Southern And Richardson Cutlers Sheffield

Guest midaspeak

Guest midaspeak

Does any one have any information about Southern and Richardson Cutlers. I am the great grand son of Southern and have only recently discovered my Grandfather had a cutlery business in Sheffield.

I believe that the business started in the late 1800,s. They apparently made knives and flat ware for the White star line, Bowie knives for the American market ane military daggers for the British and Canadian market.

Does any one have any information about Southern and Richardson Cutlers. I am the great grand son of Southern and have only recently discovered my Grandfather had a cutlery business in Sheffield.

I believe that the business started in the late 1800,s. They apparently made knives and flat ware for the White star line, Bowie knives for the American market ane military daggers for the British and Canadian market.

Hello and Welcome Midaspeak

Follow this link to some information about S&R; you can add

Samuel Richardson, home Hanover Buildings in 1849 to the list. Henry Ernest Brant is still "one of mine". Not finding much on "Southern", do you have names.. dates you could let us know please.

Good Luck, keep us up to date.

Just to add ..

Southern & Richardson Ltd. cutlery manufacturers,

manufacturers of table, silver-plated, dessert,

pen, pocket, cook &c. knives, razors, scissors &c.

Don Cutlery works, Doncaster Street & Ellis St.

Guest midaspeak

Thanks RichardB and SteveHB dont know much more, any more info would be greatly appreciated

midaspeak

"Derelict Brunswick Hotel 54, Thomas Street at junction of Egerton Street, (closed 1964). Premises on left include Southern & Richardson Ltd., Cutlery Manufacturers, Don Cutlery Works."

Link to picturesheffield

The Brunswick Hotel was demolished

but the factory was still there at the time this Google image was taken.

image from Google street

(anyone know if this still stands please)

Link to Google street view

A brief mention from the National Archives

In 1921 Joseph Elliot and Sons was incorporated by Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers Limited. The latter had been incorporated on May 8th 1919 and formed with the sole intention of acquiring five cutlery businesses in Sheffield: Thomas Turner and Company (Sheffield) Limited; Needham, Veall and Tyzack Limited; Joseph Elliot and Sons; Lockwood Brothers Limited; and Southern and Richardson Limited.

Guest wellington03

Hi midaspeak,

Can't really add much to what's already been said, seen one or two Vic era multi-bladed sportsman's made by the firm, excellent quality.

I've attached four scans from a C1930s S & R product brochure, that show a small range of the firms later wares.

Mick

Hi midaspeak,

Can't really add much to what's already been said, seen one or two Vic era multi-bladed sportsman's made by the firm, excellent quality.

I've attached four scans from a C1930s S & R product brochure, that show a small range of the firms later wares.

Mick

Excellent posting Wellington03, Thank you.