Godfrey Maps of Sheffield 1901 - 1905

Guest Trefcon

Guest Barbara M

I have just today joined this website because I saw this thread about Holt House Cottages.

My greatgrandfather George Willoughby, was born in Holt House Cottages in 1860 & I was despairing of finding out where they had once been located when I came across this thread.

With no more ado I sent off for a Alan Godfrey map of 1903 Nether Edge, and found then straight away & I joined this website to say a big Thank You !!

I will probably find this site invaluable as I continue with my family research.

Many thanks again ,

Barbara M

I have just today joined this website because I saw this thread about Holt House Cottages.

My greatgrandfather George Willoughby, was born in Holt House Cottages in 1860 & I was despairing of finding out where they had once been located when I came across this thread.

With no more ado I sent off for a Alan Godfrey map of 1903 Nether Edge, and found then straight away & I joined this website to say a big Thank You !!

I will probably find this site invaluable as I continue with my family research.

Many thanks again ,

Barbara M

Hi Barbara, welcome to the Forum! Glad we were able to help.If we can help again, just ask, we thrive on questions!

Guest Gramps

Many thanks again ,

Barbara M

Hi Barbara, if you don't have one there is a photo of Holt House Cottages in a book by Peter Harvey Abbeydale and Millhouses ISBN: 1845881249.

Sheffield libraries have 5 copies available at Central Lending Library, Central Children's Library, Highfield Library, Park Library, and Totley Library, and you can reserve a copy for collection at any library with just a simple telephone call. (NB - not the Abbeydale and Millhouses Second Selection ISBN: 0752424521 of which there are many more copies available).

I don't know when the cottages were demolished but I fancy I can remember them from trips to Millhouses Park on the tram in the late 40s/early 50s.

The cottages were there on the OS 1850 map but not on Fairbanks' map of 1795 , - you can see just how 'rural' the area was in the 1860s.

Guest dearmariana

Nether Edge 1903 Sheet 294.15 Godfrey

Grange Cottage - Ecclesall Road.

Hello, I'm doing some family research and I noticed the above post, and I was wondering if you could help me verify a location? I don't know the area well, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

All I know is that William PICKERING (1836-1915; occupation- 'Farm Bailiff') lived with his family in Handsworth, Yorkshire.

In the 1871 Census he was with his first wife and 8 children at '212 The Grange'.

In the 1881 Census, his wife had died, and he moved with his children to '28 The Weigh Houses 1 and 2' (the neighboring house is called 'Grange Cottage').

In the 1891 Census, he lived with his youngest child, his second wife, and step-children in '102 Dove (or Dore?) House Farm'.

And finally in the 1901 Census, he lived with his wife at '12 Ballified'.

All are listed as 'Handsworth, Sheffield'.

Does anyone have ANY idea about the locations and modern addresses of any of these places? Thank you SO much for any help!

-Mariana Pickering

Hello, I'm doing some family research and I noticed the above post, and I was wondering if you could help me verify a location? I don't know the area well, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

All I know is that William PICKERING (1836-1915; occupation- 'Farm Bailiff') lived with his family in Handsworth, Yorkshire.

In the 1871 Census he was with his first wife and 8 children at '212 The Grange'.

In the 1881 Census, his wife had died, and he moved with his children to '28 The Weigh Houses 1 and 2' (the neighboring house is called 'Grange Cottage').

In the 1891 Census, he lived with his youngest child, his second wife, and step-children in '102 Dove (or Dore?) House Farm'.

And finally in the 1901 Census, he lived with his wife at '12 Ballified'.

All are listed as 'Handsworth, Sheffield'.

Does anyone have ANY idea about the locations and modern addresses of any of these places? Thank you SO much for any help!

-Mariana Pickering

Hi Marina

Welcome to the site,

The reference you quote Grange Cottage Ecclesall Road is the opposite side of the city to Handsworth, Handsworth being east of Sheffield

There is a Gogfrey map of the Handsworth area, I would highly recommend these maps for their historical detail and as a Yorkshireman for there low price.

Marina

Do you live in Sheffield?

Looking at my Handsworth map

Dore House, The Grange and Ballifield are all within a few hundred yards, however all these areas have been highly developed now/

If you look at google maps and follow Handsworth Road towards Woodhouse, Beaverhill Road leaves Handsworth Road in a southerly direction, this is the area we are talking about.

Dore House to the east of Handsworth Road at this point

Ballifield to the west

The Grange was to the east off Beaverhill Road, about 800 yards south of its junction with Handsworth Road.

Guest dearmariana

Marina

Do you live in Sheffield?

Looking at my Handsworth map

Dore House, The Grange and Ballifield are all within a few hundred yards, however all these areas have been highly developed now/

If you look at google maps and follow Handsworth Road towards Woodhouse, Beaverhill Road leaves Handsworth Road in a southerly direction, this is the area we are talking about.

Dore House to the east of Handsworth Road at this point

Ballifield to the west

The Grange was to the east off Beaverhill Road, about 800 yards south of its junction with Handsworth Road.

Thank you so much for your reply. My dad was the last one of a LONG line of Pickerings from Sheffield, but he moved to the US and had me there. And now I live in Italy... so no, definitely not in Sheffield! The location and place names are very confusing to me. I'm not clear on the order of magnitude of a parish, versus a village or town, then a county, then a wapentake? (a word I've never heard until I started this research)...

I've just discovered (about 2 minutes ago) this site: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Which looks to be very helpful. I'll check on the Godfrey Maps next.

Thanks for the description. I'm hoping to pass through this summer and I'm trying to make a map of historical family spots to see! I guess none of the old buildings are standing then?

