Poll Tax, Sheffield, West Riding Of Yorkshire 1379

Bayleaf

Thanks for posting that. There are some well known Sheffield surnames in that list.....Drake, Webster, Wheat, Lambert, Machon, Pawson, Scargill etc., but strangely no Staniforths, at least that I can see.

Did you notice the scribe lapsed into French part way through his labour and then switched back to Latin ?

Thanks for posting that. There are some well known Sheffield surnames in that list.....Drake, Webster, Wheat, Lambert, Machon, Pawson, Scargill etc., but strangely no Staniforths, at least that I can see.

Did you notice the scribe lapsed into French part way through his labour and then switched back to Latin ?

I'd need that transcribing being rubbish at French and having no idea when it comes to Latin.

What is the iijd after most of the names ?

It's the amount of tax they were liable for. Using Roman numerals, where there was a row of 'i's, they would use a 'j' instead of an 'i' I assume to make it more easily read. The 'd' is pence, as in pre-decimal currency, so

iijd = 3d = three old pence.

I had noticed that Gramps. I wonder if it was a lapse of concentration, or something more deliberate. If so I can't imagine what it would be.