Sheffield v Glasgow

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

There was once a regular annual series of matches between the Sheffield FA and the Glasgow FA, and it all began in March 1874 when the first match was played at Bramall Lane --the teams sharing a 2-2 draw. Here is the cover of the match programme for the 1933 meeting at Bramall Lane on Monday October 23.

Is there anywhere or anyone who has a complete record of these matches. I've found several match reports over the years, but there are gaps. Just wondered if anyone has info on these games.

Don't know why I wrote that, as I nearly have a complete record of the games I want plus the matches against London. A photograph of the teams around 1900 has just turned up too. Going to stop off at Sheffield library tomorrow to get missing reports and that will finish that bit of the book off nicely.

Is there anywhere or anyone who has a complete record of these matches. I've found several match reports over the years, but there are gaps. Just wondered if anyone has info on these games.

Early ones :

1874 Sheffield 2 Glasgow 2

1875 Glasgow 2 Sheffield 0

1876 Sheffield 0 Glasgow 2

1877 Glasgow 1 Sheffield 0

1878 Sheffield 2 Glasgow 4

1879 Glasgow 4 Sheffield 1

1880 Sheffield 0 Glasgow 1

1881 Glasgow 3 Sheffield 0

1882 Sheffield 3 Glasgow 1

1883 Glasgow 4 Sheffield 2

1884 Sheffield 1 Glasgow 2

1885 Glasgow 9 Sheffield 1

1886 Sheffield 2 Glasgow 2

1887 Glasgow 10 Sheffield 3

Here are the stats for Sheffield V Glasgow matches containing Fred Spiksley. Although I don't have stats for a couple of them.

Date Venue Attendance Score

1892 ? ? 2 4

12.11.93 Bramall Lane 10,000 3 3

1893 Glasgow ? 7 3

07.12.95 Glasgow 3,000 3 1

07.11.96 Bramall Lane 1,500 5 1

10.12.98 Bramall Lane 5,500 2 1

04.11.99 Hampden Park 6,000 0 4

27.10.02 Owlerton 6,000 0 2

Guest Niall Kennedy

Last week I was reading the match report from the Sheffield v Glasgow match from 9 Feb 1878 from the North British Daily Mail. It made special reference to Glasgow's passing game compared to the dribbling of the Sheffield players. Glasgow won 4-2 at Bramall Lane.

Guest Niall Kennedy

15/02/1879 - Glasgow 4 (Richmond(2), McNeil, Ker) v Sheffield 1 (Cursham) at Hampden. 6000 crowd.

Sheffield team: H.N.Moss (Sharrow Rangers); E.Buttery (Exchange), R.Gregory (Hallam); J.Hunter (Heeley), W.E.Clegg (captain, Albion); A.W.Cursham (Thursday Wanderers), A.Woodcock (Kimberworth), H.A.Cursham (Thursday Wanderers), T.H.Sorby (Thursday Wanderers), J.Tomlinson (Heeley), W.Mosforth (Albion)

I guess these clubs are long gone?

Last week I was reading the match report from the Sheffield v Glasgow match from 9 Feb 1878 from the North British Daily Mail. It made special reference to Glasgow's passing game compared to the dribbling of the Sheffield players. Glasgow won 4-2 at Bramall Lane.

The game is quickly developed into the scottish way of playing. English may have inveted the game, but the scots taught us how to play it.

Guest bblenkin

The game is quickly developed into the scottish way of playing. English may have inveted the game, but the scots taught us how to play it.

Very true, and beating England 5-1 at Wembley in 1928 was a reflection of this, but the Scots didn't only teach the English. In the early 1900's three teams in Czechoslovakia employed Scottish coaches, and the Austrians are reported to have modelled their playing style on the Scottish passing-game following the visit of Glasgow Rangers in 1905. When the Austrian Wunderteam visited Stamford Bridge to play England in 1932, they almost became the first continental team to beat us on home soil (we scraped home 4-3). This match generated interest in the Italian football press, and one correspondent commented on the influences on the Austrian style of play as being a “judicious mix of Scottish play: dribbling and short passing with as much English play…”.

My grandfather Ernest Blenkinsop played in a number of the Sheffield-Glasgow games and as far as I can tell it appeared to assume a form of "semi-international" status. The game would be attended by various dignatries from each city, and be followed by a reception which the players would attend.

Early ones :

1874 Sheffield 2 Glasgow 2

1875 Glasgow 2 Sheffield 0

1876 Sheffield 0 Glasgow 2

1877 Glasgow 1 Sheffield 0

1878 Sheffield 2 Glasgow 4

1879 Glasgow 4 Sheffield 1

1880 Sheffield 0 Glasgow 1

1881 Glasgow 3 Sheffield 0

1882 Sheffield 3 Glasgow 1

1883 Glasgow 4 Sheffield 2

1884 Sheffield 1 Glasgow 2

1885 Glasgow 9 Sheffield 1

1886 Sheffield 2 Glasgow 2

1887 Glasgow 10 Sheffield 3

Hi

There is a new book come out recently that lists all the details - teams, score etc for the Sheffield V Glasgow games if you are interested then please contact me and I will give you full details of how to get one.

Chris Eyre (Sheffield & Hallamshire Historian)