Images of Sheffield's Great War Soldiers - Surnames A-L

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Trefcon

Hello Cliff and welcome to the forum.

This is what i have -

Very little to go on here, i dont know if this is your 'Dodsworth', you would need a family photograph for comparison.

Saying that though, there is a 20583 Walter Dodsworth, born Fulford, York,whose papers survive on Ancestry, also his Medal Card.

He was a Pte. with the RGA, winning himself the DCM. He married a Charlotte Hastings and lived on discharge at 62 Watkin? Street, Darnall.

Hope this helps Cliff.

regards

Dean.

Guest cliffx

Hello Cliff and welcome to the forum.

This is what i have -

Very little to go on here, i dont know if this is your 'Dodsworth', you would need a family photograph for comparison.

Saying that though, there is a 20583 Walter Dodsworth, born Fulford, York,whose papers survive on Ancestry, also his Medal Card.

He was a Pte. with the RGA, winning himself the DCM. He married a Charlotte Hastings and lived on discharge at 62 Watkin? Street, Darnall.

Hope this helps Cliff.

regards

Dean.

Thanks for that Dean, I don't know if this is fact a photo of the Walter I seek - but I will find out.

The Walter I seek is indeed the the man you describe, married to Charlotte. He was presented with his DCM by the Mayor of Sheffield, and I have a poor copy of a press cutting of the event. He was actually a Gunner rather than a Private, but that amounts to the same thing in the Artillery. I also have a part copy of his army record which is quite hard to read.

Thank you very much for this - if I can establish it is in fact this Walter I will post advice.

Regards,

Cliff

Guest Trefcon

Hi Cliff, here with his DCM citation in case you dont have it -

'for conspicuos gallantry and devotion to duty in going to the assistance of a comrade who had become entangled in barbed wire in rear of his gun during an intense bombardment. In extricating him he was severely wounded, & will probably lose both legs. His gallantry & devotion were beyond all praise' ( London Gazette 25/8/17 ).

Do you know ih he indeed did lose his legs Cliff, or did he somehow survive that trauma ? A very brave man.

Dean.

Guest cliffx

Thanks Dean,

Walter lost 1 leg apparently and survived well beyond the war.

When I find the DOD, I will advise.

This family apparently had many members who served with distinction.

Regards,

Cliff

Guest Brussell

I am new to the forum and wish to request the photograph of Humphrey Bollard who was my Great Grandad - How can I get in touch with Deansgirl to request this? I am still getting used to this online chat malarkey. Please help me - ta

Guest Trefcon

Hello Brussell,

here with the images i have of Humphrey, who sadly had his arm blown off.

Do you have any details for him, army number etc ?

hope these are ok for you.

Dean.

Guest Brussell

Hello Brussell,

here with the images i have of Humphrey, who sadly had his arm blown off.

Do you have any details for him, army number etc ?

hope these are ok for you.

Dean.

Dean

OMG I never thought i'd see his face - this is absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much!

Where on earth did you get this from?

I knew he had one arm and it was a war injury from my grandma but I have absolutely no idea what theatre of war he served in, regimental number or what happened.

He had a son Thomas Francis who died in 1914 in Flanders. I know he was in the 2nd York and Lancaster regiment and one of the numbers 10153. I can't find anything for Humphrey though. Where could I find out more?

Once again thanks so much Dean

Barbara

Guest Trefcon

Hi Barbara,

Humphrey was with the Kings own Scottish Borderers, number 7128. His papers and his medal card on all on Ancestry, but under the name BOLLAND. His papers make interesting reading !

Hunphreys name appears on Cammell Lairds Cyclops Works Roll of Honour, this is now at Kelham Island Industrial Museum here in Sheffield.

Humphrey and Thomas appear on the All Saints Roll's of Honour that were once at Ellesmere in Sheffield. The 'rolls' are now at St Georges at Brookhill in Sheffield.

Thomas's name also appears on the roll commemorating soley those that died.

