Parkins and Oates around Kelham Street

andyc

Hello,

I've been tracing my family tree and have amassed a load of information on the Parkin and Oates families that were in the Kelham Street area during the c18-19. There was quite a clan of them down there, so if anyone is tracing these lines, they're welcome to the information. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who's tracing these families.

Regards,

andyc

Guest AnnH

Hello,

I've been tracing my family tree and have amassed a load of information on the Parkin and Oates families that were in the Kelham Street area during the c18-19. There was quite a clan of them down there, so if anyone is tracing these lines, they're welcome to the information. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who's tracing these families.

Regards,

andyc

Hello Andy

I am researching OATES for my sister-in-law. The earliest I have is William OATES born 1796 in Handsworth Woodhouse. He married Ann Taylor in 1927. I don't think there is a link with the Kelham Street OATES but thought'd I just enquire if you have them in your tree. You never know!

Regards - Ann :rolleyes:

Hello,

Regards,

andyc

I'll take you up on that offer, got ancestors from Dixon Street and Dun Fields, no recollection of those surnames, but 150 yards either way, I'm more than interested to have a look.

If I find any matches, I'll let you know and supply my info.

Thanks for the offer :rolleyes:

My apologies to you both for not replying sooner.

Hello Ann,

No, I've found no connection with the Oates from the Handsworth Woodhouse area as yet. Do you mean 1827 for William Oates marriage to Ann Taylor? I've come across both Oates and Parkins in the Handsworth area while searching the census returns. My lot appear to have been in the Kelham Street area from the early c19 or earlier, probably from when they first built in that area, but I'm not sure when that was exactly. If you're looking for any Oates in the Handsworth Woodhouse area, I can look them up for you on the census.

Hello Richard,

Most of the stuff I have is based around Thomas Parkin, my x5 great grandfather. It was his occupation of cowkeeper that initially caught my imagination, especially in such a built up industrialised area. There are census returns from 1841, his will, claims he made for damages arising from the Sheffield flood, PR records, and birth, marriage and death certs after 1837. There's also similar documents for his extended family including Oates. You're welcome to copies of anything I have. PM me an email address and let me know what you want.

Regards,

Andy

What I am looking for if anyone can help is a picture or print of Kelham Street or pictures/prints of the Kelham Street workhouse. I have the crappy photo of the workhouse with all the windows blown out already.

I think the area was demolished 1947/48 due to bomb damage...Thanks

`1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

11111111111115r444444444444 555555555555555555555

Now the kitten Ollie managed to type that all on his own !

Check out the Meetup at Lunchtime link, I posted some Workhouse stuff there and some maps/plans

It was his occupation of cowkeeper that initially caught my imagination, especially in such a built up industrialised area. There are census returns from 1841, his will, claims he made for damages arising from the Sheffield flood, PR records, and birth, marriage and death certs after 1837. There's also similar documents for his extended family including Oates. You're welcome to copies of anything I have. PM me an email address and let me know what you want.

The area from Dixon Street about to Wood Street (the Hillsborough Hotel) was known as Farfield (hence the pub), Centre field and Gatefield (a pub in the Kelvin flats is a memorial to this area and its history); have you checked the 1831 census covering this area ??? it has names too !!! Let me know if you need a copy ...

Hello Richard,

I thought I had what remaims of the 1831 census for Sheffield. The list I have starts with a 'William Aldam' of Upperthorpe and finishes with (entry 942) 'John Wilson'. Is this the same list as the one you have? If you have the 1831 for Kelham St I'd love a copy please.

I got your PM, so I'll sort through the stuff and mail it through.

Regards,

Andy

Thanks to TISCALI yet again, I've had no reliable email and wont have for several more days yet. I've already had them to the ombudsman previously. They've been hacked despite what they're claiming.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/cgi-bin/status.cgi

Thomas Parkin puts a claim in for damage to his property 7 Kelham Street arising from the Sheffield flood (1864) here:

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=6-5048

George Varney puts a claim for damage to fixtures and fittings and stock also at 7 Kelham Street here:

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=5-4825

He also puts a claim in for his son Sidney Varney (a well documented casualty), who's swept to his death from his horse at Bower Spring here:

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=9a-29

Trouble is Thomas Parkin died in 1848, 16 years before the flood.

