Arbourthorne Playing Fields

DaveH

Boozing in the Fellbrigg in 1981

Relaxing on holiday on Chesil Beach, Dorset, 1984

I vaguely remember him too, now I have seen the photos - what happened to him Dave????

I vaguely remember him too, now I have seen the photos - what happened to him Dave????

Used to be a big mate of mine. We both went on holiday together to Devon and Cornwall in 1984 and spent hours drinking in the Fellbrigg.

Last saw him to talk to about 1988 when we moved onto the Intake.

Since then only seen him in passing at bus stops going down to Bramall Lane and the like.

Once saw his dad pushing him around in a wheelchair in the 1990's when his health was not so good.

Read a letter in The Star that he had written when the news was out that The Fellbrigg was to be converted from a pub into a church.

But apart from that I have no idea.

He used to work at Remploy but is older than me so would be retired by now.

...was.nt this pub the one with the large panoramic window(s) at the rear which had superb views over the football pitches ?

Here is that window now, not looking so good these days and neither is that "superb view" either :(

Here is that window now, not looking so good these days and neither is that "superb view" either :(

What a crying shame :( Dont suppose the front looks any better either????

Can remember many a time going into the pub and looking out of those big windows at the back :)

Surprised no-one has come forward to convert it into a church or flats yet.

Dave : cant I tempt you and Stuart to somehow legally get in there and take some pics for the site - you never know there might be a few of the old regulars lurking in there lol

What a crying shame :(Dont suppose the front looks any better either????

Can remember many a time going into the pub and looking out of those big windows at the back :)

Surprised no-one has come forward to convert it into a church or flats yet.

Dave : cant I tempt you and Stuart to somehow legally get in there and take some pics for the site - you never know there might be a few of the old regulars lurking in there lol

Just for you suzy a picture of the front, - and as you suspect it doesn't look any better does it? :(

Another shut down boozer looking for a buyer.

I will add it to the ever growing list of pubs you want me and Stuart to pretend to buyers for just to get a nosey around inside with a camera. lol

Just for you suzy a picture of the front, - and as you suspect it doesn't look any better does it? :(

I will add it to the ever growing list of pubs you want me and Stuart to pretend to buyers for just to get a nosey around inside with a camera. lol

I'll not get in the Vulcan as I was once barred from there so they probably wouldn't let me in if the ban still stands.

It was a long time ago though.

I went in there with a couple of friends and the barmaid (who was off the Arbourthorne,had been to Norfolk School and knew exactly who I was :angry: ) asked me if I was 18.

I replied that I was 21 (because, funnily enough, at the time I was actually 21)

The Landlord thought that I was being a bit funny or awkward (which I wasn't) so he asked me how old I REALLY was, and when I repeated that I was 21 he decided to kick me out of the pub and told me not to bother coming back. :o

Didn't worry me though, - I just went down to the Fellbrigg instead, staff were a lot friendlier in there. lol

Thanks Dave - what a sorry sight - best we remember it in its hey dey (even if you did get barred). he he

Interesting that they have reduced the price B)

You and Stuart have got quite a challenge in front of you - an ever growing list of pubs - you are going to be very busy.

Thanks Dave - what a sorry sight - best we remember it in its hey dey (even if you did get barred). he he

Interesting that they have reduced the price B)

You and Stuart have got quite a challenge in front of you - an ever growing list of pubs - you are going to be very busy.

View of The Vulcan from the top of Cradock Road

View of The Vulcan from the top of Cradock Road

The view from the back of the Vulcan looks down into Algar Place which is a cul-de-sac with a roundabout.

Our original asbestos prefab was situated just about where that white fencing is in the back gardens of the current prefabs.

..and here it is in 1961 with me and my mum at the bedroom window

Guest suzy

Dave - rather than pretending to be buyers couldnt you and Stuart just say you are doing a piece on pubs that are up for sale for the Sheffiled History site? I am sure the two of you could use your wisdom to coax the buyers into letting you in on that basis, so you take a few photos and report back : "Sheffield History Roving Reporters Strike Again"!!!! he he he he

Dave - rather than pretending to be buyers couldnt you and Stuart just say you are doing a piece on pubs that are up for sale for the Sheffiled History site? I am sure the two of you could use your wisdom to coax the buyers into letting you in on that basis, so you take a few photos and report back : "Sheffield History Roving Reporters Strike Again"!!!! he hehe he

Can't do The Vulcan though suzy, - I'm probably still barred!

