All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. The same in our house. The fire was lit in the dining room / kitchen in the morning to heat the water and to cook our evening meal in the oven. Front room was only used on a Sunday until TV came along. The sometimes if it was cold father would transfer some of the range fire into the front room very carefully on ashovel
  3. In my house te real reason was the fuel needed to heat two rooms. And we didn't have it.
  4. I remember my mother in laws terraced house where the front room was never used. It was cleaned and dusted once a week and only used if visitors called or for funerals. Even though they had three children, the kitchen was used for everything, cooking, homework and for bathtime. Is it a working class thing do you think?
  5. Last week
  6. After a bit more research it looks like by 1967 the area above the canal basin was converted to a Car Park, presumably to cater for the increasing need for parking in the city centre. It's ironic that those who predicted that small goods depots would not be needed and that the future would be Tinsley Yard, got it very wrong! In reality Tinsley Yard never achieved full capacity and the smaller goods yards would have been very handy today, with all the parcel traffic around. Of course the railways were never allowed to compete with Road Services for goods and even in the 60's and 70's charges were imposed on British Rail for goods traffic, that were easily undercut by road haulage, who were not paying for the environment costs that they were creating. There were some sidings left over the other side of the canal, which show up on the later 1969 maps, explaining the coaches and wagons on the 1969 picture. The bride to the yard over the canal was still in place but carried no tracks. It was later removed.
  7. I came across this 1970's photo' recently, the old St. Bartholomew's, visible through the gap, and the houses on the right have gone but the old police station / dentist building is still there. I see from Google that St. Bartholomew's has been replaced by a new building on Primrose Hill.
  8. Many, many thanks to both Edmund and dunsbyowl1867 for their very quick replies. And the wealth of information they have given me - far more than I ever expected and I am extremely grateful. Has helped me with a much more rounded picture of the recipient of the silver vesta than I could have hoped for. Thanks again Chris
  9. A few snippets 1911 October 1919 November 1919 September 1921 December 1921 1929 Februray 1950
  10. If anyone has any information at akl on Leslie Norman Stubbs, born 1889 in Rotherham - died 1950 in Sheffield, I would be grateful to receive it. He played for Sheffield United Cricket Club certainly in 1919 and more than likely the years adjoining and was later the chairman of the Cricket Committee. He was also a member of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. The SUCC may have won honours in 1919 as he was presented with a silver engraved vesta commemorating his playing for the cricket club, Many thanks Chris
  11. At that time, High Storrs would have been the Central Technical School located on Leopold Street in the city centre
  12. Hello everyone, thanks for having me as a member. I am currently researching and writing about the Owls' darkest days of the 70s. The team were really struggling, but I think thank many fans remember the time fondly. I wonder why? If you were an Owls fan who remembers those times I have a survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CMNK95S I appreciate any time people can spend on this. I have the offer to put a couple of articles together on this which should be out by the summer. Full book to follow hopefully by Summer 2020. Many thanks John Dyson Westmidlandsowls@aol.co.uk @ourlowestebb1 on Twitter
  13. This country used to equip the railways of the world. My first machine commissioning job in Asia was in South Korea. One of the British men stopping in my hotel was overseeing the assembly of 200 underground trains exported from GEC Manchester. The new trains were to improve the Seoul underground ready for the Seoul Olympics. Having thrown our industry away we have to import trains now.
  14. I grew up on Ridgehill Ave leaving in 1966 when I was 14. Hollinsend Rec was our local park, an all year round venue. I remember the Whit Sunday parade and also have a vague memory of a fun day, with a clown and other entertainment. The park keeper (parky) in those days was Jack Metcalfe, a pleasent chap who knew most of our names. Every evening at dusk the parky would blow his whistle, clearing the park before locking the gates to the main park and play ground. The park buildings were all painted Sheffield green, a paint source which found it's way to various houses around the city! The large wooden hut in the play ground was open at the front, so once we knew the parky had gone home we would climb over the fence and use it as our den. I have a broken front tooth which is a result of an accident in the play ground. I was climbing on the front of the cast iron rocking horse when my pal Timmy Brammer jumped on at the back causing the head to fly up and clout me in the mouth! I attended Gleadless County School and the headteacher at that time was Mr Jack Spur. Our teacher in the top juniors was Mr Dyson and I also remember Barbara Metcalfe who was the other top junior teacher. She used to take us swimming to Park Baths on City Road. I remember Mr Spur passing away when we were in the early years at Hurlfield but I can't remeber the circumstances of his death. In those days the school was only on one side of Hollisend Road, the new buildings on the other side of the road were added later. My brother John passed away in 2004 and so we scattered his ashes in the long grass by the little stream. I was surprised to see that the stream had almost dried up, when we were kids it was quite fast flowing and was full of frogs and tiny fresh water shrimps. Wonderful childhood memories of a much loved park! Wazzie Worrall
  15. My gran used to work there, so my everyday cutlery is still Eye Witness (wth a little Mosely Rusnorstain thrown in) I've got a bunch of EW knives with Sheffield spelt incorrectly... I like Phlegm a lot, and though his art doesn't float everyone's boat, I suspect that his connection to this now might have saved that memorial stone which otherwise might have been simply sandblasted away - just my humble opinion
  16. There is an out of date page on Wikipedia about the Taylor's Eye Witness Works here ---------- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_Eye_Witness_Works ---------- and their home page, which amongst other things gives their reason for moving, is at this link ---------- http://taylors-eye-witness.co.uk/about-us/
  17. Was the cutlery company not called "Tailors Eye Witness? The development guy at Westall Richardsons was called Taylor and claimed a family tie up with Tailors Eye Witness!
  18. That's it thanks. Couldn't see for looking!
  19. Sorry I misunderstood. What I do is use the "unread content button" which should appear as on one of the pictures below , and when on the "unread content" page there should be a link top left or on the left of the same line to "activity". The activity page appears in order of date with latest activity first. You can also "mark the site read" so that old content that doesn't interest you will not appear in the unread content. "Mark the site read" in the top instance is in the menu extreme top right or in the second just to the right of unread content.
  20. No, I can start new threads, like this one I did here. - What I mean is, since the site isn't hugely busy (and I've read lots of things that interest me), I find myself logging on every so often now, however, I have to scroll down the whole forum to see any new posts. So, I'm looking at how to just click on new posts, and read those. That will encourage me to look more often. If it's not possible then that is perhaps why the site isn't as busy as it was. (if that makes sense)
  21. Is this the one you need? Different browsers and zoom levels vary the page but that button should be there ------
  22. Is there a 'new posts' button anywhere?
  23. Thank you, very interesting and such high quality images from so far back..
  24. My grandfather was a keen amateur photographer who died before I was born. My father had a box of his 3" glass slides that I inherited and have now digitised. Unfortunately only 2 are of Sheffield street scenes. Many of them are in the Yorkshire dales. There is even one that he took in Bruges and took one from the same bridge in Bruges to prove it. I have uploaded Fitzalan square previously. "Blade forging" was written on the other picture and may be my Grandmother's family.
  25. Pevsner Architectural Guide says the Eye-Witness Works built in 1852 was originally a two story building, construction work started c1875 extending the building and adding a third floor. It could simply be that Henry Baver/Beever was working on the construction site and with a bit of spare time on his hands decided to leave his mark on the building! Henry Ibbertson Beever was born at Slack Fields, Oughtibridge the son of Thomas & Harriet Beever, he was christened at St Nicholas Church Bradfield on the 4th of May 1843. His wife Priscilla Beever(nee Smith) died in 1930 aged 83.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?