Sheffield Paintings

syrup

Interesting insight to Flood damaged painting restoration.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8652000/8652516.stm

Guest Trefcon

I was in that building last year meeting Clara Morgan to photograph a roll of honour whilst they were working on some of the pictures. I wish you could all see what else they have in that store, a complete Alladins cave of Sheffield goodies!! I still have an open invitation to visit Clara again to look at some other stuff so i might pull my finger out and get myself there! (with the camera of course)

I was in that building last year meeting Clara Morgan to photograph a roll of honour whilst they were working on some of the pictures. I wish you could all see what else they have in that store, a complete Alladins cave of Sheffield goodies!! I still have an open invitation to visit Clara again to look at some other stuff so i might pull my finger out and get myself there! (with the camera of course)

I know you posted this a long time ago but I was wondering if there was any sort of database of oil paintings in Sheffield? I am trying to find 2 portraits in paticular.

I would be very grateful for any help,

JSP

... but I was wondering if there was any sort of database of oil paintings in Sheffield?

Paintings, sculptures, etchings, photographs - we would like to build the best index of all of these - does anyone have any to contribute please ? Original images, photocopies, or links. We can offer to scan stuff on your ehalf if that suits you better (he says from over a hundred miles away) - scanning is a serious offer if you do not have the equipment ...

Paintings, sculptures, etchings, photographs - we would like to build the best index of all of these - does anyone have any to contribute please ? Original images, photocopies, or links. We can offer to scan stuff on your ehalf if that suits you better (he says from over a hundred miles away) - scanning is a serious offer if you do not have the equipment ...

That could be a huge undertaking unless you mean the more recognised artists, the Stanley Royle / Joseph McIntyre / Joe Scarborough types. My brother is a very accomplished Sheffield artist, albeit one of hundreds who ply their trade in the vibrant art scene that Sheffield promotes. (We lost out in the Cultural Capital thing to who? I can't remember) I can send a copy of his portfolio or a link to his website to kick off this index.

I know you posted this a long time ago but I was wondering if there was any sort of database of oil paintings in Sheffield? I am trying to find 2 portraits in paticular.

I would be very grateful for any help,

JSP

It is frustrating that The Public Catalogue Foundation haven't published a South Yorkshire Catalogue yet, having done North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

Guest Southwell

I appreciate that this posting was sometime ago but I wondered if anyone knows anything about a portrait painter called H.F. Crighton active in Sheffield in the 1870s/80s. He painted portraits of several of the industrialists including one of my family members George Barnsley who was Master Cutler in 1883. We would love to know more about H.F Crighton and would dearly love to find the portrait of GB. We know that H.F.C. was a Scot and returned to Scotland.

Southwell

I appreciate that this posting was sometime ago but I wondered if anyone knows anything about a portrait painter called H.F. Crighton active in Sheffield in the 1870s/80s. He painted portraits of several of the industrialists including one of my family members George Barnsley who was Master Cutler in 1883. We would love to know more about H.F Crighton and would dearly love to find the portrait of GB. We know that H.F.C. was a Scot and returned to Scotland.

Southwell

Hi Southwell,

there is a photograph of Hugh Ford Crighton on picturesheffield u03590

Southwell

Hello Southwell and Welcome to the Site.

Here is the view from Stockholm, Sweden (thankfully I'll be back in England on Friday) ...

Hugh Ford Crighton born 1824, Dalmellington, Ayrshire

A known address (1874), 1 East Parade, Sheffield.

1881 address 6 Broomhill Terrace West, Partick, Lanarkshire; aged 57. Artist/Portrait painter.

I am trying to find 2 portraits in paticular.

If you think that they may exist in the Museums Sheffield collection, your best bet would be to contact them directly via the link at http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresite/html/contact.asp giving them as much info as you can (names, dates, reason, etc.). I'm not saying that they will be able to help, but it is worth try. As you may have read, there have been cuts there, so be patient!

contact them directly via the link at http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresite/html/contact.asp giving them as much info as you can (names, dates, reason, etc.).

Thanks,

I have tried using that contact portal before and have in fact sent 2 messages during the summer. So far I have not recieved a reply. I also tried e-mailing them directly. Looks like the only way I will get through is to go in person which is difficult when you live in Scarborough! Oh, and the snow!

JP

Hello,

Just for those interested; I got a reply from a curator at the art gallery just last week! They have managed to find 2 out of 3 of the paintings I was looking for + an unexpected plaster cast which sounds interesting. Thanks for the help and links,

JP

Guest artofaustralia

Southwell

Hi there, I actually acquired a painting by H.F. Crighton from a Tasmanian art collection late last year. On the back it is written "of the young G Barnsly". I assume this is of your family member? Please send me an email to youreoutoftouch@hotmail.com and I can send you an image. Cheers

H. F. Crighton was an Ayrshire laddie, 62 years old when he

died in Scotland in 1886, having gone there from Sheffield on a visit. His

father fought in the Scots Guards at Waterloo, and the son was a tailor when he

first exhibited paintings in the Edinburgh Academy, afterwards going for study

in Paris. He lived in Sheffield for 30 years, and helped the local School of

Art a great deal, whilst he occupied a seat in the Town Council from 1869 to

1877. Ill health interfered with his work more than once, and he indulged in one

memorable trip to Algiers with his friend, W. Keeling, in 1883, and both found a

new field there for their talents. His principal local portraits were of Messrs.

Thomas Moore, W. C. Leng, Thomas Jessop, W. F. Dixon, Dr. Falding, and R. N.

Phillips, the last being exhibited in the Academy.

Source

It is frustrating that The Public Catalogue Foundation haven't published a South Yorkshire Catalogue yet, having done North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

Public Catalogue Foundation - Oil Paintings in Public Ownership South Yorkshire: Sheffield

350 pages, over 2,400 images, very heavy. Bought one today in the Millennium Gallery.