Luftwaffe planes in Sheffield?

On 26/02/2010 at 11:49, dr_gn said:

Mike,

Well, after a bit of digging, it looks like it's a Heinkel He111 type H-1.

The triangle on the side is just to indicate the type of fuel used, and is common to many Luftwaffe aircraft (in this case, the number "87" means 87 octane B4 aviation gasoline).

As you probably guessed, VDM is the propeller manufacturer.

And yes it looks like the prop wasn't turning when it crashed.

The size of the tent makes me think the stbd wing is in place.

Really, all we have to go on is the aircraft type, the general camoflague pattern, the light coloured spinners and the darker (possibly red?) number (7?) on the fuselage.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Keith_exS10 said:

As an elderly newcomer may l add a few thoughts on  the subject of the German planes . The Messerschmidt seems to have been well covered but the Heinkel less so. 

Firstly the location and time. During the Blitz the area  opposite St. Mary's church on Bramall Lane was bombed and later cleared and levelled  l cycled from Hunters Bar to see a Heinkel somewhere in the region of Sheldon Street more or less right by Bramall Lane. As has already been said I think this also was 6d to go into a little enclosure and get close to what we had heard but not seen. Again this was also a "Wings for Victory" fund raising effort and was one of a series of displays round the country.  As  I remember it was in a fair state apart from having come down heavily. I have no recollection of MASSIVE damage. Walk round and peer in only.

SecondlyI have my doubts that the plane is the one in the photo. If it was then it was taken elsewhere as an official.photo. l do not remember any form of canopy over it but l may be wrong. Another 6d for a photo and that was most of the week's pocket money gone.At that time official nomenclature was a closed book and for months l went round telling relatives it was a Heinkel He 111  M K V A. lt was a long time before it dawned that it was a Mark 5A. A nice analysis of the plane in the photo  by two members of the photo though.

I personally went out of curiosity  We had sat through the Blitz in our shelter and heard them overhead. l just wanted to see one. No ideas  about gloating over the plane or the crew. Satisfied, I cycled back home. Apologies for  being a bit vague but it never occurred to me to take notes in case it came up seventy odd years later.

Final apologies for prodding this particular sleepng dog.

• Like 1

The Messerschmidt 110 seems to have been well covered but the Heinkel  has quietly disappeared. Most certainly both types were not either at the same place or at the same time.

The Blitz had been and gone and the area round Bramall Lane. Denby St. Sheldon St and Boston St had been cleared and levelled. We learned that a touring display of a Heinkel bomber was to be set up  there. As usual it was a money-raising exercise for one or other of the wartime funds. As I recall at this range it too was roped off and cost 6d  (2.1/2p) to get close. Look but don't  touch and keep out. I expected a wreck but it was in fairly good order. Sort of good belly landing. For another 6d. I bought the official  photograph which was most of the week's pocket money gone. Certainly there wasn't enough for the third method, the National Saving stamps. 

Two members have done a marvellous job of analysing the photo and the plane.Rather them than me. with the reservation that I doubt If it was taken in Sheffield.   I suspect it  to be the official photograph on sale at every site  as the surroundings don't look right. The canopy l don't remember but I could be wrong. I think the plane itself is right. Pity l didn't  make notes at the time but l didn't expect to tell the tale seventy odd years on. 

. One thing that  sticks in my mind was an information board  with the plane details. For weeks l regaled everybody with the story of seeing a Heinkel  He 111  M K V A.   Years after it dawned and it  became a Mark 5A. The good dr_gn says type H1.  I take his word. 

It was one of the usual wartime morale boosters, more so in this case because we had not so long before heard but not seen what was bombing us. I went out of curiosity. No thought of animosity to it or the crew who from the state it was in should have survived. It was just one more  that wouldn't  bother us again. I have since  wondered why that site was chosen. It was big enough, easy access, flat and free but definitely off the beaten track, unlike Barkers Pool.  Anyway,  been there, seen it, done it so cycle back to Hunters Bar in time for tea and hope we wouldn't hear the sirens that night.

• Like 1