Thomas's papers and MIC are also all on Ancestry.

Hope these help,

Dean.

Guest Brussell

Hi Barbara,

Humphrey was with the Kings own Scottish Borderers, number 7128. His papers and his medal card on all on Ancestry, but under the name BOLLAND. His papers make interesting reading !

Hunphreys name appears on Cammell Lairds Cyclops Works Roll of Honour, this is now at Kelham Island Industrial Museum here in Sheffield.

Humphrey and Thomas appear on the All Saints Roll's of Honour that were once at Ellesmere in Sheffield. The 'rolls' are now at St Georges at Brookhill in Sheffield.

Thomas's name also appears on the roll commemorating soley those that died.

Thomas's papers and MIC are also all on Ancestry.

Hope these help,

Dean.

Certainly is interesting reading WOW what a surprise!

Thanks for all your help Dean

Barbara

Dean

Do you have a photo of a Frederick Percy Le(a)ver or a Charles Leaver at all?

I found this in the Sheffindexers website directories - Lever, Frederick Percy (Pte./268756, Great War Roll of Honour).

Residing at West Riding Regiment (Duke of Wellington's), Sheffield in 1914-1918.

Recorded in: City of Sheffield Roll of Honour of Sheffield Men.

Thanks

Lyn

Guest Trefcon

Hi Lyn, afraid nothing at all on Frederick.

I do have an image of a Charles Leaver,

As you can see he was with the Navy.

His papers can be downloaded from TNA from the RNVR records.

His number was KW/728, this chap had previous service with the York & Lancs. Date of birth given as 6/10/1886.

Dean.

As you can see he was with the Navy.

His papers can be downloaded from TNA from the RNVR records.

His number was KW/728, this chap had previous service with the York & Lancs. Date of birth given as 6/10/1886.

Dean.

Many thanks Dean - I think it is Fred's brother.

Lyn

Guest Puttrell

I think Charles Puttrell may be related to me, my grandfather was John Puttrell. If you could send me an image of Charles Puttrell I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

Dean.

I think Frederick is the older brother; I think they were both watch-makers of Gibraltar Street and that Charles lived on St Philips Road (no. 189) in 1919.

I have only just found this site - well done to all who have put together the information, it's incredible.

My great-great uncle is listed in the names - Edley Binney. Are there any photographs or any other information on him?

Hi, here with what i have.

Edley Binney, born and enlisted in Sheffield.

3237 KRRC 'B' Coy.

Image appeared in the Sheffield Daily Independent on 2/10/15.

Also from the Yorkshire Telegraph and Star of 26/9/16 -

"BINNEY- In loving memory of our dear brother, Rifleman E. Binney, KRRC's killed in action Sept. 26, 1915.

Dear brother how we miss you,

We alone and God can tell;

We little thought that when we parted

It would be the long farewell.

- Alice and Ethel.

His service papers and medal index card are on Ancestry.

His papers have his father John at 42 Bolehill Lane, Crookes then later at 51 Elton Street, Walkley.

He was wounded in action on 25/9/15 and died the next day.

His MIC states he was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1915 Star medals. He landed at Boulogne in France on 21/7/15.

In his personal effects were amongst other things -

Cigarette case

2 Hymn books

Crucifix

1 Coin

His battalion formed up after arriving in France in the St Omer area, moving to the Fleurbaix area for early training.

His name appears on the St Mary's roll of honour at Walkley, there is also an E. Binney on the Heeley Christ Church roll of honour.

Heeley Christ Church.

St Mary's.

Dean.

Thank you so much for this and so quickly! I had already accessed ancestry, but the photo and obituary are wonderful.

Thanks again

Maxine

Hi

This site refers to someone who has wonderfully gathered photographs of sheffield first world war soldiers - but I am not quite sure who the contact is. Two of the soldiers called "Antcliffe" on the index will I think be mine. Does anyone know how I can obtain these images?

