Walkland Road, Attercliffe

emo924

Does anyone know of a road in Attercliffe called either WACKLAND or WALKLAND ROAD?

I have medals to a man who, according to the 1901 Census lived at either 2 or 20 Court on that road. The census image is not that clear but I am saisfied it is one or the other.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ChrisE

Does anyone know of a road in Attercliffe called either WACKLAND or WALKLAND ROAD?

I have medals to a man who, according to the 1901 Census lived at either 2 or 20 Court on that road. The census image is not that clear but I am saisfied it is one or the other.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ChrisE

Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forum. I can't find either name either as a modern name or a previous road renamed, but Attercliffe has changed so much it may simply have disappeared under new development. Our resident directory buffs will be along shorthly I'm sure, so watch this space!

Walkland Road is shown as being off Brompton Road near Attercliffe Road, looks to be a short road,

do we have a name to work with, may help.

Great work Madannie77; strange no mention of it at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/DirectoriesIndex.html or http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

I'm intrigued :blink:

I note that the index to the Bacon Maps has a Walkland Street in the right map reference for Walkland Road, but it is not named on the actual map. The Pawson & Brailsford map has it as Walkland Road, so I assume (dangerous thing!) that it has been so called for quite some time.

Man thanks for your response and for the information you have provided - it is very useful and much appreciated.

Thanks again

Chris

Map 176, towards the left hand edge of the map, off Brompton Road. Not a long road.

Neddy

Many thanks for this - the name of the man who's medals I have is : JOHN FREDERICK EATON. On the 1901 census he is shown as beiung 4 years old.

He lived at what appears to be 2 Ct 1 House together with his widowed mother, Rose a 38 year old washerwoman and his elder sister, Alice who was 12 in 1901.

He was killed in action on the 19th April 1918 whilst serving with the 1/4th Battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and is commemorated in Tyne Cot Cemetery near Ypres.

He would have been 20 or 21 years old.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

Chris

Walkland Road is shown as being off Brompton Road near Attercliffe Road, looks to be a short road,

do we have a name to work with, may help.