Cobbled Streets

vox

What fantastic Cobbles on Doncaster Street, just look at the colour of them, no photo enhancements, they are the true colour.

This is Sandhurst Place, off Cobden View Road, Crookes.

All the years I've lived around there I've never noticed it before.

There are 4 "landlocked" terrace houses down there, with this being the only access

I know there are lots of "Hidden Gems" around Crookes and Walkley, and I know of many of them, but I wonder how many more there are that I don't know about.

GoogleStreetview

Streetview Link

Sorby Street used to have cobbles in pretty good condition. Unfortunately a few came out at the entrance to the car park of my employer just when the Boss got his super open top Mercedes sports car. The car grounded due to the missing cobles. The big Boss got onto the council screaming down the phone in his temper and the edge of the road got a tarmac repair.

Can anyone recognize the pictures below?

I'll give you all a clue - S2 postcode and has is not mentioned in the original post or anywhere on this thread.

wa0qo0.jpg

2zz4ug8.jpg

Apparently the roads close to hospitals often had oak cobbles as they were quieter when horses were passing. Spittal Hill and similar sounding roads get their name from 'Hospital Hill' etc, being the hill that leads to the hospital.

Took these a couple of weeks ago: Paradise Street looking rather naked. I was told by one of the men putting it all back together that the numbers on the setts indicate the depth of them.

i-2T334zM-XL.jpg

i-5vQzfMn-XL.jpg

i-vQS2xZh-XL.jpg

Another stretch of cobbles looking a little worse for wear:

Devonshire Lane (at the Eldon Street end). The cobbles appear to continue all the way along to Trafalgar Street in varying states of disrepair

i-q2BHm7T-L.jpg

Found cobbles still on - ASCOT STREET off Bramall Lane

and -  St BARNABAS LANE off St Barnabas Road