Oatcakes and pikelets

Guest skeets

Guest skeets

l don't know how he got round, the big basket was very heavy, l remember my mum trying to lift it, and could'nt. Also around this era nearly everyone applied donkey stone to their steps, usually every day not necessary but it was a good way to have a natter with the passerbyes, same with cleaning the windows, no window cleaner for my mum, she would lift up the bottom sash and sit on the sill, pulling the sash down on to her knees .

Skeets.

l don't know how he got round, the big basket was very heavy, l remember my mum trying to lift it, and could'nt. Also around this era nearly everyone applied donkey stone to their steps, usually every day not necessary but it was a good way to have a natter with the passerbyes, same with cleaning the windows, no window cleaner for my mum, she would lift up the bottom sash and sit on the sill, pulling the sash down on to her knees .

Skeets.

Forgive my ignorance Skeets, I have heard of them before but what exactly was a donkey stone?

Forgive my ignrance Skeets, I have heard of them before but what exactly was a donkey stone?

Bit like a kidney stone but less painful and with bigger ears !

<RichardB hides from the boos and eggs>

Guest Gasman

Skeets.

I remember a man coming round Parson Cross in the 50`s and 60`s--i think that his name/nickname was Isaac.He came round on a bike at first then later he got himself a small van.

Gasman

I have just surprised myself 'living in Heeley'

that I never knew about this ..

This is the story of how 'The Old Pikelet Factory'

in Heeley was transformed into South Yorkshire Energy Centre.

Something they call .. 'Eco Refurbishment' that's a new un :mellow:

Link .. SYEC

It must have been hard and teadiouse work in days gone

drilling holes in them pikelets.

Always used to walk down my Nans street in shiregreen with his big basket. She would get them and we would stick them on a toasting fork and tost them over the open coal fire MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest skeets

Forgive my ignorance Skeets, I have heard of them before but what exactly was a donkey stone?

one does not have much time to answer, [Thanks Steve] but sorry all the same Dunsbyowl, I'll just go on to say that when donkey stone came in short supply those that could afford it used Cardinal[ i'll describe what that was just to save Steve a job l know he is very busy!] it was an oil based paste that came in a tin with a pad for application it was white in colour, but being a bit artistic at that age, l got the job as a Sat; penny promise.[ kids today would want a fiver ] one could apply the stuff with more accuracy. Skeets

Guest 30_degrees

Skeets.

Ours came via Styan's or Fletchers van. Dad preferred Oatcakes, I didn't care so long as I got fed.

Oatcakes with scrambled egg and bacon, Pikelets with melted Cheddar and a splash of Hendersons. Yummy :)

in the early 50`s on the way home from Meynell Road school we would "help" the pikelet man by takeing his basket and trying to sell his wares, he was an old guy and he would wait whilst we sold them door to door and I swear to god that we gave up every penny but we did eat a few of his pikelets.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2010 at 12:08, 30_degrees said:

Ours came via Styan's or Fletchers van. Dad preferred Oatcakes, I didn't care so long as I got fed.

Oatcakes with scrambled egg and bacon, Pikelets with melted Cheddar and a splash of Hendersons. Yummy :)

Where can you get them or Recipe someone please !

12 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Where can you get them or Recipe someone please !

I would be surprised if you can't buy oatcakes in a grocers shop or supermarket, though they will not be as nice as home made like the recipe above. In Scotland they are traditionally made on a girdle, (girdle not griddle as in England and Ireland). The girdle would originally have hung over an open fire. Picture here of one brand of oatcakes and a girdle.

(c) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oatcakes&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKqYyFp-LSAhWKLMAKHcKdCGoQ_AUIBigB&biw=1025&bih=384#imgrc=-QmESgXL_7SGPM:   

and           https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scottish+girdle&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgil=MHt8OcCD5ZJoUM%3A%3Bm_Hv6CEKAQNVEM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Foakden.co.uk%252Fproduct%252Fscottish-irish-girdle-griddle%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=MHt8OcCD5ZJoUM%3A%2Cm_Hv6CEKAQNVEM%2C_&usg=__gvnAP3SWDe8rNQhpj-5_Q8AjsPo%3D&biw=1025&bih=384#imgrc=MHt8OcCD5ZJoUM: 

oatcakes.jpeg

scottish-girdle-griddle-1-595x332.jpg