Claremont House (residents)

RichardB

Nice example from the second site ... found in Urban Exploration

Claremont House http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showt...light=sheffield

and a former resident :

James Swift (Brothers), h. Claremont House, Storrs Bridge, Loxley (White's 1919)

Any more details ?

----------------------------------

Thanks for the original links Markbaby :rolleyes:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showt...light=sheffield

and a former resident :

James Swift (Brothers), h. Claremont House, Storrs Bridge, Loxley (White's 1919)

Any more details ?

1901 census

piece 4336 folio 33 page 13

Claremont House

([storrs], Bradfield)

James SWIFT Head Wid 55 steel roller (employer) Loxley

Marriott SWIFT Son Unm 22 steel rolling mill manager Loxley

Laura SWIFT Dau Unm 23 Loxley

Silome TINKER Visitor Unm 23 Dungworth

Jessy HAWKSWORTH Serv Unm 27 domestic servant Dungworth

Lucy NETTLETON Serv Unm 23 domestic servant Dungworth

The previous household is headed by Owen SWIFT aged 21 steel roller, address Storrs Bridge House.

Judging by the 1919 directory, the Swift Brothers rolled steel at what in 1951 was called Owlerton Bridge Rolling Mills (Map 238)

Hugh

1851 with Parents

This all belongs in Genealogy ...

I've never moved a posting ... Tsavo !!!

Nice example from the second site ... found in Urban Exploration

Claremont House http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showt...light=sheffield

and a former resident :

Any more details ?

----------------------------------

Thanks for the original links Markbaby :rolleyes:

I've walked past this place today what a shame, I use to go to the social club when it belonged to Marshalls before it

was sold to Hepworths. Thomas Marshall was the last to live in it as a home.

Thomas Marshall collided with a wagon down the nearby lane and died in the late sixties. It stood empty for awhile

until they made it into offices for Marshalls in the early 70s.

I've walked past this place today what a shame, I use to go to the social club when it belonged to Marshalls before it

was sold to Hepworths. Thomas Marshall was the last to live in it as a home.

Thomas Marshall collided with a wagon down the nearby lane and died in the late sixties. It stood empty for awhile

until they made it into offices for Marshalls in the early 70s.

Hi ukelele lady. You know, this house is fair crying out for some love and attention. How on earth has it finished up like this ? I think a £1 on the lottery this week may be in order. Regards, W/E.

Hi ukelele lady. You know, this house is fair crying out for some love and attention. How on earth has it finished up like this ? I think a £1 on the lottery this week may be in order. Regards, W/E.

Great minds must think alike, I stopped having a go on the lottery years ago but bought a lucky dip today

with houses like this in mind, [if only].

My husband use to work on the ground floor left hand side of the building, I'm told they never even tried

to sell it. UKL

hi am new to this site and i came across this topic while browsing. i was brought up in hillsborough and if claremont house is what we used to call marshells, then am gob smacked! what a bloody awful mess. my parents mick and dot leach used to frequent this place alot during the 80`s. i remember a big lake too where dad would walk my son richard while people fished. as a kid we used to pass through the brick yard as we called it, on our way to bradfield.

A link to the location of Claremont House .. on FlashEarth

We don't have an old large scale OS map that covers the area,

but this section taken from a 1988 map shows the house.

Ive just passed, and it looks like its been renovated/developed. I know a planning application was rejected a few years ago. But at least it looks like it will be saved now.

Lets hope the same will happen for Thornseat Lodge!

Guest livingstone

Ive just passed, and it looks like its been renovated/developed. I know a planning application was rejected a few years ago. But at least it looks like it will be saved now.

Lets hope the same will happen for Thornseat Lodge!

There an application that was accepted in 1994, by a Mr Singh, to convert the property into a home for the mentally infirm. The offer was conditional and Singh applied for renewals in 1999 and 2004.

He put in applications to convert the sitre into private dwellings in 2002 and 2003, (the application in 2003 was from Mr and Mrs Singh and waned to convert into two dwellings, rather than four from the previous application)

Another application (by a different Mr Singh) was made for six apartments in 2010. It was rejected.

