Albert Road

Guest sheffieldruss

Guest sheffieldruss

Hi,

found this site while trying to date my house! I live toward the top end of albert road, on the left as you're going up, just before Kent road, in what we think is a georgian house which is converted into two flats (one on each floor). It used to be called 'richmond lodge' (we think) and there are gate posts at the bottom of the drive. Have had a look at a few maps on this site but am planning a trip into the council offices soon.

Anyway. any ideas suggestions etc would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Russ

Albert Rd seems to have been the original name, so it's fair to assume it's no earlier than Victorian.

So either the house is Victorian or later and in the Georgian style, or if it's really Georgian, it presumably pre-dates the road. Not a lot of help I'm afraid, just ramblings!

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

Welcome sheffieldruss I will have a guess at 1868 - 1873,

let us know what you find out please.

Given that Albert Rd Tram depot has a date stone of 1878, this would suggest this was when development reached the area, prior to this date buses and trams terminated at the Red Lion.

Given that Albert Rd Tram depot has a date stone of 1878, this would suggest this was when development reached the area, prior to this date buses and trams terminated at the Red Lion.

SheffieldRuss

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked, have you walked the length of Albert Rd looking for date stones on other properties. Surprising what you see if you look up at buildings. We have a topic on date stones ...Link

Guest sheffieldruss

SheffieldRuss

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked, have you walked the length of Albert Rd looking for date stones on other properties. Surprising what you see if you look up at buildings. We have a topic on date stones ...Link

Good plan - and thanks to all of you for some sound advice/useful comments - will report back in due course!

Cheers

Albert Rd seems to have been the original name, so it's fair to assume it's no earlier than Victorian.

So either the house is Victorian or later and in the Georgian style, or if it's really Georgian, it presumably pre-dates the road. Not a lot of help I'm afraid, just ramblings!

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

Ramblings, I like ramblings

Hello, I'll chuck in some more ramblings if I may. It's probably a good idea to try to date the Road initially. The issue of whether it is possible the house pre-dates the road is then a seperate issue.

In dating the road, date stones are going to be a nice to have; the "Albert" connection may point to a construction date after Alberts death (1861); however, this may just be misleading since Albert Terrace Road was built in 1851.

I'd try looking for the earlist known resident we can find and track him/her in the Census either site. If anyone knows of an earlier resident, please let us know.

Just as an example try locating William Bonner on Albert Road in 1871 and also in 1861 (he was there in 1865).

I had a walk round the Albert Road area this morning,

didn't notice any dates on the houses but then again I did not go right down to Heeley Bottom.

There seems to be a lot of variation in the style of buildig in this area.

An old Beer Off (158 - 160 Albert Rd) on the corner of Brooklyn Road

It still has a Walls Ice Cream sign on the wall

And another old shop that was pobably a Beer Off in it's time,

on the corner of Shirebrook Rd.

The last photo is of houses on Shirebrook Road.

Just farmer's fields in 1853. I think Kent road is on the line of the footpath up from the 'Stepping Stones' across the brook (if I have the right location).

Just farmer's fields in 1853. I think Kent road is on the line of the footpath up from the 'Stepping Stones' across the brook (if I have the right location).

I would have said Kent Rd is the footpath (un-named) running from The Old Waggon & Horses PH and through the 't' in the word detached then down to Spring Wood ?

Ramblings, I like ramblings

Hello, I'll chuck in some more ramblings if I may. It's probably a good idea to try to date the Road initially. The issue of whether it is possible the house pre-dates the road is then a seperate issue.

In dating the road, date stones are going to be a nice to have; the "Albert" connection may point to a construction date after Alberts death (1861); however, this may just be misleading since Albert Terrace Road was built in 1851.

I'd try looking for the earlist known resident we can find and track him/her in the Census either site. If anyone knows of an earlier resident, please let us know.

Just as an example try locating William Bonner on Albert Road in 1871 and also in 1861 (he was there in 1865).

And its not the Albert Road at Intake which is now the very bottom section of Alnwick Road either.

False Albert Road

Always worth a look at the deeds to your property - If you haven't got them yourself - your solicitor/ mortgage company could hold them. (Although there have been changes over the past yearsand mortgage comapnies can charge you to look at them!) ). They should give a potted history of who owned the land (and probably still does in Sheffield) when the house was built and who has owned it. If the property is Georgian should be quite interesting

I would have said Kent Rd is the footpath (un-named) running from The Old Waggon & Horses PH and through the 't' in the word detached then down to Spring Wood ?

