that dam was made). By 1794 the wheel had 20 troughs and employed 20 men. The wheel was purchased from the Norfolk estate in 1811 by Thomas Holy who sold it to Messrs Ellin and Ingall in 1827 after which it was referred to as Ellin's Wheel. After 1800 many changes took place - before the sale to Holy, the course of the Porter had been straightened, with a further re-alignment at the start of Holy's ownership. In 1830 there was a 10 foot by 6'9" water wheel producing 10 1/4 horse power and a 10hp Boulton and Watt steam engine. Water power ceased being used about 1850, although the 1850-1 rate book notes head and fall, the 1851 OS map refers to the dams as reservoirs which suggests storage for steam engines. By 1864 the dams had been filled in and divided up for re-development. The area in 1808:
  23. I have seen all Patrick's videos a few times. I had the pleasure of meeting him too - top man. There is a bit in his film of the former Staples car park which is a great piece of hidden Sheffield.
  24. It certainly has changed, even in my time, I had a look on Google Street View but couldn’t recognise much other than St. Mary's. I will be very interested to see the modern photo's. Have you seen Patrick Dickinson "Walking Through the River Porter Culverts" on YouTube, I haven't time to look at it again at the moment but he must have gone through that one.
  25. Many thanks boginspro! The first photo I had seen before but not got the location right - the area could not have changed much more. I'll get photos over the next couple of days of the site. The map is really interesting. I was wondering if Vulcan Works and Bramall Lane bridges were one and the same, but clearly not. The current culvert may well incorporate some of both. It certainly goes under Hereford St whereas the map shows the two as not joined up.
  26. Here is another map from the middle of the 19th century. https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345217
  27. They were both born in the same bed, Three years apart at 52, Andover Street Pitsmoor,
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?