Building to be bulldozed after all....

Guest tsavo

I can't place it. I've been to Edinburgh Zoo today with a car-full, wife, kidlette, her boyfriend, I'm shattered.

Go along Penistone Road toward the City, past Morrison at the Barracks and its the huge white building on the left in between Neepsend bridge (Where the Farfield Pub is) and Rutland Rd.....near the speed camera.

Looks a bit art deco style....very nice a building and it will be a crying shame if they pull it down.

Given the current trend in the City it could be turned into some flats but as our tax system favours rebuilding over refurbishing I fear we will loose many more gems like this over the years to come.

If it is mushett tools I will be quite sad. I had my very first job there upon leaving school. At least it won't get knocked down this week so I will at least get to see it again while on my visit home, unlike the cooling towers. I know they are all just bricks and mortar but buildings hold so many memories for so many people and it riles me that so many are dissappearing.

BTW thanks for the heads up on this one Tsavo.

Osborn Mushet Tools Ltd, (formely Samuel Osborn and Co.), Penistone Road looking towards (right) No. 155 Old Light Horseman Public House. June 1990.

s26372.jpg.1d40cbe77ec2e51d54a7aaffb42ed358.jpgs26372

Hydra Clarkson International Ltd, Penistone Road. 2010. a00485.jpg.6928910d46910967d9a2d61969057f0d.jpga00485

Built c.1940. Originally the Osborn Mushet Tool Company, later Clarkson Osborn and then Hydra Clarkson International Ltd. Demolished 2010. 

I may be wrong but I think this is Osborne Mushet's featured in this Pathe film. I sometimes waited outside for my girl friend who was a typist there. I realize the date is wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boginspro said:

I may be wrong but I think this is Osborne Mushet's featured in this Pathe film. I sometimes waited outside for my girl friend who was a typist there. I realize the date is wrong.

.... and they all caught the bus to work. 

Thanks Boginspro, hope it provides someone with that rare opportunity to spot a relative on the film.