OK - it's debatable lol

What isn't is the fact that Albert road did not exist in 1853, nor any Georgian houses ;-)

Assuming the pubs as more or less constants, puts whatever became Kent Road here --.

Ok - sorry - Can't resist messing - Back to topic. :)

Assuming the pubs as more or less constants, puts whatever became Kent Road here --.

Ok - sorry - Can't resist messing - Back to topic. :)

Yep...that's pretty much the line on the 1893 OS map while much of the surrounding area was still in the building stage.

My intent was merely to show there could have been no 'Georgian' houses on Albert road in 1853 'cos it wasn't there until well into Victoria;s reign. lol

Yep...that's pretty much the line on the 1893 OS map while much of the surrounding area was still in the building stage.

My intent was merely to show there could have been no 'Georgian' houses on Albert road in 1853 'cos it wasn't there until well into Victoria;s reign. lol

And show it you did sir. :)

So one wonders:

When they built the Georgean "style" houses on Albert Road, did all the trendies in their modern Victorian style houses turn up their noses at the crappy old-fashiond neighbours. lol

On a sligtly more serious note, we all have a tendency to label things as Gergian, Victorian and so on, as though as soon as the Monarch changed, so did fashion. Which is quite obviously not the case. A lot of early 1900's terraced properties are referred to as Victorian when in fact they are, technically, Edwardian. etc etc

On a sligtly more serious note, we all have a tendency to label things as Gergian, Victorian and so on, as though as soon as the Monarch changed, so did fashion. Which is quite obviously not the case. A lot of early 1900's terraced properties are referred to as Victorian when in fact they are, technically, Edwardian. etc etc

I don't know anyone today with a "new" house (built in the last 50 or so years) that would describe it as "Neo-Elizabethan" in style.

...and of course in Sheffield many buildings much less than 50 years old have been built, used and demolished without trace within that timescale.

In 1933 my grandparents moved into 128 back Albert Rd (not quite sure what that means)

My grandmother insisted the house was haunted, as there were so many accidents.

My father was knocked off his bike and broke his leg, and an uncle slipped in the bathroom and gashed his leg so badly he nearly died. Other less serious accidents also happened.

My grandmother always said the accidents stopped after they moved out.

I don't know anyone today with a "new" house (built in the last 50 or so years) that would describe it as "Neo-Elizabethan" in style.

...and of course in Sheffield many buildings much less than 50 years old have been built, used and demolished without trace within that timescale.

Some of our US members might like to comment, but I remember hearing an American say a while ago (it might have been Bill Bryson?) that any building over 50 years old in the US was regarded as 'historic'.

Maybe that's the way Sheffield is going?

Some of our US members might like to comment, but I remember hearing an American say a while ago (it might have been Bill Bryson?) that any building over 50 years old in the US was regarded as 'historic'.

Maybe that's the way Sheffield is going?

Well, American hasn't destroyed some of its iconic art deco 1930's classic skyscrapers yet, and they are well over 50 years old.

I hope Sheffield isn't going down the "American" route.

Many Americans like Britain and Europe because of its long history and the fact that they can come to visit places which date back hundreds or even thousands of years and are still there. They call it "quaint" but they like it because they don't have anything like it themselves in America. To them America is a "new" country and its own history goes back "only just over 200 years" because they insist on American history starting with their Independence from British colonialism in 1776, - even though of course American history goes back just as far as any other place.

If they like history and old places so much why the compulsion to rebuild everything every 50 years or so? Why destroy your own past, - your own history?

On 1 September 2009 at 13:36, SteveHB said:

I had a walk round the Albert Road area this morning,

didn't notice any dates on the houses but then again I did not go right down to Heeley Bottom.

Albert_Rd_01.jpgalbert_Panorama2.jpg

There seems to be a lot of variation in the style of buildig in this area.

158___160_Albert_Rd.jpgcorner_Albert_Rd_area_016.jpg

corner_Albert_Rd__02.jpgbrooklyn_rd.jpg

An old Beer Off (158 - 160 Albert Rd) on the corner of Brooklyn Road

walls.jpg

It still has a Walls Ice Cream sign on the wall

Shirebrook_rd.jpg

And another old shop that was pobably a Beer Off in it's time,

on the corner of Shirebrook Rd.

The last photo is of houses on Shirebrook Road.

shirebrook_rd_02.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I was talking about No 28 Upper Albert Rd last week and I'm surprised you missed it. Problem is this house wasn't built in 1890 as the stone suggests and the tenant at 28 and his next door neighbour were both cashiers, nothing to do with horses, it must have been the builders idea.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg