Family Tree Tips

Stuart0742

Hi Suzy,

There was a Frances M. PARKIN who married a Thomas HITCHEN in the September quarter of 1928 in Sheffield. Ref. 9c 1275. If this is the correct Frances Parkin then a copy of this marriage certificate would give you more info to work on.

Best wishes and good hunting,

Binsted 71

Thanks Binsted 71 - appreciate your help - thats something for me to go on. We think she married again after that but not too sure when and who too and there lies the problem :(

Guest binsted71

Thanks Binsted 71 - appreciate your help - thats something for me to go on. We think she married again after that but not too sure when and who too and there lies the problem :(

Hi again Suzy,

A certain Frances M. HITCHEN married a George A. YOUNG in the September quarter of 1957 in Sheffield. Ref 2D 458

Is she yours?

Hi again Suzy,

A certain Frances M. HITCHEN married a George A. YOUNG in the September quarter of 1957 in Sheffield. Ref 2D 458

Is she yours?

Binstead you are doing a grand job - could I ask you to send me any further info via a pm? That would be most appreciated. :)

I've been addicted to Genealogy since about 2003 with interruptions.

Lyn's posts are extremely interesting and although I've scanned the whole thread, I mean to go back and print her posts out.

I didn't see Rootschat.com mentioned (or may have missed it). There are extremely helpful people on there - it's really worth a visit!!

I have a subscription to Ancestry (World) and FindmyPast as I have relatives in England, Germany and the USA and would be more than welcome to search for someone's relative. I seem to have more luck finding these than my own!! I liken it to fishing (a sport that would drive me mad as I can't sit still for long! But, when you find what you're looking for, I can imagine the thrill is similar. Looking for other people's relatives doesn't diminish the thrill either!!

As my German great grandparents settled first in Bradford and then in Rotherham (they married in Rotherham Parish), I have always had an interest in Sheffield and surroundings. A very good source for searching is:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

I printed out the one containing Sheffield and found about 30 German pork butchers in it. Literally hundreds of Germans came over from the "Hohenlohe" area in Germany to settle in Yorkshire, especially, but also Lancashire, Derbyshire and other Northern Counties. Some settled in the South but I haven't found any of my ancestors there. They married mostly within themselves until about 1890 or so. If they needed help in their pork butcher's shops, they simply wrote home and "ordered" it.

Of course, with WWI, it was all over and I think some of my relations returned to Germany but I have still to find them.

My grandfather was already in Northwich, Cheshire and had his garage shop window smashed by a brick but the police were quickly on hand and arrested the offender. (Colin Lynch's book on Cheshire).

My grandfather married a Northwich woman, Jessie Whitlow and they had five daughters, one of which was my mother, Sybil Rolinson Pfisterer. The Pfisterers changed their name to Fisher at some point but my mother's birth certificate states Pfisterer.

My great grandmother, Margaretha Brück Pfisterer, married a second time after her husband, Hermann Pfisterer died at the age of 40. This time she married a man from Lincolnshire, a certain Robert Wallis and bore him 4 more children. Margaretha died in 1893 and her husband and children emigrated to the States.

Gill

... I printed out the one containing Sheffield and found about 30 German pork butchers in it. ...

You may wish to check this Site over Easter

Meanwhile, I'm happy to receive information on Pork Butchers, from any period, via PM or here.

You may wish to check this Site over Easter

Meanwhile, I'm happy to receive information on Pork Butchers, from any period, via PM or here.

Oops - a senior moment - it was Kelly's directory for the West Riding of Yorkshire!!

There were so many German pork butchers in Britain from roughly 1850 -1900, give or take a few years, and they built up a very strong network, especially those from the Hohenlohe district in Baden-Württemberg where my ancestors came from. They married mainly within the Hohenlohe families and brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. came over to learn the trade or to help in the households.

If you have any specific questions, please ask. I am by no means an expert on the subject but I have been following them around for a while, after learning where my gg-parents came from.

Gill

Hi Suzy,

There was a Frances M. PARKIN who married a Thomas HITCHEN in the September quarter of 1928 in Sheffield. Ref. 9c 1275. If this is the correct Frances Parkin then a copy of this marriage certificate would give you more info to work on.