Here's a transcribe of Thomas Parkins will.

Here's the one and only census Thomas Parkin is on. On the opposite side is Tom's daugther and son-in-law, Hannah and Daniel Oates.

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Ruth Parkin dies 1864

Heres Toms bill for the rates on his house and cowhouse for 1847-48, the final year of his life.

What I don't know is which was no 7 Kelham Street and which buildings were the cowsheds if anyone can help (see 1849 OS map).

I'm 99% certain that the DC and 1841 census return for John Parkin is Thomas' father

Thomas' weddding to Ruth in 1808 would explain my 17 toes and a yearning to play ma banjo:-)

copyright Sheffield Archives Shoreham Street, Sheffield

Thomas_Parkin_Will.doc

1881 info

OATES Charlotte F 19 U Niece Sheffield General Servant Ct 3 & 13 Kelham St Sheffield

COATES Thomas M 26 U Pauper Sheffield, York, England Laborer "Sheffield Union Work House" Kelham St Sheffield

1881 info (let me know if these any any good please)

PARKIN Joseph M 46 M Head Sheffield Scale & Spring Forger 19 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Ann F 40 M Wife Sheffield Scale & Spring Forger 19 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN John M 18 U Son Sheffield Tinner Braizer & Copper Smith 19 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Sarah A. F 16 U Daur Sheffield Scissor Filer 19 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Joseph M 7 Daur Sheffield Scholar 19 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Fredk. M 18 m Daur Sheffield Scholar 19 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Margaret F 70 W Head Glasgow, Scotland Scholar Ct 5 & 2 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Mark M 40 M Son Sheffield Labourer At Iron Works Ct 5 & 2 Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Geo. M 67 W Pauper Sheffield, York, England Fork Maker "Sheffield Union Workhouse" Kelham Str Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Mary F 30 W Pauper Sheffield, York, England Spoon Buffer "Sheffield Union Workhouse" Kelham Str Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN George M 63 W Pauper Sheffield, York, England Joiners Toolmaker "Sheffield Union Workhouse" Kelham Str Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN Ann F 72 U Pauper Sheffield, York, England None "Sheffield Union Work House" Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

PARKIN George M 32 U Pauper Owlerton, York, England Laborer "Sheffield Union Work House" Kelham St Sheffield, York, England

Guest sinnett

I have no clue if the Oates family lived around Kelham Street, but I do know that Harriette Eliza Oates, born in Naples, Italy approx. April 14th, 1818 was my great-great grandmother, maternal line.

Harriette

Father: George Oates (*1789/+1827), son of Frances Oates (*1765 ), g-s. of Thos. Oates (*1765)

m. to Mary

Mother: Harriette or Harriot Rhodes, d. of Ebenezer Rhodes (*1762/+1839, m. to Mary Hill), g-s. of John Rhodes (*1743), ggs of John Rhodes

Harriette married William Sinnett Smith in 1843 in Naples. One of his sons, Percy Albert is the father of my grandfather. Apparently the Sinnett Smiths originate from Sheffield as well, but I haven't found anything so far.

George had two sons as well: George Charles Oates and William Hill Oates.

If you have come accros their names, I would be more than happy to hear from you!

Thanks in advance for your help

Mildura

Hi there,

In the 1841 Census, my great-great-great-grandmother, Hannah Hubie, aged around 43, was living in Kelham Street, with 6 children. By 1851, she'd moved to 13 George St.

One of her daughters, Hannah, was known as Hannah Parkin Richardson, in the censuses of 1861 onwards. She wasn't living with her Mother by 1851. Hannah the daughter married Joseph (Jos) Richardson in 1855. He was a carter.

