All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Yesterday
  2. This is a notice warning people to keep their dogs under control, when walking them where there are Ewes & Lambs. It is a criminal offence, to allow your dog to worry/chase livestock, which can cause stress and even death. For more information go to OPERATION RECALL SYP on Facebook.
  3. The brassworks company that made it did so free of charge, they also made the signs on the graveyard directing you to the grave. The replacement plaque on Loosemore Ave is now bonded to the wall instead of screwed.
  4. paulhib48

Dore & Totley Station

Well Martin , I’m disabled and wheelchair bound and though I agree with your sentiments on that , I still think it’s an eyesore and a blot on the landscape
  5. I understand the plaque on the post war Loosemore Avenue commemorating his bravery was vandalised but has since been replaced.
  6. chuzzlewit

PAULDENS Department Store in Sheffield City Centre

I'm scanning my Dad's thousands of slides and found this one of Pauldens illuminated by Christmas lights. There was no specific date other than "1960s" so that's as close as I can get I'm afraid. Compared to the B&W photo on the site, it looks like they added a vertical illuminated sign so maybe the B&W one was taken soon after opening?? No copyright, feel free to distribute.
  7. MartinR

Dore & Totley Station

I'm afraid I'm with Lysanderix on this one. I assume the brick structures are lifts sine the BBC item mentions accessibility. An old-fashioned cast iron bridge might be pretty, but is impossible to navigate in a disability scooter or wheelchair.
  8. Last week
  9. cas

Plumpers & Albert

Thanks I won't mention the gambling bit to Mum. The Fred Harris bit is confusing because I've never heard of a Fred but Mum did have an Uncle John Harris (born Ernest Jack Harris) who worked for the Telegraph and went to sea. He wrote books about it.
  10. Lysanderix

Iron and steel compound

In an attempt to produce tools ,of all kinds ,with the flexibility of iron and the hard wearing properties of high carbon and alloy steels Sheffield had long developed compound materials. These were produced by hammer or roll forging iron ( latterly mild steel) with carbon or alloy steel. This was done in various proportions or even sections. Perhaps the largest demand came from the manufacturers of plough shares where two layers of mild steel and a central layer of 0.70% carbon steel were roll forged together. …..thus producing something which would bend , without breaking, yet retain a hard cutting edge.Another demand came from the manufacturers of tobacco knives where the sap tended to blunt ordinary steels. We lost out when post War ,German wartime developments in heat treating low alloy steels ,became widely known and the costly compound steels became redundant….heralding many other of Sheffields once renowned steel products!
  11. Lysanderix

Dore & Totley Station

Always a matter of personal taste. Must confess I have seen far worse on my travels!
  12. I had hoped to attend this service but couldn't get the time off work sadly. Pleased it was well attended.
  13. I went to a talk recently about Pt Loosemore VC and learnt that the other day the church where he is burried held a service for him. Both Arnold and his wife were buried in the shared grave of the Johnson family who they were friends with as they couldn't afford their own graves. How sad.
  14. Stunmon

Bellhouse Road at Firth Park

Thanks everyone!!!! Good to know there are other people as old as I am!!!!!!
  15. Lysanderix

The bowling alley was certainly open in early 1964. I had a part of my 21st celebrations there before we set off for a few drinks,.
  16. ManoutotCity

Adelphy Hotel

Yes, the pub didn’t look familiar ( and yes, it crossed my mind that it’s location had the look of The City Centre about it )…..why I was tentative with my suggestion. It’s well over half a century since I was pretty well acquainted with the East End ….some places, some now even obliterated, I still recall well but others I don’t recall, at all. The human mind can be a wonderful thing…..but sometimes very dangerous..
  17. Ponytail

I believe the Bowling Alley opened late 1963 or early 1964, remember sneaking in on the first day and I hadn't long been at Grammar School. Fine Fare and Woolworths I assume were opened around the same time. We could do with a Directory. 😂
  18. bekahk

George Bassett

I know this is a late reply, but I've just seen your message. I'm a descendant of George Bassett and I'm really interested in learning anything about family history, I'd love to see it if you still have it!
  19. Alchemia

I was there that day with my Mother too! Didn't recognise posh-hatted and cheery Violet Carson though, I'd only ever seen her before as Ena Sharples with a hairnet and grumpy face! Can't remember how old I was either Stunmon, but I believe mid 1960s. I also recall the Woolworths back in those times. Specifically getting new pyjamas, a cuddly panda and the paperback 'Wind in the Willows' to take with me into the Royal hospital for tonsillectomy.
  20. Lysanderix

I seem to remember that Woolworths was part of a new block built on land which had been occupied by Firth Park Methodist Church’s Boys Brigade Hut and a car park. The Paragon being demolished as part of the scheme.
  21. Stunmon

Was Woolworth already there when the Paragon was demolished?
  22. All Saints Ecclesall Commemoration of the Centenary of the death of Sgt. Arnold Loosemore VC DCM. 10th April 2024. (Godfrey Smallman) Audio of Readings, Sermon, Commemoration, Exhortation, Last Post, Two Minutes Silence and Reveille. 18min 59sec. https://www.allsaintsecclesall.org.uk/talks-catalogue/2024/4/10/10-april-commemoration-of-the-centenary-of-the-death-of-sgt-arnold-loosemore-vc-dcm
  23. Chris Hobbs. "Arnold, one of only 3 people born in Sheffield to have been awarded the VC." https://www.chrishobbs.com/arnoldloosemore1917.htm
  24. History First. Mark Bridge 6th July 2023. On sale VC of bravest lad who killed over 20 Germans to save comrades. https://historyfirst.com/on-sale-vc-of-bravest-lad-who-killed-over-20-germans-to-save-comrades/
  25. Sheffield Star 20th July 2023. https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/sergeant-arnold-loosemore-tragic-tale-of-sheffield-war-hero-as-vc-medal-expected-to-fetch-ps220k-at-auction-4211113
  26. Link to: Clifford Street School WWI Memorial. https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/7723-clifford-street-school-wwi-memorial/
  27. Link to: https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/14210-sergent-arnold-loosemore-vc-dcm-1st-ww/
  1. Load more activity