Queen's Hotel

Sheffield History

THE QUEENS HOTEL

Scotland Street - City Centre

Now boarded up and surely the next on the list for demolition The Queen's Hotel is a sorry sight to behold

Behind the old police station and next to a huge building development in the area it's now boarded up and ready to be knocked down

Thought I would snap it before it's gone..

Vern (Vernon) and Wyn (Wynnie) Hookway - keepers in late 70's - early 80's would be mortified, as am I. Loved the Queens.

Oh dear, not a pretty site.

I had my wedding reception there in the 1960s. Later I went home to change out of my wedding dress then came back to the reception

I went straight to the bar to get a drink but the landlord wouldn't serve me because he said I wasn't old enough. Once I'd got changed

in the evening he didn't realise it was the same girl who's wedding it was and thought I was some guest, but I was old enough.

On 1/2/2017 at 22:16, RichardB said:

Vern (Vernon) and Wyn (Wynnie) Hookway - keepers in late 70's - early 80's would be mortified, as am I. Loved the Queens.

Me too ....Used to work behind bar and my stepmom played organ there...Vern was my dad's best pal....Happy days

Not long for this world, either. The Queens Hotel and Robert Neill's building are due to be demolished soon for a development of 229 apartments:

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=Q6ZJF2NYLIU00

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/85-scotland-st-10-8-flrs-approved.2267078/#post-167685316

57 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

I think it's gone

Yes I went past at the weekend and it was halfway through being demolished. 

• Like 1