Gravestones laid flat on Church Street and Campo Lane

RichardB

Hello tsavo,

Looks like Alice Maud Sexton aged 2, adopted daughter, on the 1891 census, born Clown (Clowne?), Derbyshire.

I can't find an exact match for her 1901, but there is an Alice Saxton, down as 12 year old niece to head of house John Saxton at Long Eaton, Derbyshire. Her place of birth states Derbyshire. There's also another niece listed. A 21 year old Annie Parkin born Ripley, Derbyshire. Dunno if this helps.

Regards,

Andy

Thanks again Andy, thought it may have been Maud, but could only just make it out and after the S ----was just a blur,

Hitchen in Sheffield is a rare name and they kept themselves well hidden on census returns.

found her on 1901 index

Alice M Seston 12 Derbys Clowne Shropshire Hadley

OK, one isn't a photo, but, bonus, the other one is ....

I'd been told the old stones outside the Cathedral were old gravestones, now, sadly the inscriptions won away. But I never knew that they were originally laid down flat, as per the following pictures

Well, they did always say Campo Lane was very narrow ! Seems they "stole" a bit off the back of the Churchyard, then "stole" a bit off the front as well. Caused a bit of a stir - I'm sure the kids used to sing a rhyme about it, going up the Broomhall or somewhere to abuse Rev Wilkinson ...

Picture courtesy of Picture Sheffield

I remember some of the paving slabs outside the cathedral having inscriptions ala gravestones don't know if they were though .Used to hate walking there

Somebody walking over your grave and all that

I remember some of the paving slabs outside the cathedral having inscriptions ala gravestones don't know if they were though .Used to hate walking there

Somebody walking over your grave and all that

Somewhere, somewhere, I'm sure I have a listing of the inscriptions, Help Me, calling all the "big guns" - where the heck is it ? Leader ? Youle ?

Bugger !

Gravestones originally vertical, laid flat circa late 1850's, hence laid flat in photographs.

t' owd alabaster - the Blue Coat Charity School Boys used to vault over this gravestone.

George Herbert Sayles at no 163 Heavygate Road is my great great uncle (think I've got that correct). He worked in his mothers shop, my great great great grandmother Emma Sayles (nee Morton). She had a shop at no1 Grouse Street as late as 1911, then aged 73, and may well have run the shop until her death in 1918. Small world.

Regards,

andyc

There's a George Herbert SAYLES, born c.1870, died 1943, buried in walkley Cemetery. Would that be your gtgt uncle? (a Florence buried with him, probably his wife. Also people called LEEDHAM and SPENCER)

Hugh

I'd been told the old stones outside the Cathedral were old gravestones, now, sadly the inscriptions won away. But I never knew that they were originally laid down flat, as per the following pictures

Well, they did always say Campo Lane was very narrow ! Seems they "stole" a bit off the back of the Churchyard, then "stole" a bit off the front as well. Caused a bit of a stir - I'm sure the kids used to sing a rhyme about it, going up the Broomhall or somewhere to abuse Rev Wilkinson ...

I think you may be thinking about the Hallam Enclosures in 1791. There was a riot in Sheffield and the dragoons were called from Nottingham. They put the riot down but not before the rioters had tried to set fire to Broom Hall, the home of the vicar, Rev. Wilkinson, who was one of the promoters of the enclosures. The rioters set fire to a haystack, and broke into the house and tried to set fire to the library. Thereafter there was a rhyme did the rounds to the effect

"They burnt his books

And scared his rooks,

And set his stacks on fire".

There is a story that a group of kids saw him in the street and got one of them, a little girl, to go up to him and sing the rhyme. This she did in all innocence, to which he replied "Yes my dear, come along with me" and took her to the town stocks!

Correct in every aspect, well found. There is more on Rev. James Wilkinson on here, sear for "Old Niddlety Nod" - a nickname he

put up with. Admin is our own "Old Niddlety Nod" !!!!

Nov 3rd 1800.

General meeting of the seatholders of the parish

church; resolved

"that the interior of the church should be repaired pursuant to the order of the

Archdeacon; that the church burgesses do (as they have agreed) pay for the pulling down the

pillars and the arches in the body of the church, raising them higher, altering the roof over the

north and south aisles, &c., and that the seatholders do defray the expense of new paving the church."