Hi

This site refers to someone who has wonderfully gathered photographs of sheffield first world war soldiers - but I am not quite sure who the contact is. Two of the soldiers called "Antcliffe" on the index will I think be mine. Does anyone know how I can obtain these images?

Re:

Antcliffe. Arthur, Died. Pte. 2nd Yorks Regt. Sheffield Independent War Album.

Antcliffe. W. Served. R.G.A.

Hi Seth,

I have moved your question into the correct area, good luck with your search.

Steve.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Seth, here with what i have.

There is an Arthur Antcliff, without the E, on the Beighton Methodist church roll of honour, and a Arthur Antcliffe on the Victoria Methodist Hall roll of honour.

This W. Antcliffe appears in the Tommy Wards roll of honour book.

It states - 'joined the Colours from Albion Offices on attaining military age in September, 1917. Served as Gunner and Bombardier in Royal Garrison Artillery. Was on Home Service during the War and served on North Scottish Coastal Defences as Signaller and Telephonist. Is now completing service with Allied Commission in Berlin as Tempoary Civil Subordinate under War Office.'

W. Antcliffes general impressions of the War were - 'My impression of the War, and more particulary of its aftermath, are many and varied, but the outstanding feature is the triumph of the cause of liberty, over the cause of oppression and brutality.'

There is a medal index card for a Walter Antcliffe of the RGA, number 191364 on Ancestry.

There is another W. Antcliffe, William, he was with the KOYLI, number 13713. His name appears on the Vickers roll of honour at No 1 Gate at Sheffield Forgemasters.

hope this helps Seth,

Dean.

Re:

Antcliffe. Arthur, Died. Pte. 2nd Yorks Regt. Sheffield Independent War Album.

Antcliffe. W. Served. R.G.A.

Hi Seth,

I have moved your question into the correct area, good luck with your search.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

Hi Seth, here with what i have.

There is an Arthur Antcliff, without the E, on the Beighton Methodist church roll of honour, and a Arthur Antcliffe on the Victoria Methodist Hall roll of honour.

This W. Antcliffe appears in the Tommy Wards roll of honour book.

It states - 'joined the Colours from Albion Offices on attaining military age in September, 1917. Served as Gunner and Bombardier in Royal Garrison Artillery. Was on Home Service during the War and served on North Scottish Coastal Defences as Signaller and Telephonist. Is now completing service with Allied Commission in Berlin as Tempoary Civil Subordinate under War Office.'

W. Antcliffes general impressions of the War were - 'My impression of the War, and more particulary of its aftermath, are many and varied, but the outstanding feature is the triumph of the cause of liberty, over the cause of oppression and brutality.'

There is a medal index card for a Walter Antcliffe of the RGA, number 191364 on Ancestry.

There is another W. Antcliffe, William, he was with the KOYLI, number 13713. His name appears on the Vickers roll of honour at No 1 Gate at Sheffield Forgemasters.

hope this helps Seth,

Dean.

Thanks Dean...yes this does help indeed. Thanks again.

Guest Lonewolf

hi folks

i am new to this sheffield history site .so i am not quite sure how to use it.i noticed something about (images of sheffields great war soldiers).

on searching i found the name of a soldier named a hawksworth,served / wounded pte k.o.y.l.i 18 ottley street / walkley.

i think this is my great uncle.my grandmothrs brother.he was born arthur but later changed it to robert arthur hawksworth.does anyone now how i can get hold of the image ,or is it just a list of soldiers who were in the war. could anyone please help me out.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Lonewolf, hope you get this.

There is a medal index card on Ancestry for a A. Hawksworth of the KOYLI, number 26030.

Dean.

lol Hi i am doing my family tree, and i have come across one of my Ancestors a John Graney he was killed in WW1 he was with the Royal Garrison Artillery he died on the The13TH may 1918 he is in the Thelus Military Cemetery he was 29 when he was killed it says 108354 siege bty,royal garrison artillery gunner john graney son of a William James and Betsy graney how would i find out what medals he would have got if he was married at the time of his death and if he would have had any children lol