I am wondering why she had 'Parkin' as her middle name, and whether, having found your posts, whether a Parkin could have been her father? ( although it seems there was no marriage to him)

I was told the name 'Hubie' was French, and am trying to find out if Hannah Hubie the elder came from France, and when.

Any info about either Hannah, and why she had 'Parkin' as her middle name would be gratefully received!

I am also wondering if they were all in the Workhouse in 1841,

Hannah's husband James Hubie was a Razor Case Maker - he died in Jan/Feb/Mar 1839. Presumably Hannah's maiden name was Parkin as the usual practice was for a child to take it's mothers maiden name as a middle name. I can't see a marriage to prove this.

In 1841 (see census below), Hannah had 5 daughters and one son (Mark Thomas - he was a clerk to Thomas Smith the younger in the 1850's and in 1871 lived at Nether Edge Road (Whites Dir). Hannah was a Razor Case Liner - presumably she had worked alongside her husband before his recent death, so I don't think the workhouse was looming at that point.

Sheffield Indexers shows the baptisms of some of Hannah's offspring:

Hubie, Emma (of Sheffield, born 1828-09-22). Baptised February 21, 1830, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield. Parents name(s) are Hannah & James (Razor Case Maker).

Hubie, Jane (of Sheffield, born 1821-03-08). Baptised September 22, 1822, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield. Parents name(s) are Hannah & James (Case Maker).

Hubie, Mark Thomas (of Sheffield, born 1826-07-03).Baptised February 11, 1827, by Wm H Vale at Sheffield Parish Church , Church Street, Sheffield .Parents name(s) are Hannah & James (Case Maker).

Hubie, Mary (of Sheffield, born 1822-08-15). Baptised September 22, 1822, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield. Parents name(s) are Hannah & James (Case Maker).

Thanks so much for the information about Hannah's husband. It's very much appreciated. I had accessed the 1841 census, but had then got stuck. Is there any way I can find out who his and Hannah's parents were?

Hello AndyC,

Having just found out that the maiden name of Hannah Hubie was probably Parkin,I would really like to find out more about the Parkins. I know Hannah lived in Kelham Street in 1841, and that she had 6 children. If you can help, that would be great.

Marriage at Sheffield Parish Church (SS Peter & Paul) (SDFHS index)

James HUBIE

Hannah PARKIN

volume Q page 187 entry 561

This volume covers December 1818 to December 1821. The entry is about one third of the way through.

I think this was James' second marriage. In the same volume:

James HUBIE

Sarah BAGGALEY

volume Q page 18 entry 52

Burials at Ecclesall All Saints:

HUBIE Mark 9 May 1819 Ecclesall inf son of Jas &Sarah (pocketbookmkr)

HUBIE Sarah 28 May 1819 Ecclesall 42 wife of James (pocketbook maker)

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 11 Jun 1864

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 12 Feb 1863

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 17 Feb 1863

This may be of interest to you SueeW. Just seen these posts, had a few years away from my genealogy. Hubie rung a bell so I searched my PC and find the name mentioned in my x5 great grandfather Thomas Parkin the cowkeeper of 7 Kelham Street will. The name is also mentioned in T.P's flood claim (see above post). I don't think your Hannah is T.P's daughter, because his daughter Hannah Parkin married my x4 great grandfather. Deffo a connection here though, maybe a sister, but because Ive not done any research for a while non of it is fresh in my head. I aslo have T.P's parents as John and Hannah Parkin. See below. Anyway, hope it helps :)

Guest ibbotson

Hi All

I have a Grand Aunt Jane Ibbotson b Sheffield 1871 who married a George William Parkin, b 1858 in 1916 Wortley. Prior to the marriage the Ibbotson's and Parkin's were both living close together in Stanley Fold Oughtibridge. Any Info on the marriage and after would be greatly appreciated.

Also have family member Sam Glossop, b 1842 who married Julia Oates, b 1841 on 29 July 1861. Any Info on them would again be a great help.

Regards David