Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrinderBloke

The Rex

50 posts in this topic

I remember that the films were certificate A rated for some reason and we asked an elderly lady to take us in.

HD

I think that was the accepted practice in those days HD, but usually once you were in you just parted company. I remember me and my mate Frank Weldon wanting to see a particular gangster film at the Unity on Langsett road, we were lucky the old chap in front of us was 3d short so we said we would pay it for him if he would take us in. When you tell the grandkids what we did then they just don`t believe it. W/E.

Good memories of the Rex - saw my first film 'Born Free' there and then many others - I remember going to see Grease in '78 and the whole audience was singing along to all the songs lol

I clicked on a couple of the links to photos, but could not view them. Is there a problem with them or is it me?

I'm trying to recall the films I saw, either with my dad or a bit later on with my best friend Jon (still best friends 50+ years later!) at the Rex or the Manor. I know that the very first, which Dad took me to, was a US Civil War drama called The Great Locomotive Chase. Dad also took me to watch Johnny Tremaine, also a Disney film, about the US War of Independence.

Later viewings included Play It Cool (starring Billy Fury) and Guns Of Navarone, also one of Elvis' many flicks but I can't remember which one.

I clicked on a couple of the links to photos, but could not view them. Is there a problem with them or is it me?

Thank you for reporting,dead links now repaired.

Wow, the service is good around here, thank you Steve!

I'm trying to recall the films I saw, either with my dad or a bit later on with my best friend Jon (still best friends 50+ years later!) at the Rex or the Manor. I know that the very first, which Dad took me to, was a US Civil War drama called The Great Locomotive Chase. Dad also took me to watch Johnny Tremaine, also a Disney film, about the US War of Independence.

Later viewings included Play It Cool (starring Billy Fury) and Guns Of Navarone, also one of Elvis' many flicks but I can't remember which one.

Athy.......Walt Disney's "The Great Locomotive Chase" ( with Fess Parker & Jeffrey Hunter ) played at the Rex, w/c Jan 21st, 1957.

I don't have a record for the Rex to hand, but ....Disney's "Johnny Tremain" ( paired with a re-issue of "Bambi" ) first played at the Gaumont w/c January 6th, 1958. This means that it would have reached the Rex a few weeks later, or, as it was a Disney programme, it may have been held back for the next school holidays that year ( Easter ???).

TheGreatLocomotiveChase_zps3e84cb6b.jpg

6145702116_9a504f38d5_z_zps9ecb7eed.jpg

Mr. S, thank you so much for your research and for those nostalgic posts.

Mike

Mr. S, thank you so much for your research and for those nostalgic posts.

Mike

You're welcome, Mike.

Glad it was of interest to you.

On 9/1/2007, 9:46:01, carlie167 said:

Heres another one of the Rex, its the board outside advertising childrens matinees. We took this in March 82 and it closd the following December.

post-1238-1188679497_thumb.jpgi

I use to go every sat afternoon matinee from working with my uncle on the bread van delivering use to meet some nice girls here also evening movies were always top notch  

I remember it well. We always got in free as my Dad and Grandad were the accountants for them