Images of Sheffield's Great War Soldiers - Surnames M-Z

dunsbyowl1867

Guest treebaby76

Thanks dean,..shame there is no image i just cant seem to find any info about him other than his adress at time of enlisting ,DOB, ETC he was a clerk at vickers and was hoping that his name would be on the roll of honour that is situated at the forgemasters gate im in liverpool and was hoping to come over to sheffield next weekend i just hope i can get some info,.do you think that if i speak to the curator of the yorks & lanc's museum in rotherham he may be able to find out a bit more? i fear my search for any info about him will be coming to a halt very soon i'm just doing what R moore's son wanted to do before he died he was 5 when his father died and he died in 1985 not knowing anything about him

Anyway keep up the good work this site is fantastic

regards

Theresa

Guest Trefcon

Hi Theresa,

there is a R. Moore on the Vickers Roll of Honour, no doubt it is your 'Moore', but because i cant be 100% sure its him i didn't mention it. He is listed by name and number though on the Sheffield Council 'Roll' so i was sure i'd got the right one.

I've not checked but with 25 odd pages of his service papers remaining on Ancestry you should glean quite a bit about him from them.

Check out Orchard Dump cemy details on CWGC site, that will give you an idea of roughly where he was when he died. Then contact The National Archives for the 2/5th War Diary. Also check out the Long Long Trail website, again you should find where the 2/5th were fighting.

hope this helps,

Dean.

Guest treebaby76

Thankyou ,..ive just looked at the CWGC and it looks like the cemetary he is in was linked to the battle of arras ive not checked ancestory yet ive not been on that site in a while but i will look later on i have found details of a r moore on a memorial in sheffield cathedral apparently it was moved there from somewere else and is a wooden pole ? aswell as the vickers roll of honour , i can imagine the name on vickers to be his as he worked there at the time of enlisting .

again thankyou for everything its been a great help a few of these websites have got better since i last looked so hopefully i will unearth a lot more

regards

Theresa

Hi Trefcon,

I have just joined the forum, would it be possible to send image and any other info on the below.

Marples. John William, Died. 11537 Pte. West Yorks. 16 Burlington Street.

Many thanks.

Guest Trefcon

Hi jayde, here with the image i have, not a very good one though.

Born and enlisted in Sheffield.

The only other thing i have is his MIC details -

Victory, British War and 1915 Star medals.

KIA.

Landed in France 26/8/1915.

Dean.

Hi jayde, here with the image i have, not a very good one though. Born and enlisted in Sheffield. The only other thing i have is his MIC details - Victory, British War and 1915 Star medals. KIA. Landed in France 26/8/1915. Dean.

Trefcon,

Many, many thanks for this, your a gentleman.

Do you have any other info about John at all?

Cheers,

John.

Trefcon has asked me to let you know he's taking a break from "The Great War" thread here on SheffieldHistory.

As a professional masochist he's going to spend his time and effort pulling together data for the 100th Anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War. I've seen the volume of data he's working with, its over 10 years worth and I can fully appreciate the need to

"stand well back and take stock".

As you can imagine this is an enormous undertaking and needs his full attention. It will, no doubt, be a brilliant peice of work and will definitely cause his head to melt.

Thus,Trefcon/Dean just wanted me to explain where's he's at and where he's heading. He's not running away, just suspending activity here, for a while, whilst he goes off to attend to what, I must say, sounds like exactly the kind of task he was always destined to do.

On behalf of us all I'd like to offer a sincere Thank you for all the effort that has gone into the information provided here on SH and for all the questions/requests that have been answered; and to offer

"all best wishes"

with the new project. The suspension of activity does mean he will no longer be able to deal with requests for pictures/information as he has been doing recently (matter of fact he's been at it for years) and now its time for him to concentrate on "stuff" he needs to do to see his research through to a logical conclusion.

This topic closed for now.