Crows Nest

RichardB

Guest plain talker

New one to me; no known keepers. Closed.

Hallo Richard, You give two addresses for The Crow's Nest, High Pavement Row, and St John's Road.

Does this mean that there were two pubs in the Hyde Park area, named "The Crows Nest", and the one on High Pavement Row perhaps took the name from a previous CN from before the flats were built?

(As per The Park Gardeners Club, which is on its third building that I know of:- the first in the old Park District, the second on Hyde Park Flats itself, and the third, the current one on Bernard Road/ cricket Inn Road built in the last twenty years)

I remember the CN on Hyde Park Flats.

The "best" room had an elevated view across the Don Valley.

I found it puzzling that two out of the three pubs on HPF had "nautical" themed names (The Samuel Plimsoll, and The Crow's Nest) but the third didn't; it was called "The Target". (ok, four pubs, if you count The Earl)

Hallo Richard, You give two addresses for The Crow's Nest, High Pavement Row, and St John's Road.

Does this mean that there were two pubs in the Hyde Park area, named "The Crows Nest", and the one on High Pavement Row perhaps took the name from a previous CN from before the flats were built?

(As per The Park Gardeners Club, which is on its third building that I know of:- the first in the old Park District, the second on Hyde Park Flats itself, and the third, the current one on Bernard Road/ cricket Inn Road built in the last twenty years)

I remember the CN on Hyde Park Flats.

The "best" room had an elevated view across the Don Valley.

I found it puzzling that two out of the three pubs on HPF had "nautical" themed names (The Samuel Plimsoll, and The Crow's Nest) but the third didn't; it was called "The Target". (ok, four pubs, if you count The Earl)

I may, as ever, be wrong with the address; Hyde Park is no specialization of mine - all comments taken on board.

I believe there was one Crows Nest; maybe a visit to our well respected Maps section <Shudder> would provide some clues to the buildings of the area in the 1950's.

Further information/memories on these all all pubs gratefully received, none of this work is "the whole truth", merely an attempt to collate a bunch of data as it becomes available - with hope that people will pick faults, provide points of discussion, hopefully point the way towards a more complete story (more accurate) - with that in mind and to show that there is still much to learn ....

I don't have a Samuel Plimsoll boozer anywhere on my lists - go figure - any details appreciated, names, dates etc.

Guest plain talker

I may, as ever, be wrong with the address; Hyde Park is no specialization of mine - all comments taken on board.

I believe there was one Crows Nest; maybe a visit to our well respected Maps section <Shudder> would provide some clues to the buildings of the area in the 1950's.

Further information/memories on these all all pubs gratefully received, none of this work is "the whole truth", merely an attempt to collate a bunch of data as it becomes available - with hope that people will pick faults, provide points of discussion, hopefully point the way towards a more complete story (more accurate) - with that in mind and to show that there is still much to learn ....

I don't have a Samuel Plimsoll boozer anywhere on my lists - go figure - any details appreciated, names, dates etc.

OK, I'm happy to help with what scant information I have.

the details:-

The Samuel Plimsoll

Bungay Row

Hyde Park Flats

This pub would have opened around 1965 when the flats opened, and will have closed just prior to the clearances in about 89/90 for the 1991 World Student Games renovation of the flats. I'm afraid I couldn't tell you the dates or names of the Hosts.

What made me query the Crows Nest was that there were three pubs called "The Target", one on Infirmary Road, the other two in the Park Area before the Target on Hyde Park Flats (which has also been omitted from the lists above) one is listed as being at at 40-42 Reuben Street, the other at 75, St John's Road.

The Target in the days of the Hyde Park Flats was approximately around 85/86/ 87 Chancel Row. again, the dates will be roughly the same as those of The Samuel Plimsoll and the Crow's Nest. The main block, which was the block The Target was on, was demolished in 1991/2 after the World Student Games. I'm sorry I don't have any info on the Landlords/ landladies.

OK, I'm happy to help with what scant information I have.

the details:-

The Samuel Plimsoll

Bungay Row

Hyde Park Flats

This pub would have opened around 1965 when the flats opened, and will have closed just prior to the clearances in about 89/90 for the 1991 World Student Games renovation of the flats. I'm afraid I couldn't tell you the dates or names of the Hosts.

What made me query the Crows Nest was that there were three pubs called "The Target", one on Infirmary Road, the other two in the Park Area before the Target on Hyde Park Flats (which has also been omitted from the lists above) one is listed as being at at 40-42 Reuben Street, the other at 75, St John's Road.

The Target in the days of the Hyde Park Flats was approximately around 85/86/ 87 Chancel Row. again, the dates will be roughly the same as those of The Samuel Plimsoll and the Crow's Nest. The main block, which was the block The Target was on, was demolished in 1991/2 after the World Student Games. I'm sorry I don't have any info on the Landlords/ landladies.

All information welcomed; adds to my general confusion ! lol

Guest shellybarnes

All information welcomed; adds to my general confusion ! lol

Right Richard I think I may be able to help on a few questions here, Firstly the crows nest was not on a road so wouldnt have had that address.

Has for the Target my mom worked there twice, once approx 65 or 66 and again in 1970. Spoke to mom who says the landlord and landlady was Paul and mavis Kelly and they ran it for approx 8 to ten years she thinks they left in or around 1975.

I am not 100% but I think the road between the Target and the Dog Track was called st Johns Road if that helps jog any memories.

We lived on the hyde park on the same block as the Target on Dacre Row from 1964 to 1976.

The names of the rows was

1 Pavement

2 Bevis

3 Chancel

4 Dacre

5 Lord

6 Rowland

7 St Johns.

Lots of memories good and bad, havnt noticed if there is forum for hyde park.

Any way hope this has helped

Michele

Hello,

My father Fred Jennings was the last landlord of the ' Plimsoll just before the World Student Games.

As a service provider we were one of the last people to move off the flats back in the early 90's,

If i remember rightly our place and the Target were the last pubs to close.

I am looking for info on this pub that appears to have very little info available. In Tuffrey's recent book there is a picture of Ron Ward the landlord in 1975 and that's it. I understand this was in the top floor and I think out of the 3 major complexes (HP, Kelvin, Park Hill) this was the only one above ground level. Pictures particularly welcome

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2011 at 7:29 PM, M2TTJ said:

Hello,

My father Fred Jennings was the last landlord of the ' Plimsoll just before the World Student Games.

As a service provider we were one of the last people to move off the flats back in the early 90's,

If i remember rightly our place and the Target were the last pubs to close.

My boss had the electrical work for a pub chain, I think it was Tetleys. I did some wiring work on the Samuel Plimsoll when it was being built. That would be 1966 as I only worked for this firm 1 year. I was told that Samuel Plimsoll had a Sheffield connection. I have just found that he married a Sheffield girl, the daughter of a colliery owner, and lived in Whitely Woods Hall for a time before going to London.