Baptisms, Marriages & Burials for HEELEY PARISH CHURCH Sheffield

RichardB

There is an entry for

Raynes, Elizabeth Winifred (of 25 Gleadless Rd, born ). Baptised December 23, 1891, by ~ at Christ Church, Heeley.

Parents name(s) are Hannah Elizabeth & Stephen Henry ().

25 Gleadless Road is better known as the Sheaf View pub. Elizabeth is the younger sister of John Raynes who was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions in France in October 1915. Their younger brother Francis (Frank) was killed a week before the Austrian Army signed the Armistice on 4th November 1918 and is buried Tezze Cemetery in Northern Italy.

Elizabeth married in Sheffield a Mr. Samuel W James in 1916

Hey, you might just find one of yours in here :rolleyes:

Thanks, RichardB, you've turned up the baptism of Elsie in 1893, daughter of my mother's Uncle Joe MIRFIN.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, RichardB, you've turned up the baptism of Elsie in 1893, daughter of my mother's Uncle Joe MIRFIN.

Keep up the good work!

Hello Paul48, Welcome to SheffieldHistory, now, I'd completely forgotten about this resource ... worthwhile having a good trawl through the whole site everyone.

Guest Barbara M

Hello Paul48, Welcome to SheffieldHistory, now, I'd completely forgotten about this resource ... worthwhile having a good trawl through the whole site everyone.

Thanks from me too as I have found a couple of baptism's in my family tree, ( Willoughby ) , also passed it on to two other people who are connected to my tree to see what they can find !!

It's amazing what loose ends this sort of thing ties up ....keep up the good work !!

Barbara M

Guest joannelong

Thank you for this I have great interest in Heely Church as my dad was baptised there and also my grandmother's family live at various addresses on Cambridge Road, Ann Mills is buried there along with her son, how can I find who else is in that grave an also the MI

Thank you

Steph

The MI's and parish registers have been transcribed by Sheffield & District FHS and are available on disc also including St Pauls at Norton Lees.

Christ Church Heeley Parish Records: Baptisms 1848-1909, Marriages 1848- 1902, Burials 1848-1934, Monumental Inscriptions and St Paul Norton Lees Parish Records: Baptisms 1877-1994, Marriages 1877-1981
(includes photographs of churches) £8.75 including postage.
:)

Guest Marlene

Thank you for this I have great interest in Heely Church as my dad was baptised there and also my grandmother's family live at various addresses on Cambridge Road, Ann Mills is buried there along with her son, how can I find who else is in that grave an also the MI

Thank you

Steph

You're not another Aspinall researcher are you?

Regards,

Marlene

Having just had a quick look before printing it out I did see the name Memmot and may be the Grandfather of a man I used to work with called Henry Memmot who was a Plumber from Heeley. I may be wrong but the name is the same and Henry lived in Heeley all his life. Such a sad document to read when you get to the burials, so young.

Bubble Gum-Bubble Gum

If I am not mistaken it was in Heeley Parish Church that there was the gravestone of a young girl and the inscription was:-

Bubble Gum Bubble Gum

Don't eat Bubble Gum

It was Bubble Gum

That sent me to my grave!

I think she had chocked on a bubble Gum bubble

I only have a fleeting memory of this and I wonder if someone else can verify it.

It is certainly an interesting gravestone

I have a great grand uncle, Samuel Palfreyman d1918 buried at Heeley with his wife Mary Jane d1923. She was the daughter of Joseph Berley who built/ran the Waggon & Horses Inn at Heeley

On 10/04/2007 at 16:56, RichardB said:

Heeley_Parish_Church.txt

Hi Richard,

That was very useful to me. Can you tell me where you find these on the internet please?

As a Heeley lad I am always trying to find new info about the past.

Many thanks

Thanks Lyn, but have already visited that site many times before. No reference to such documents as RichardB gave us.

On 3/14/2013 at 12:16, Meersbrook said:

I have a great grand uncle, Samuel Palfreyman d1918 buried at Heeley with his wife Mary Jane d1923. She was the daughter of Joseph Berley who built/ran the Waggon & Horses Inn at Heeley

Very interesting Meersbrook,

I'm trying to find out more about Joseph Berley as I have great personal interest in the Wagon & Horses in particular (sadly, just closed down for good) besides history of Heeley and it's people in general.

I wondered how a young man like Joseph, who died at 31 years came to own the old Wagon & Horses and to afford to demolish it and build the imposing Wagon we see today.

Also seems strange that he lived on Well Rd. when he owned The Wagon.

I also noticed that the concert room of The Wagon appears to be the original part of the old Wagon building which must have been left standing and added to when the new Wagon was built.