Guest suzy

Can't do The Vulcan though suzy, - I'm probably still barred!

After all this time - you naughty boy he he

I bet there may be some interesting stuff left in some of these pubs. I can remember once reading an article in The Star showing pictures of someone who had gone into The Fiesta (legally of course) and taken photos. It was really wierd, just as though everyone had nipped out and were coming back the next day.

After all this time - you naughty boy he he

I bet there may be some interesting stuff left in some of these pubs. I can remember once reading an article in The Star showing pictures of someone who had gone into The Fiesta (legally of course) and taken photos. It was really wierd, just as though everyone had nipped out and were coming back the next day.

So there may still be some old blokes inside The Vulcan (and several other closed boozers in the area) still sat there with empty glasses waiting to get served and wondering where the barmaid has gone. lol

I know where the barmaid out of The Fellbrigg has gone, - I married her! ;-)

So there may still be some old blokes inside The Vulcan (and several other closed boozers in the area) still sat there with empty glasses waiting to get served and wondering where the barmaid has gone. lol

I know where the barmaid out of The Fellbrigg has gone, - I married her! ;-)

Good move Dave he he Did you get lots of free beer in The Fellbrigg then????

Good move Dave he he Did you get lots of free beer in The Fellbrigg then????

No not really.

But my next drink was always ready for me without having to wait (Can you remember when pubs used to be packed out every night!)

Also occasionally got to stop back "after time" (10:30 in those days) for a quiet drink with some of the staff.

No not really.

But my next drink was always ready for me without having to wait (Can you remember when pubs used to be packed out every night!)

Also occasionally got to stop back "after time" (10:30 in those days) for a quiet drink with some of the staff.

"Those were the days my friend - we thought they would never end!!! he he Remember Mary Hopkin?

A pub was a pub in those days and, call me old-fashioned, but 10.30 was a decent time to close and if you wanted to carry on, then just hop on the bus and go to a night club.

"Those were the days my friend - we thought they would never end!!! he he Remember Mary Hopkin?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIIwqafrO4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIIwqafrO4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIIwqafrO4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIIwqafrO4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thank you Dave - what an absolute classic - just put it on full blast and had a good old sing-a-long he hehe he Never seen that particular clip before, not sure what the man and woman to the right of Mary are up to??

Thank you Dave - what an absolute classic - just put it on full blast and had a good old sing-a-long he hehe he Never seen that particular clip before, not sure what the man and woman to the right of Mary are up to??

No I hadn't seen it before either. The usual video is of her sat on a high bar stool with an acoustic guitar.

There is something even more dodgy about the clip than the couple to the right, did you notice the song title?

"Those WHERE the days" !!! rather than Were.

Mary Hopkin, a Welsh girl, started out on "Opportunity Knocks" with Hughie Green in 1968, winning it on the audience clapometer as well as the "remember folks, -it's your vote that counts" vote.

She was then picked up as a new artist by Paul McCartney and signed to the new APPLE record label.

"Those Were The Days", based on a traditional Russian folk song (it still has a 3-stringed ballalika in it) was her first and biggest hit.

Her second hit in 1969, "Goodbye" was written by McCartney

Her third hit was "Temma Harbour" in early 1970 which was followed by her singing for Great Britain in the Eurovision Song Contest with the song "Knock Knock, Who's There?". She came a creditable 2nd, the winner being Ireland with Dana singing "All Kinds of Everything".

After that she married, became Mary Visconti and effectively withdrew from the pop music music scene.

A good singer, - but I bet she's never kicked a ball around Arbourthorne Playing Fields lol

Guest roger mortis

No I hadn't seen it before either. The usual video is of her sat on a high bar stool with an acoustic guitar.

There is something even more dodgy about the clip than the couple to the right, did you notice the song title?

"Those WHERE the days" !!! rather than Were.

Mary Hopkin, a Welsh girl, started out on "Opportunity Knocks" with Hughie Green in 1968, winning it on the audience clapometer as well as the "remember folks, -it's your vote that counts" vote.

She was then picked up as a new artist by Paul McCartney and signed to the new APPLE record label.

"Those Were The Days", based on a traditional Russian folk song (it still has a 3-stringed ballalika in it) was her first and biggest hit.

Her second hit in 1969, "Goodbye" was written by McCartney

Her third hit was "Temma Harbour" in early 1970 which was followed by her singing for Great Britain in the Eurovision Song Contest with the song "Knock Knock, Who's There?". She came a creditable 2nd, the winner being Ireland with Dana singing "All Kinds of Everything".