George Smith chairman; George Knowles and John Morver, churchwardens.

The Romans had a temple on or near to the site of the old church, and what confirms it is a that when

the repairs and addition were making, it was found that the east end stood upon a vast bed of

bones, and it excited the curiosity of the undertakers to examine further, when they found that

that part almost entirely stood upon bones, and they were surprised how the church stood on such

a foundation. It has always been remarked that where the Roman Campa is found, that there

also many bones are discovered. It is without dispute that Campo-lane has the same reference

to the Campa as Church-street has to the church.

The old Brocoo Bank was a Roman appellation; and Ponoters-lane is supposed to be Roman.

—Anon,

Hello tsavo,

Is it the Street listing for Heavygate Road you want 1901?

Thats a coincidence... I'm about 50 yards from Heavygate Road and can see the Street while I'm sat here typing.

Regards,

Andy

Do you think there was something in the water up in the Heavygate area, I used to live on Matlock Road down from the Heavygate Inn? :blink:

Must be, Huthwaite, as I lived in Aldred Rd and used to sledge from there onto Matlock Rd. Never was brave enough to try the ultimate though, all the way down to Langsett Rd or even Neepsend! Both were (technically) possible. Of course thats when we had real snow!

Must be, Huthwaite, as I lived in Aldred Rd and used to sledge from there onto Matlock Rd. Never was brave enough to try the ultimate though, all the way down to Langsett Rd or even Neepsend! Both were (technically) possible. Of course thats when we had real snow!

Strange how we all have an interest in history :unsure: we sledged down to the bottom of Cromwell street, but dare not venture further :o

In 1823, about forty Roman coins were found on

Crookesmoor, and in 1855, 600 coins, ranging in date from

A.D. 68-AD. 212, were dug up in the cellar of a

house at Swinton.

In a brickfield near Cricket Road a jar containing 100 silver denarii was discovered in 1860.

The Parish Church is supposed to be on the site of

an old camp, but of this we have no actual proof.

The narrow lane adjoining is called Campo Lane.

Picture Sheffield link : http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s02186

Time for another reminder about this one...

These posts are almost ten years old, but I've noticed some questions on this thread regarding Alice Maud Seston. She was my grandmother, born in 1888 and died in Toronto, Canada in 1935, almost thirty years before I was born. I don't know very much about her, but I believe that she was born in Clowne. Her father was Willey Seston and her mother died the same year that she was born. For some reason, not altogether clear to me (my father didn't know much about his family), she grew up with the Hitchen family. In my grandfather's things, I found a business card that says "T. Hitch, Importer of Foreign Wines and Spirits, Cigars, &c., Grey Horse, Stoke Street ...  Established 1876 (in handwriting, to 1895). On the back of the card, there is, handwritten: "Golden Ball, Townhead Street 8 years, Ball Inn, opposite Parish Church, 10 years. Present Address, 55 Zion Lane, Sheffield." If anyone can shed some more light as to who Thomas Hitchen was, or about my grandmother, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Tom James said:

These posts are almost ten years old, but I've noticed some questions on this thread regarding Alice Maud Seston. She was my grandmother, born in 1888 and died in Toronto, Canada in 1935, almost thirty years before I was born. I don't know very much about her, but I believe that she was born in Clowne. Her father was Willey Seston and her mother died the same year that she was born. For some reason, not altogether clear to me (my father didn't know much about his family), she grew up with the Hitchen family. In my grandfather's things, I found a business card that says "T. Hitch, Importer of Foreign Wines and Spirits, Cigars, &c., Grey Horse, Stoke Street ...  Established 1876 (in handwriting, to 1895). On the back of the card, there is, handwritten: "Golden Ball, Townhead Street 8 years, Ball Inn, opposite Parish Church, 10 years. Present Address, 55 Zion Lane, Sheffield." If anyone can shed some more light as to who Thomas Hitchen was, or about my grandmother, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas was related to my wife, as far as i know Alice's mother was related to Thomas' wife Alice Mary Bolas,

from my notes,

Marriages Sep 1885 
BOLAS Martha Louisa Sheffield  9c 541  Marriages ---sister to Alice Mary -mother to Alice Maud
Seston Willey Sheffield  9c 541 Marriages