Oakbrook

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Cheers Steve

I think the house is still there and forms part of Notre Dam school.

This house was/ is on the next corner, but the extensive grounds have been built on.

www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t03584

www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t03587

Thomas Firth, the steelman of the Victorian era, lived at Oakbrook. I think it became some kind of nursing home run by nuns. I have visited it, and it is a distinguished building. John Brown, who was a rival of Firth's for many years in the mid-19th century, built his own mansion just down the road --Endcliffe Hall!

Thomas Firth, the steelman of the Victorian era, lived at Oakbrook. I think it became some kind of nursing home run by nuns. I have visited it, and it is a distinguished building. John Brown, who was a rival of Firth's for many years in the mid-19th century, built his own mansion just down the road --Endcliffe Hall!

Firth built the house I believe. I remember reading somewhere that he demolished a Queen Anne mansion that was on the site to do it!

It's claim to fame was when the Prince of Wales stayed there as his guest. There's a grand entrance porch to the house that was added especially for the visit so he could descend from his carriage under cover.

Help, I saw a thread on Sheffield History which showed pictures of the inside of Oakbrook, once home of Mark Firth and now Notre Dame High School. But I can't find the thead. Can anyone help?

1 hour ago, Stunmon said:

Help, I saw a thread on Sheffield History which showed pictures of the inside of Oakbrook, once home of Mark Firth and now Notre Dame High School. But I can't find the thead. Can anyone help?

Details of this and other local houses are in "The Growth of Ranmoor, Hangingwater and Nether Green" by Peter Warr -- available in local libraries and via the Internet.