Thomas Willie Acaster

hilldweller

I am trying to find out some details about one of my grandfather's brothers, Thomas Willie Acaster who died on the Somme on the 14th July 1916. He served with the 8th bn East Yorkshire Regiment and fell at Bazentin and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. He was 36 years old when he died and I think married in 1904. Does anyone have any census information as to where he lived or any information about any family. I believe he was born at Wrights Hill off London Road. His father was Edwin Acaster and his mother was called Emma nee Wilson. I understand he is mentioned on one of the steelworks war memorials but I can't remember which one.

I was told many years ago by an elderly aunt that an old gentleman we called Uncle Edwin was his son but I'm not sure about that. "Uncle" Edwin was a disabled retired miner who lived in a tiny cottage on Luke Lane Wadsley and was a champion pidgeon racer and I'm sure he told me that his family came from Darnall. He died in the late 1960's

Any information would be a bonus. Thanks in anticipation.

Hilldweller

East Yorkshire Regiment, Pte. 15993

City of Sheffield Roll of Honour of Sheffield Men (Deansgirl, any information please ?)

Worth PM'ing RichardS for 1911 Census details.

I am trying to find out some details about one of my grandfather's brothers, Thomas Willie Acaster who died on the Somme on the 14th July 1916. He served with the 8th bn East Yorkshire Regiment and fell at Bazentin and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. He was 36 years old when he died and I think married in 1904. Does anyone have any census information as to where he lived or any information about any family. I believe he was born at Wrights Hill off London Road. His father was Edwin Acaster and his mother was called Emma nee Wilson. I understand he is mentioned on one of the steelworks war memorials but I can't remember which one.

I was told many years ago by an elderly aunt that an old gentleman we called Uncle Edwin was his son but I'm not sure about that. "Uncle" Edwin was a disabled retired miner who lived in a tiny cottage on Luke Lane Wadsley and was a champion pidgeon racer and I'm sure he told me that his family came from Darnall. He died in the late 1960's

Any information would be a bonus. Thanks in anticipation.

Hilldweller

Hi Hilldweller

If this is your man Looks like a hasty marriage back in 1904 (from freeBMD) ;-)

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

Marriages Jun 1904 Acaster Thomas Willie Sheffield 9c906,

Births Sep 1904 ACASTER Edwin Sheffield 9c508,

Hi Hilldweller

Thanks Dunsbyowl, that looks like the problem solved regarding "Uncle Edwin". Thinking about it that would make him in his late fifties in the early 1960's which is just what I would have guessed. Thomas Willie also had a brother called Edwin but he was born in 1884 or thereabouts and if he was still living would have been in his middle seventies at that time.

If anyone can help with a census return for 1911 that might tell me if Edwin had any brothers or sisters.

Thanks again.

Hilldweller

1881 - for reference only, making no claims.

Struggling with 1891.

The family must have originated in the Vale of York, there are two villages called Acaster on the banks of the Ouse, Acaster Malbis and Acaster Selby. When I obtained the printout from the Morman Index years ago, it could be seen that the area of East Yorks and the south bank of the Humber was swarming with Acasters from 1500 onwards and they are still well established in the Goole/Thorne area. My branch of the family came from Rotherham, via Pychley Northants, back to Rotherham and then Nottingham and Sheffield in the mid 19th century.

HD

The family must have originated in the Vale of York, there are two villages called Acaster on the banks of the Ouse, Acaster Malbis and Acaster Selby. When I obtained the printout from the Morman Index years ago, it could be seen that the area of East Yorks and the south bank of the Humber was swarming with Acasters from 1500 onwards and they are still well established in the Goole/Thorne area. My branch of the family came from Rotherham, via Pychley Northants, back to Rotherham and then Nottingham and Sheffield in the mid 19th century.

HD

1871 Edwin Acaster, born Rotherham

1861 Edwin Acaster, born Rotherham

Hammond Street ? <New eyes please>

Heading in the wrong direction, time-wise there Richard my pal he he

As requested

Been doing a bit of research for you HD, (anything but continue decorating!), From the 1911 census you will see that Edwin is living with Charles and Hilda Darwent, Hilda was his Mothers' sister and Charlotte Dyson, listed as a boarder, is his maternal Grandmother. Prior to marrying Edwin Dyson, Charlotte was married to George Rutter with whom, she had Hilda and Ethel (Edwins' Mother), Ethel adopted the Dyson surname but Hilda maintained the Rutter name!

Charlottes' maiden name was Gregory her parents were John b1827 Notts and Maria b1822 Norfolk.

I hope this makes sense, if not please let me know and I will clarify, good hunting!

Been doing a bit of research for you HD, (anything but continue decorating!), From the 1911 census you will see that Edwin is living with Charles and Hilda Darwent, Hilda was his Mothers' sister and Charlotte Dyson, listed as a boarder, is his maternal Grandmother. Prior to marrying Edwin Dyson, Charlotte was married to George Rutter with whom, she had Hilda and Ethel (Edwins' Mother), Ethel adopted the Dyson surname but Hilda maintained the Rutter name!

Charlottes' maiden name was Gregory her parents were John b1827 Notts and Maria b1822 Norfolk.

I hope this makes sense, if not please let me know and I will clarify, good hunting!

I think that we've got a bit side-tracked here. Thomas Willie had the following brothers and sisters.

Edwin born 1884, Walter born 1890, Alfred (my grandfather) born 1881, Emily born 1876, Eleanor born 1886 and Ethel born 1888. Their parents were Emma Wilson born 1848 and Edwin Acaster (my great grandfather) born in Nottingham 1841. Edwin also had 3 other children by an earlier marriage. This Edwin's parents were Thomas Acaster (my great-great-grandfather) born 1815 Rotherham, a cordwainer, later of School Croft Sheffield and Georgina Mackmain from Pychley Northants who he presumably met while learning the boot trade in Pychley. Thomas was about 16 when he and Georgina aged about 24 had their first child in Northants (dirty little tyke). Thomas's father was also called Thomas (Akester) and married Mary Needham in Rotherham in 1807.

