Images of Sheffield's Great War Soldiers - Surnames A-L

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Trefcon

Nikki, your in the Great War bit of the site. Suggest also that you try the papers at Local Studies, i've not looked at WW2 era papers so dont know what you'll find.

regards

Dean.

Guest Mike Dinnington

Hello - what a fabulous resource you have built up!

Do you have the image for: Heathcott. Frank Gordon, Died. 201375 Pte. York & Lancs. Watery Street.

He was related to my wifes family - we have traced his grave but have no picture of him

Any help appreciated

Mike

A small contribution to your man's story (I cannot do what Trefcon does; it's a labour of love).

Gives us an age and siblings and parents and places of birth.

Hello - what a fabulous resource you have built up! Do you have the image for: Heathcott. Frank Gordon, Died. 201375 Pte. York & Lancs. Watery Street. He was related to my wifes family - we have traced his grave but have no picture of him Any help appreciated Mike

Killed in action, 19th July 1917, Flanders; Private in York and Lancaster Regiment, 1/4th (Hallamshire) (T.F.) Battalion.

Nieuport Memorial

Hello - what a fabulous resource you have built up!

Do you have the image for: Heathcott. Frank Gordon, Died. 201375 Pte. York & Lancs. Watery Street.

He was related to my wifes family - we have traced his grave but have no picture of him

Any help appreciated

Mike

Guest Trefcon

Here with Frank.

His image appears in the Samuel Osborn's War Memoir 1914-1918. The War Memoir was a supplement that appeared in the company's in house magazine 'The Hand and Heart', Vol 1, No. 5, Dec. 1920.

This is Franks entry in the magazine -

'F.G. Heatcote, York & Lancs, worked at Rutland Works in the Fettling Department, afterwards transferring to Regent Works. He joined the Army on January 5th, 1915, and served in France for two years and one month, being gassed in December 1916, and he was killed in action at Nieuport on July 19th 1917. Heathcote worked for us from the time he left school, to the time of his enlistment, and his wife has worked at Brookhill'.

Notice surname spelt Heatcote. The same image appears in the papers of the day, stating Watery Lane as his address.

Guest Mike Dinnington

Thank you for all the replies to my query - you can't imagine how much that means to the family. Frank Heathcott's Great-niece (who is now 85) will see this picture today. For some reason, no family photographs of him had survived so to have this is very precious. Deepest gratitude to all.

Dean.

Did I give you this image - or is it from a newspaper - can you post it up if from Newspaper? Cheers!

Dibble. Llewelyn, Served. 4737015 York & Lancs. 4 Court, 1 House, Oaks Green, Attercliffe.

Guest TheBotanical

I have been looking for quite a while now for any images of my Great-Grandfather who served in the Sheffield City Battalion. He was Leslie Fred Silas Cave, he was KIA in Arras, 18 May 1917. I have an original letter froma Corporal Lacey informing his Mother of his death but that is all. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never seen what he looks like.

I have been looking for quite a while now for any images of my Great-Grandfather who served in the Sheffield City Battalion. He was Leslie Fred Silas Cave, he was KIA in Arras, 18 May 1917. I have an original letter froma Corporal Lacey informing his Mother of his death but that is all. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never seen what he looks like.

Hi Botanical

I have checked Deans lists, we don't seem to have an image of Lesley Fred Silas Cave.

However we do have an entry in our database for him SheffieldSoldier

Can you provide any further information Contact Sheffield Soldier

Also we have an L Cave shown on the St Mary's Bramall Ln Roll of Honour, could this be your Great-Grandfather

Stuart

Guest TheBotanical

Hi Botanical

I have checked Deans lists, we don't seem to have an image of Lesley Fred Silas Cave.

However we do have an entry in our database for him SheffieldSoldier

Can you provide any further information Contact Sheffield Soldier

Also we have an L Cave shown on the St Mary's Bramall Ln Roll of Honour, could this be your Great-Grandfather

Stuart

Many Thanks Stuart. Where is the Bramall Lane Roll Of Honour situated? That's the area his son (My Grandfather) lived.

Many Thanks Stuart. Where is the Bramall Lane Roll Of Honour situated? That's the area his son (My Grandfather) lived.

I remember you have mentioned Shoreham St in another topic.

The St Mary's Roll of honour is still in St Mary's Church, although I am not sure myself as to the buildings use nowadays.

see http://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/Memorial/St%20Marys%20Bramall%20Ln.html.

Guest TheBotanical

I remember you have mentioned Shoreham St in another topic.

The St Mary's Roll of honour is still in St Mary's Church, although I am not sure myself as to the buildings use nowadays.

see http://www.sheffield...mall%20Ln.html.

Greatly appreciated Stuart. I will have to take a trip there and have a look in January.

Trefcon has asked me to let you know he's taking a break from "The Great War" thread here on SheffieldHistory.

As a professional masochist he's going to spend his time and effort pulling together data for the 100th Anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War. I've seen the volume of data he's working with, its over 10 years worth and I can fully appreciate the need to

"stand well back and take stock".

As you can imagine this is an enormous undertaking and needs his full attention. It will, no doubt, be a brilliant peice of work and will definitely cause his head to melt.

Thus,Trefcon/Dean just wanted me to explain where's he's at and where he's heading. He's not running away, just suspending activity here, for a while, whilst he goes off to attend to what, I must say, sounds like exactly the kind of task he was always destined to do.

On behalf of us all I'd like to offer a sincere Thank you for all the effort that has gone into the information provided here on SH and for all the questions/requests that have been answered; and to offer

"all best wishes"

with the new project. The suspension of activity does mean he will no longer be able to deal with requests for pictures/information as he has been doing recently (matter of fact he's been at it for years) and now its time for him to concentrate on "stuff" he needs to do to see his research through to a logical conclusion.

This topic closed for now.

If you are willing and able scans of any such letters greatly appreciated so we can build a better resource honouring these people.

Same applies to all new members.

Thank you in advance.