-Mariana

Thank you so much for your reply. My dad was the last one of a LONG line of Pickerings from Sheffield, but he moved to the US and had me there. And now I live in Italy... so no, definitely not in Sheffield! The location and place names are very confusing to me. I'm not clear on the order of magnitude of a parish, versus a village or town, then a county, then a wapentake? (a word I've never heard until I started this research)...

I've just discovered (about 2 minutes ago) this site: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Which looks to be very helpful. I'll check on the Godfrey Maps next.

Thanks for the description. I'm hoping to pass through this summer and I'm trying to make a map of historical family spots to see! I guess none of the old buildings are standing then?

-Mariana

Would that it were that simple Mariana! A parish was originally a division of the church, but later in some places became the lowest level of civil administration. The 2 functions are seperate, the church parish is run by a Parochial Church Council, and the civil parish by the Parish Council.

A village or a town aren't levels of administration, but places. The smallest would be a hamlet, with just a couple of houses or farms; then a village, which would be larger and usually have some identifiable centre, such as a church, or an inn, or a village green;then a town, then a city, then a county. But they are not all administrative areas in their own right. A town would be next in size, and probably have its own Council. A city is next in size, and would also have its own council; then comes the county, which is a geographical area and may also be an administrative area as well, but not necessarily.

A wapentake is the equivalent of a hundred, a subdivision of a county dating to before Norman times. They're called hundreds in the south of England and Wapentakes in the north, where the Danes ruled.

The other one you might come across is Bierlow, as in Ecclesall Bierlow and Brightside Bierlow. These are antiquated administrative areas, also dating back to when the Danes ruled the area.

Guest dearmariana

Would that it were that simple Mariana! A parish was originally a division of the church, but later in some places became the lowest level of civil administration. The 2 functions are seperate, the church parish is run by a Parochial Church Council, and the civil parish by the Parish Council.

A village or a town aren't levels of administration, but places. The smallest would be a hamlet, with just a couple of houses or farms; then a village, which would be larger and usually have some identifiable centre, such as a church, or an inn, or a village green;then a town, then a city, then a county. But they are not all administrative areas in their own right. A town would be next in size, and probably have its own Council. A city is next in size, and would also have its own council; then comes the county, which is a geographical area and may also be an administrative area as well, but not necessarily.

A wapentake is the equivalent of a hundred, a subdivision of a county dating to before Norman times. They're called hundreds in the south of England and Wapentakes in the north, where the Danes ruled.

The other one you might come across is Bierlow, as in Ecclesall Bierlow and Brightside Bierlow. These are antiquated administrative areas, also dating back to when the Danes ruled the area.

Oh my goodness. You crazy Brits. Well, at least your census records are beautifully organized compared to the Italian ones I've been sifting through! I'm gonna have to keep these notes next to me while I research... :) Thanks!

-Mariana

Guest Michael Astill
On 26 January 2009, Stuart0742 said:

Sheffield Park 294.12

Arbourthorne Farm - Arbourthorne Rd

Beech Hill - Norfolk Park Rd

Belle View - Norfolk Park Rd

Cherry Mount - Edmund Rd

East Bank - East Bank Rd

East Cliffe - East Bank Rd

East Hill - East Bank Rd

Knowle House - Norfolk Park Rd

Mandrake House - East Bank Rd

Manor Lodge (Ruins) - Manor Ln

Norfolk Lodge - Norfolk Park Rd

Olive Grove - Heeley Bank Rd

Park Grange - Grange Rd

Park House - East Bank Rd

Park Spring House - East Bank Rd

Prospect House - City Rd

Queens Tower - East Bank Rd

Shrewsbury Hospital (Almshouses) - Norfolk Rd

St Elizabeth’s Home - Duchess Rd

Talbot Lodge - Norfolk Park Rd

The Farm - Granville Rd

Does anyone have any history of Knowle House & The Lodge at The Bottom of The Drive , my Family Ken & Vera Astill My Parents lived there from about 1948 to 1956/7 Mr & Mrs Armitage lived in the Lodge , I believe the Properties Belonged to The Duke of Norfolk

1 hour ago, Michael Astill said:

Does anyone have any history of Knowle House & The Lodge at The Bottom of The Drive , my Family Ken & Vera Astill My Parents lived there from about 1948 to 1956/7 Mr & Mrs Armitage lived in the Lodge , I believe the Properties Belonged to The Duke of Norfolk

Knowle House still stands, sadly the Gate Lodge was recently demolished.

1 hour ago, Michael Astill said:

Feltrup William, cashier Duke of Norfolk's estate  offices (Knowle house) Norfolk Park Road, 1901, 1905 & 1911 directories.
Smeeton Wallace Jas. (Knowle house), Norfolk Park Road. 1925.

13 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Smeeton Wallace Jas. (Knowle house), Norfolk Park Road. 1925.

Think this was the chap.

Smeeton Wallace J, wholesale butcher,  24, 26, 27, 28, 29 & 76, Killing  shambles, Castle  Folds Lane. 1925 directory.

Guest Michael Astill

Hi Steve I definately remember that Name 'Smeeton'  about 15 years ago I did a lot of research on Knowle House i.e. when was it built , by whom etc I am pretty sure 'The Lodge was Built First ' My sister & I Remember a Date Carved on The Large Fire Place in The Sitting Room about mid 1850s , Over the last few years when I visited Sheffield I often with permission walked up the drive , bringing back Wonderful Childhood Memories Living There , Dad kept pigs & chickens , in the extensive grounds was an orchard full of fruit Trees & Bushes , It would be great to find out more about The House , who lived there ? there were servants quarters and seperate staircase , huge cellars