Old Canny Street Kid

Local Cricket Heroes --post your memories!

30 posts in this topic

John - may be a long shot but many of the sports teams in the 19th century ie The Wednesday, Sheffield United had both fooball and cricket sections. One of these clubs - and the only one I can think of beginning with "E" (apart from Ecclesfield or Ecclesall was the Exchange Works who had both a football and cricket team. I suppos ethere is a chance they were referred to as Exchaneg Works (Sheffield) cricket Club ?

Could this fit ? from Sheffield Telegraph 1902 !

exchange cricket.tiff

found a great shiregreen photo with my dad in , can anyone recognise and name the others please. looking at the posts above looks like the 2 chaps there( Pat Flaherty and Graham Burdett )

Screenshot_2015-05-12-21-38-15.png

As I have only been able to post on the Forum since May, though I had read the posts for some months before then,I have a lot of memories going back to childhood days of cricket in Sheffield and South Yorkshire. In Old Canny Street Kid's early posts I recognize names of quite a number I knew or played against.

Brought up in a cricketing environment ( taken to first match at Gas Work's ground - Age about 6 months!) it was the early 40's before I had my own first 'proper' bat.(I still have it!). During the War years the Cricket Weeks at Thorncliffe and Parkhead plus the ESC v Shiregreen 'War Effort Charity' matches used to attract large crowds with well known County and International players ( I was collecting autographs by then) as well as the best of local talent.

Though my playing days in South Yorkshire finished in the early 60's I remember the great guys I had the privilege of watching and playing with plus the many hardworking and conscientious characters who gave their time to the game of cricket.

When Old Canny Street Kid started this thread almost 8 years ago responses were slow in appearing, perhaps in part due to there being fewer older ' not yet computer savvy' older cricketers around or too busy involved in running, and/or umpiring, local clubs. Today the encouragement given to young cricketers and the progress of Women's Cricket has been rapid thanks to the efforts of many of those mentioned in the early posts.

In the hope that someone recognizes a relative whose cricketing days were active then I have attached a couple of scans of ESC teams of 1948 and 1951/2.  

hpqscan0001.jpg

hpqscan0002.jpg

1948 Team: Back Row L to R:

E Bullock   M Cooke  D Jacques   J Knighton G Bradley

Front Row L to R;

H Orridge   W Jarvis   F Smith   J Spencer   W Norman   R Short

anyone got anymore pictures of 80s frechville or shire green cricket club?

On 2/11/2015 at 20:56, dunsbyowl1867 said:

John - may be a long shot but many of the sports teams in the 19th century ie The Wednesday, Sheffield United had both fooball and cricket sections. One of these clubs - and the only one I can think of beginning with "E" (apart from Ecclesfield or Ecclesall was the Exchange Works who had both a football and cricket team. I suppos ethere is a chance they were referred to as Exchaneg Works (Sheffield) cricket Club ?

Could this fit ? from Sheffield Telegraph 1902 !

exchange cricket.tiff

Hi Jon , I played with your dad and John at Shiregreen in the mid seventies when they had a very good side , I was only 16 / 17 at the time and remember him being a big imposing figure in the dressing room , Graham Burdett captained , your dad opened the bowling with Roger Heath , Rog Crapper was stumper , Pat Flaherty , Ian Varley spinners , Mick Jones batter John Myers , Jim Sorsby bowler , we won the league a couple of times back then , it was a top club with Ben Jessop chairman and several other older ex players scoring , ground duties etc , happy days

Hi Jon Myers your picture of the presentation shows Roger Crapper , stumper at the side of your dad and far right is Ian Varley

Perhaps someone will recognize this trio at a famous ground. 

2014-04-09_2.thumb.JPG.955ea3bb62af5e51698d11587419f690.JPG