Pub Signs

dunsbyowl1867

The Sportsman

Main Street, Hackenthorpe.

Went in here from time to time as well.

I think it was a Whitbreads pub at the time

The "tap room" was always full of old blokes in cloth caps.

We would fit in well with them now, but when we were 20 we must have stuck out like a sore thumb, - when you walked in all the owd codgers used to glare at us.

Other side was a small concert room with a small stage, just about the right size for a stand up comedian or a solo vocalist but too small for groups or dance acts.

Never ever saw this stage being used for any sort of performance at all.

The concert room was like the tap room but for slightly younger people.

Thought it was called the Hogs'eard.

(Spelling words in local dialect int easy)

It is called oggseard, but when you have had Man Wright for CSE English you sort of know that its spelt Hogshead

And as if by magic:-

The Hogs Head, Hackenthorpe.

The proper sign is missing but the landlady tells me that the brewery are going to replace it. (Sooner or later) :)

During my perambulations over Christmas last year I noted a sign outside The Three Cranes on Queen Street. My photographic skills rendered the pictures I took useless: perhaps someone a bit nearer Sheffield City Centre could succeed where I failed.

During my perambulations over Christmas last year I noted a sign outside The Three Cranes on Queen Street. My photographic skills rendered the pictures I took useless: perhaps someone a bit nearer Sheffield City Centre could succeed where I failed.

I work next door to the 3 cranes and walk past everyday, never looked at the sign, will look tomorrow :mellow:

The proper sign is missing but the landlady tells me that the brewery are going to replace it. (Sooner or later) :)

Thanks vox.

At least the temporary sign will prove to Stuart that I can spell Hogshead even if neither of us can say it lol

I work next door to the 3 cranes and walk past everyday, never looked at the sign, will look tomorrow :mellow:

Sheffield Steam club used to have its meetings in the 3 cranes briefly in the late 1990's.

As I remember it did have a very nice sign outside showing 3 cranes.

the reason we stopped having meetings there was because although the landlord let us have the use of a private upstairs room for free we were actually paying for the room in the extortionate extra premium he put on every drink we had over and above the price advertised at the bar. It was a sort of "room hire surcharge" on every pint :(

Looks like a nice pub lol

Guest lyndloo

Railway - Wincobank

thanx so much for posting this !!! Iwas born in Wincobank !!! my Granadad was a member of this of this club bak in the 50s .. his name was Abe Marsh . and also a member of Wincobank and Blackburn working mens club !! I remember Doug Jessop was the MC and Vic Haythorn played piano.. so many Happy memories of those great days in Wincobank !! wish I cud go bak and do it all over again ... thanx from Lyndloo now living in the USA xx :)

thanx so much for posting this !!! Iwas born in Wincobank !!! my Granadad was a member of this of this club bak in the 50s .. his name was Abe Marsh . and also a member of Wincobank and Blackburn working mens club !! I remember Doug Jessop was the MC and Vic Haythorn played piano.. so many Happy memories of those great days in Wincobank !! wish I cud go bak and do it all over again ... thanx from Lyndloo now living in the USA xx :)

Possibly not today though Lyndy - my Grandad was also a member at W&B WMC and as you can see a sorry sight today

Welcome to SHistory!

Click Here Post W&B

The Sportsman - Walkley Bank Road

Walkley.

(still closed)

Some time in the early 1970's my wife and I were driving past the Sportsman when it exploded !!!!!!

We were just drawing level with the pub driving downhill to Malin Bridge when there was a huge flash from the right-hand side and everything went very black. I couldn't understand why the car seemed reluctant to brake and we slid to a stop some way down the road. When I got out the MASSIVE front door of the pub was trapped beneath the front wheels of my Bedford HA van (Viva van). I ran back up to the hole where the front door used to be and thick black smoke and choking dust was spewing out. All the window frames were in the road.

Not expecting to receive a reply I called out "are you alright" and about a dozen coal black figures staggered out. They established that no one else was inside and that nobody was seriously injured and while we waited for the fire brigade I walked down the steep hill at the side to have a look at the back of the building. The pub was a storey lower at the back and there was an enormous hole where the celler had been.

Only then did I notice that leaning on the wall at the bottom of the yard was a pair of large doors, still closed and still with their door-frame and steel lintel attached.

We eventually found out that the pub had just that morning been converted to natural gas, not very sucessfully it would seem. Apparently the floor had disappeared in one of the rooms, luckily empty at the time.

I'll bet it turned the bitter cloudy, it certainly shook up my wife.

Hilldweller

We eventually found out that the pub had just that morning been converted to natural gas, not very sucessfully it would seem. Apparently the floor had disappeared in one of the rooms, luckily empty at the time.

I'll bet it turned the bitter cloudy, it certainly shook up my wife.

Hilldweller

Natural Gas conversion started in 1972; can anyone confirm please ? (I was only 10)