Best wishes and good hunting,

Binsted 71

I have family history for a Thomas Hichen from Lambert Street born 1902 Sheffield

I have family history for a Thomas Hichen from Lambert Street born 1902 Sheffield

Hi Neddy : keep dipping my toe in and out of the water with regards to family history, hence the delay in replying to your post. Can you send me a pm with the details please? Many thanks in anticipation.

Having joined Ancestry not long ago, I would just like to warn others, if it has not been said before, to be careful with the information contained in other people's trees when Ancestry hints come up with them. :mellow: It's very clear that many people have not had the training in dealing with historical records and though they have attached records such as census to a person have not examined these records for clues. :unsure:

So far I have seen lots of errors that would see the roots of many people's tree come crashing down. :o Most are basic errors too! :(

For example a bad spelling in a census to a place called Hazbury in Yorkshire. :wacko: But even Google Maps can't find it!

Errors develop quickly too with common names such as John and William. Some people have ancestors jumping around parts of Yorkshire (and no doubt other areas too) and also changing trades then back again! :blink: This is largely because people latch on to a John born 1790 (say) find one in Leeds, who was baptised then and assume he was thier person. But in the same tree they have the census for 1861 that says he was born in Sheffield :rolleyes: That census linking to the parts of a tree they must know as true.

I think I could spend ages sending e-mails to the people with trees I know are wrong, but in most cases they have probably left Ancestry so not much point. I suppose that's one of the down sides of a fee based research site :mellow:

I'm about to enter year six with Ancestry, never read a single tree yet. My own research (for my purposes is sound, that's why my brickwall remains in the 1890's with George Arthur B); for other people I'm either resonably certain, or state it is for information only and should be checked.

A young lady at work recently joined Ancestry and was back to the 1500's in two or three lunchtimes - which is nice, but unlikely. Pre-1837 - treat with caution, prove your sources.

I like everyone else am descended from the primordial soup of South Yorkshire but if the onions can't be traced I don't claim them.

Having joined Ancestry not long ago, I would just like to warn others, if it has not been said before, to be careful with the information contained in other people's trees when Ancestry hints come up with them. :mellow: It's very clear that many people have not had the training in dealing with historical records and though they have attached records such as census to a person have not examined these records for clues. :unsure:

So far I have seen lots of errors that would see the roots of many people's tree come crashing down. :o Most are basic errors too! :(

For example a bad spelling in a census to a place called Hazbury in Yorkshire. :wacko: But even Google Maps can't find it!

Errors develop quickly too with common names such as John and William. Some people have ancestors jumping around parts of Yorkshire (and no doubt other areas too) and also changing trades then back again! :blink: This is largely because people latch on to a John born 1790 (say) find one in Leeds, who was baptised then and assume he was thier person. But in the same tree they have the census for 1861 that says he was born in Sheffield :rolleyes: That census linking to the parts of a tree they must know as true.

I think I could spend ages sending e-mails to the people with trees I know are wrong, but in most cases they have probably left Ancestry so not much point. I suppose that's one of the down sides of a fee based research site :mellow:

Yes, I agree with Stuart on comments re ancestry search. When on ancestry home page press "Search" on top bar. On new page that opens press "Go to old search" on top right (its in fairly small letters). Then go to census or whatever you want. I think the old search engine is infinately better than the new .

John

If you have ancestors that ended up at Burngreave Cemetery in Sheffield, you can find them now as Sheffield Indexers have completed the uploads of all the entries on thier site.

Just curious to know if Sheffield Indexers has approached Ancestry to see if they want to upload there records of BMD's? There's no reason they shouldn't ask to be paid for them, it would help fund S. I. site.

Perhaps S.I. can't do that for some reason or they have tried, but Ancestry won't part with any money, but I would be greatful to know either way.

How would I go about finding the grave of my great grandfather? His son is buried in Tinsley Park Cemetery and I assume that his father George would be there. He lived in Attercliffe, so he may be in Christchurch cemetery, but it is not longer cared for since the church was demolished after the bombing in WW2

George Stones born 1843 Attercliffe

Married to Eliza Fuller from Wells Next to the Sea, Norfolk in September 1868

Died aged 67 1910 Attercliffe

Where do I begin, or does someone have the answer?

