Barbers/Hairdressers.

darra

Anybody remember the Barbers/hairdressers under the Stonehouse pub or near by I think.Very plush very olde worlde.Used to sit in private booths to have your haircut.

Don't remember that barbers shop... I do remember Lew Burgin ? on the gallery in Castle Market, the barbers shop on lower pavement (Hyde Park) and one at the bottom of West Street which had a toy car for kids to sit in rather than the full on barbers chair.

I remember John Fanthams on division street with its blue and white sign.

Isn't that the place where Steve was, the guy who used to crew panzer tanks during our little disagreement with Germany?

Guest parkwooder

my mother used to take me to Scotts ladies hairdressers on Nursery Street, and the gents was in the Wicker.

Guest shezza91

Isn't that the place where Steve was, the guy who used to crew panzer tanks during our little disagreement with Germany?

I remember John Fanthams, I used to go there. Was Steve the one with the foreign accent?

Guest jossman

A very good mate and old school chum of mine was "Eric". He had the barbers on Leppings Lane, Hillsborough. He cut my hair to join the Royal Navy when I was 15 as a boy entrant and made a damn fine job of scalping me. We became firm friends over the years. Sadly he retired to Cyprus and had to return home with terminal cancer and passed away in the Northern General. I am still in touch with his first wife Pat who also attended Owler Lane in the early 50's.

Eric was a good fisherman and passed away at too young an age, he is sadly missed.

PS. Eric took over the shop from Tom, a Barber of the old school who until his retiring always used the lighted taper to singe the back of your hair. Trouble was he had glasses like beer bottle bottoms and often burnt the back of your neck !!!

Guest Leipzig

I remember John Fanthams, I used to go there. Was Steve the one with the foreign accent?

Yes that was Steve, his accent suggested that he had been born in Poland, and he was the Pope's (John Paul II) double to look at. Infact he used to have a picture of the Pope on the wall, just to take the mickey out of himself - he had a good sense of humour. The other barbers there were Graham and John, but it was Steve who leased/rented the shop. John had joined Steve when his old shop at the top end of Cambridge Street was demolished. If I remember correctly Graham stopped working there through ill health before the premises were eventually taken over by Taylor & Taylor.

Pope John Paul II

I used to go to that barbers near the Stonehouse. Think it was called Harrisons but might be wrong. I remember that it was full of dark wood paneling which made it very dim inside. It must have been hemmed in by other buildings as there were no widows and the celiling, which seemed miles away had skylights.

You used to wait in the narrow corridor until you were called into a booth. I then had to sit and wait for my Dad to have his hair cut first. Then a big cushion was put on the seat and it was my turn. I hurt but I got a sweet at the end. The man who cut my hair used to have a big scar on his forehead as if he had a plate in it. He must have left because my hair was then cut by a small Italian guy who was always having a laugh and a joke and wasn't as rough with the scissors and comb.

Guest murray10

Yes that was Steve, his accent suggested that he had been born in Poland, and he was the Pope's (John Paul II) double to look at. Infact he used to have a picture of the Pope on the wall, just to take the mickey out of himself - he had a good sense of humour. The other barbers there were Graham and John, but it was Steve who leased/rented the shop. John had joined Steve when his old shop at the top end of Cambridge Street was demolished. If I remember correctly Graham stopped working there through ill health before the premises were eventually taken over by Taylor & Taylor.

Pope John Paul II

I remember many years ago,i must have been about 9 or 10, noticed a familiar face going into johnny fantham's shop (then in the arcade at the bottom of the moor),i said to my dad ,"i'm sure that's Peter Springett ,so i followed him into the shop,and asked him for his autograph,at which this point,unbeknown to me,a guy cutting hair said "do you want mine as well",i took one look at him, and said "nahh",well i didn't know it was hillsborough legend Johnny fantham

Welcome to the site Murray10. I am not sure what Peter Springett was doing in there as I recall he did not have too much hair to start with lol

Guest Noise Heat Power

In the early seventies my mum used to have her hair cut at a place next to The Stonehouse, but my memory tells me it was a bit more salon-like than barber-like. It had an interior window that actually looked INTO the Stonehouse, when it was in that 'pretend Victorian Street' phase. Fascinating to a kid like me who used to sit staring through the window at what looked like a Victorian cobbled street but was actually the boozer. I just remember being rather confused by the whole thing actually.