I'm sure that the other Edwin is related somehow as it's a family name and there are plenty of branches he could be part of.

Regards,

Hilldweller

Guest Trefcon

Thomas 's name appears on the Samuel Osborn Roll of Honour at Kelham.

He is also in the Sam Osborn War Memorial book, this is at Local Studies. This is his entry -

'enlisted from Regent Works in the early days of the war in the East Yorkshire Regiment. He worked in the Sheep Shear Department and served in France, being killed in action on July 14th 1916'.

He was also posted as 'wounded in September 1915' in the regimental magazine 'The Snapper'. (These are all at York, and you need an appointment to view them).

There is no image of him i can find, yet.

Dean.

1851 - who knows ...

1841 Edwin Acaster

[i have relatives from Wellgate, Rotherham in 1841 ...]

Thank-you RichardB,

this Edwin born 2/4/1822 was one of the brothers of Thomas Acaster born 3/1/1815 who was my great-great-grandfather. Other brothers include Joseph born 10/2/1808, Amos born 12/10/1810 and George born 7/1/1818. Their father was another Thomas (Akester) born 1791, and I think that he married a Mary Needham born 1783 who died in 1831 which would account for her absence from the 1841 census. This last Thomas is as far as I have been able to go without expensive subscriptions to websites.

Anyway it's all helping me to fill in branches of my family tree and very welcome.

There seem to be at least one other group of Acasters living in Sheffield today and eventually I want to try to see where they fit in.

Regards,

Hilldweller

Sorry huthwaite about my earlier post when I said that I didn't think it was the right Edwin. After reading your post again and counting on my fingers I have to agree with you. It gives me a bit more detail to fill in. My family tree which is presently written on on a piece of A3, it looks as though I shall finish up on A0 !!

One thing that puzzles me is a bit of family folk-lore that my great-grandfathers second wife Emma Wilson was from Scotland but all the census returns give her birthplace as Sheffield. I think it more likely that his mother Georgina Mackmain who his father met in Northants was of scottish descent.

If I could find a census return for her it might help, she died in School Croft, Sheffield about 1883.

Anyway thank you for your help and I hope the decorating is soon finished.

Hilldweller

A "spare" Acaster

Charles Henry Acaster, 291 Attercliffe Road (1905), Beerhouse

Could this be The Lambpool, 291 Attercliffe Common/Hilltop, Attercliffe ?

A "spare" Acaster

Charles Henry Acaster, 291 Attercliffe Road (1905), Beerhouse

Could this be The Lambpool, 291 Attercliffe Common/Hilltop, Attercliffe ?

That's the second beerhouse-keeping Acaster I've come across. There's no wonder I feel at home in a pub !

When I worked on Attercliffe Common in the 1960's I sometimes frequented the Lambpool. A bit of a dingy place as I recall. On one occasion someone had made a large "map of Ireland" on the tap-room floor and no-one seemed in a hurry to clean it up. I'll bet Charles Henry would have had his mop out a bit sharpish.

HD

Guest catey1484

lol

One thing that puzzles me is a bit of family folk-lore that my great-grandfathers second wife Emma Wilson was from Scotland but all the census returns give her birthplace as Sheffield. I think it more likely that his mother Georgina Mackmain who his father met in Northants was of scottish descent.

If I could find a census return for her it might help, she died in School Croft, Sheffield about 1883.

Hi, I've found Georgina Acaster in the 1861 & 1871 census on Ancestry, she is listed as being born in Pychley, Northamptonshire in both. (I've tried to attach the files, hope it works OK!)

I was interested in your family story about Emma Wilson being of Scottish descent. I have an Ann Wilson in my tree (born 1840 Sheffield) and some info that came from my great grandad he seemed to think she was scottish, although she is listed on all the census as born in Sheffield.

I wonder if your Emma and my Ann could be related? The possible parents I have for Ann are John Wilson, a cutler, and Elizabeth Trelfa. I can't see an Emma in the family on the census though. But if I've got the right parents, they are both listed as being born in Sheffield too, so the scottish link must be further back, if it exists at all in my tree!

Anyway if you ever find any more info about any scottish links to the Sheffield Wilsons please let me know! lol

Hi Hilldweller

hi hoping this may give a bit of a personal insight instead of just paperwork insight. Thomas Willie Acaster was my great grandfather and yes indeed had to get married rather quickly cos Uncle Edwin was on the way. I think he and his wife had 6 children but i'll have to check with my mum, I know there was Edwin,Ethel(eldest girl),Lottie and Nellie,then there was one that died when young(think it may have been from t.b but thats something else i'll have to check with my mum) and maybe another one(muuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!!!!). Ethel was my grandma and her birth was registered as 1st July 1906 although the 1st of July was an estimate cos when she was registered no one could actually remember the date she was born.Anyway Uncle Edwin did go to live at the top end of Capel Street(again my mum knows the address) when their mother couldn't manage all of them and every time he got drunk he used to cry that his mother had given him away and kept the rest-it did him some real damage. My Grandma was always told that her father was killed on 1st July 1916(her 10th birthday) but they didn't find out until the 14th. My Grandma married Lawrence Frederick Rusby on Christmas Day but i can't remember what year and they had my mum Kathleen Margaret Rusby(04-03-39).My Auntie Lottie married John Whitehead or Whitehouse and they had Mary and Elaine.Auntie Nellie married too but yet again i'll have to ask my mum the details. Hope that starts to make it a bit more personal and helps you feel as if you know them a bit more.