A grateful Kevin

How would I go about finding the grave of my great grandfather? His son is buried in Tinsley Park Cemetery and I assume that his father George would be there. He lived in Attercliffe, so he may be in Christchurch cemetery, but it is not longer cared for since the church was demolished after the bombing in WW2

George Stones born 1843 Attercliffe

Married to Eliza Fuller from Wells Next to the Sea, Norfolk in September 1868

Died aged 67 1910 Attercliffe

Where do I begin, or does someone have the answer?

A grateful Kevin

I have had a quick look for you.

According to the S+DFHS CD for Attercliffe, Darnal and Tinsley Park Municipal, he does not seem to be in anyone of these three.

The S+DFHS CD for Attercliffe Christ Church only covers 1813 to 1902.

So my best guess would be either, City Road, or possibly still Attercliffe Christ Church.

Burials in grave Y1 150 General Cemetery, Sharrow (consecrated part) [no MI]

3 Dec 1899 6 Dec 1899 Gertrude Alice Gill 3m D. of George Ed J Gill, engineer 66 Pearl Street

6 Mar 1900 9 Mar 1900 Nora Gill 2y 6m D. of George Ed Jones Gill, engineer 66 Pearl Street

21 May 1910 26 May 1910 George Stones 66 Labourer Royal Infirmary [65 Bridport Road, Attercliffe]

02-Jan-25 07-Jan-25 Florence Lily Stones 18 Spinster 25 Anlaby Street

[date of death/date of burial/name/age/description/address or place where death occurred]

Hi,

All this extremely useful.

Did I see somewhere a breakdown of naming customs? - First born son named after father and so on. I should have taken note cant find it.

Thanks

Mike

Sheffield Archives and Local Studies have uploaded more Church records to the Findmypast site. If you are a member it's worth checking out. Example below:

GBPRS_YORKSHIRE_ENGLYOR1D_PR-44-1-3_00091.jpg

If you use to use Family Tree Maker with Ancestry then it's been announced the tree sync no longer functions with old versions of the software. You can buy a new software package now that will sync with Ancestry. But it is not backwards compatible.  

Ancestry have now got a link with the National Portrait Gallery. Which means if you have an Ancestry account you can find and see high quality images of ancestors if they are in the collection. There's also loads of famous people pictures to see anyway, even if you don't have a notable ancestor!   

Seeing as this thread was started many years ago, which ancestors subscriptions sites are considered the best these days?

Im currently using MyHeritage, having used their free photo colourising service with some old black and white family photos. Then noticed they had a free family tree building facility (for adding the info you already know). I then ended up subscribing to their full service which Is good, but I reckon most people will probably use ancestry.co.uk?

I suppose the best one to be on at the moment would be Find My Past, since it has the new census. But it does have a lot of Sheffield records on, more than other sites too. I think you can get access better to Newspaper records too. What it lacks is the ability to access other people's trees, at least it did when I was on it. Ancestry is only good if you have the Ancestry software that allows to sinc your tree online to your tree on the software. But only recent software will now do this. Old version's of Family Tree Maker will no longer sinc with Ancestry.  I joined with Ancestry simply because of the sinc thing. But the shortfall in Yorkshire area records is limiting the research. You sort of have to hope that Ancestry will get their hands on a batch of records that will make the expense of a year's subscription worth it.   

12 hours ago, History dude said:

Ancestry is only good if you have the Ancestry software that allows to sinc your tree online to your tree on the software. 

What purpose does the ancestry software serve please? I'm not familiar with it.

On 13/02/2022 at 10:11, LeadFarmer said:

What purpose does the ancestry software serve please? I'm not familiar with it.

If you make any changes to your off-line tree then it will sync the on-line tree and make the same changes to that, which saves you from typing or adding stuff twice. And if you or someone else makes changes to your on-line tree, you can sync again and it will make the changes to your off-line tree.  Some people allow other say family members to alter the tree. So the software cuts down all that duplication. It makes a back up so you can restore the tree if the changes were wrong.

• Like 1