No idea what's happening to it now.

Guest Sparkgap

I worked for the company (Marshall Refractories and Carblox Ltd) in the 1970s.

Originally Claremont House was the company Drawing Office, I remember walking past from the bus stop into the works passing the big bay windows and seeing the draughtsmen working at the large drawing boards within.

Later the drawing office was moved out and it became the company sports and social club.

There was still a rolling mill owned by the Swift company below the house in the early 1970s

This was my Grandfathers House! and My father lived there up until the 40's or 50's, it has been in the family for a long time,

and due to a complication with the wording of the will was not awarded, This might explain why they never tried to sell it, it may possibly still belong to my family

What a sad looking state Claremont is in now - it's truly criminal that the owner has been allowed to let this building fall into rack & ruin for purely economic reasons.

Claremont was MY Grandparents house too !! - Tom & Doris Marshall - who purchased the house from the Drake family in 1943 or 1944. I have lots of pictures of the house and wil try to post some here. If not, I'll find somewhere to upload them & post a link to them later.

Thanks for the pictures tim99 , Did you ever work there yourself?

I heard it was glorious in it's hayday.

Thanks for the pictures tim99 , Did you ever work there yourself?

I heard it was glorious in it's hayday.

no, I never worked there - it was my Grandparents house, I spent lots of my childhood there, well before it was offices or the sports & social club. Yes, it was a lovely house, and the inside was nicely laid out. I still have the plans somewhere, and lots more photos. The cellars were extensive (and scary!) too, and the attic rooms housed a Spanish couple, Jon & Sita, who were effectively the cook, housemaid & handyman. They were followed by Julia & Gabriel Pitarch. The downstairs rooms were a kitchen, dining room, hall, sitting room, and morning room, upstairs were 2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms. The main staircase had lovely wrought Iron railings, and the window at the halfway mark was beautiful stained glass. The gardener was called Arthur - I have a photo of him on his 'Barford Atom' truck somewhere. There was also Maud & Millie Hague (from Leader Rd, Hillsborough) who used to help there, they were both "old retainers" and went on working for my Gran long after Grandpa had died in 1965.

My aunt has loads more memories of Claremont too, as she was brought up there from the mid 1940's - maybe she'll write them down for Posterity one day ! I'll gather a few more photos together and post later if I can.

no, I never worked there - it was my Grandparents house, I spent lots of my childhood there, well before it was offices or the sports & social club. Yes, it was a lovely house, and the inside was nicely laid out. I still have the plans somewhere, and lots more photos. The cellars were extensive (and scary!) too, and the attic rooms housed a Spanish couple, Jon & Sita, who were effectively the cook, housemaid & handyman. They were followed by Julia & Gabriel Pitarch. The downstairs rooms were a kitchen, dining room, hall, sitting room, and morning room, upstairs were 2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms. The main staircase had lovely wrought Iron railings, and the window at the halfway mark was beautiful stained glass. The gardener was called Arthur - I have a photo of him on his 'Barford Atom' truck somewhere. There was also Maud & Millie Hague (from Leader Rd, Hillsborough) who used to help there, they were both "old retainers" and went on working for my Gran long after Grandpa had died in 1965.

My aunt has loads more memories of Claremont too, as she was brought up there from the mid 1940's - maybe she'll write them down for Posterity one day ! I'll gather a few more photos together and post later if I can.

Thanks tim99 , I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Guest sammyjane43

Hi, I used to work at Dysons in the 1980's and 1990's, I remember the rivalry that used to go off between the brickyards!

I've been researching the Turner family tree which has lead me to Storrs Bridge Rolling Mills. It shows William (snr), Emma (Wife), William (Jnr), Charles (son), Elizabeth (Dau) as living at Storrs Bridge in the 1891 Census and all three men working at the mill from that time.

Can anybody tell me where they would have probably lived? Would it have been in the terraced houses? Also William Jnr seems to just disappear after 1891 and I fear the worst!! Even in the 1980's clay mining was still a dangerous business. Any information greatly accepted.