After that she married, became Mary Visconti and effectively withdrew from the pop music music scene.

A good singer, - but I bet she's never kicked a ball around Arbourthorne Playing Fields lol

HI Dave,

good thread i used to live just down from the fellbrig on kenninghall so the pics of Pete brought back memories like you say a blade through and through.

as for mary hopkin? i remember going to the city hall with my then girl friend to see Dr Hook about 1980/81 and she was in the back up group(mary hopkin not my bird) cant remember thier name but it

also had dusty sprinfields brother in it.She actually did those where the days and he did island of dreams (all very fokey)

HI Dave,

good thread i used to live just down from the fellbrig on kenninghall so the pics of Pete brought back memories like you say a blade through and through.

as for mary hopkin? i remember going to the city hall with my then girl friend to see Dr Hook about 1980/81 and she was in the back up group(mary hopkin not my bird) cant remember thier name but it

also had dusty sprinfields brother in it.She actually did those where the days and he did island of dreams (all very fokey)

Welcome to Sheffield History Roger.

I used the picture of Pete because he is not only well known as a local character on the Arbourthorne that just about everyone on the estate knows he is also universally liked and respected by everyone.

I haven't seen him for many years now since I married and left the Arbourthorne.

I saw him in the early 1990's when his health appeared to have deteriorated and he was in a wheelchair, but I am sure I saw him after that at the Felbrigg bus stop on his feet again.

Last I heard of him he had a letter published in The Star bemoaning the fact that his second home and favourite pub, The Felbrigg, was going to be shut down and turned into a church. Obviously a while ago now as the Felbrigg has been a church for some years now.

Hope he is still well somewhere.

As for Mary Hopkin, - like I said, I don't think she ever played on Arbourthorne playing fields!

Used to be a big mate of mine. We both went on holiday together to Devon and Cornwall in 1984 and spent hours drinking in the Fellbrigg.

Last saw him to talk to about 1988 when we moved onto the Intake.

Since then only seen him in passing at bus stops going down to Bramall Lane and the like.

Once saw his dad pushing him around in a wheelchair in the 1990's when his health was not so good.

Read a letter in The Star that he had written when the news was out that The Fellbrigg was to be converted from a pub into a church.

But apart from that I have no idea.

He used to work at Remploy but is older than me so would be retired by now.

I also remember Pete from years gone,

and I'm mkeing no claims ..

but I was in Rotherham bus station a week ago

and did see a person that could well have been Pete.

I also remember Pete from years gone,

and I'm mkeing no claims ..

but I was in Rotherham bus station a week ago

and did see a person that could well have been Pete.

It seems that just about everyone knew Pete.

He was a real character that everyone knew and liked.

Sheffield used to have loads of well known characters about town didn't it

Seems that Pete could be the end of a lond tradition, you don't get characters like that any more. :(

Hope it was him Steve and he is keeping well, he will be 65 at the end of this month as his birthday was between Christmas and New Year, - always an extra party in the festive season down at the Fellbrig ;-)

Looks like The Vulcan has found a buyer after all.

I noticed that it is now JADE ORIENT.

Looks a bit like a Chinese takeaway place, - but with a building of that size it could be a proper Chinese Restraunt.

They have even replaced that missing boozer sign with their own sign ;-)

Just to break up the conversation on boozers lol The stream running down from Arbourthorne Pond is called the Jervis Lum. The pond itself is shown on the first OS map and is probably a great deal older. I reckon it could have been a fishpond connected to Sheffield Park Deer Park and was kept for the purpose of watering animals on the farms later. The name Jervis comes from the park keepers and later tennants of the Duke of Norfolk. Much of the area was never built on due to either drainage or coal mining. Arbourthorne Road coming off City Road is dead straight, clearly an old waggon road dating from after 1779, because that is when the Turnpike Road "City Road" as it's known now, came about. A clause in the Act for 1779 allows wagon ways to be built off it for the purpose of transporting coal.

When I was younger I used to keep fish in tanks and I would sometimes go to the pond to catch fish for the tanks. However there was always this nasty bloke who didn't like kids catching even Sticklebacks and would chase you off or threaten to fetch the police. So we didn't go to it often. The pond also had a plague of Arglus or fish loush. Which would get on the side of the fish and suck the blood. The only way to get them off was to take the fish out of the water. The louse would then drop off! So we went more often to Richmond Pond which had no nasty man or fish louse!