North Pole Inn - Sussex St

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

JUst wondered if the North Pole pub on Sussex Street survived. James Sedgewick was listed as landlord in 1880.

JUst wondered if the North Pole pub on Sussex Street survived. James Sedgewick was listed as landlord in 1880.

Hi tsavo The building is still there but it has not been a pub for a long time it's a company who's name escapes me but i will find out and get back to you asap.

Guest tsavo

Thanks. Just thought as it was an unusual name, for Sheffield that is. I know there's at least one in London.

Thanks. Just thought as it was an unusual name, for Sheffield that is. I know there's at least one in London.

Hi tsavo

I have checked and its still there only i dont think it is in use at the moment and i can find no photos when it was in use as a pub but i have taken a photo today.

Guest salejackie

THanks a million, Syrup. It's done well to survive from the 1800s.

Just browsing through and noticed this. The firm that is in the pub now is called Truprint. They said that when they first moved in they could smell beer at certain times and had a resident ghost called Tom an old regular of the pub.

My great grandfather William Rutter was the licencee from about 1912 -1916. My dad was born there his mum and dad having no place to go as newlyweds in 1916. Several relatives lived there for quite a while. My great granddad was a carter and kept a lot of horses in stables there. There used to be two cottages attached according to 1881 census. There is a map in 1850's showing it as Parkside cottage with gardens going down to the river. I would love to find out more of its history. cheers Jackie

I've seen that building many times and didn't know of it's history - fascinating stuff

You can also get round the back by driving up the side street next to the sandwich shop a bit further down the road

It's been Offices for about 20 years now ... unless someone else knows differently. Always a sign of "getting home" from the frozen North by train, seeing that place.

James SEDGWICK Vict. North Pole PH Sussex Street Kelly's 1893

Harry SENIOR Vict. North Pole 62 Sussex Street White's 1911

Mrs Mary LAPIN Vict. North Pole 62 Sussex Street White's 1919

Samuel DRABBLE Vict. North Pole 62 Sussex Street Kelly's 1925

Guest salejackie

James SEDGWICK Vict. North Pole PH Sussex Street Kelly's 1893

Harry SENIOR Vict. North Pole 62 Sussex Street White's 1911

Mrs Mary LAPIN Vict. North Pole 62 Sussex Street White's 1919

Samuel DRABBLE Vict. North Pole 62 Sussex Street Kelly's 1925

That fits in nicely with my great granddad being in the pub from 1912 til at least 1916. He died aged 59 January 1919.

I did find him listed in a couple of the directories when I was last in Sheffield as being at 62 Sussex St. My quest has been to find out where my granddad continued to run the carting business as in the 1950's I visited these huge Dickensian stables where they had just 2 horses. I never knew where it was at the time and wonder if they were able to use stables at the pub to carry on the business or whether the stables were at the Midland Hotel - a family rumour not verified. Dont you wish you had asked questions when you were 10!! I remember a Mr and Mrs Senior living in the same court on Petre Street as my grandparents so could have been a connection there business-wise. Thanks again. I had another great grandparent running a pub called the Localfields on Attercliffe Road. One of my uncles was born there in 1933. Anyone ever heard of it?

I remember a Mr and Mrs Senior living in the same court on Petre Street as my grandparents so could have been a connection there business-wise. Thanks again.

I had another great grandparent running a pub called the Localfields on Attercliffe Road. One of my uncles was born there in 1933. Anyone ever heard of it?

Henry SENIOR Clerk 16 Petre Street Kelly's 1893

That could well be your Mr Senior.

However no sign of Localfields, I personally have never heard of it and I've looked at a few old pub names in my time. Will keep looking, there is/was a Local Terrace, Attercliffe Road and indeed a Pub :-

Mrs John APPLETON Local Terrace, Attercliffe Road White's 1849

Henry BRIDGES Shopkeeper and vict. Bay Horse Local Terrace White's 1852

bit early for your question though; pub might be worth chasing up.

Picture Sheffield - main list updated

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=c02102

Ill. from "East End History Trail" No 1.

"This elegant early 19th Century house predates the canal. Once it was known as Parkside Cottage, and had a garden running down to a broad mill pond adjoing the River Don"

I assume you have seen this thread

North Pole

"This elegant early 19th Century house predates the canal. Once it was known as Parkside Cottage, and had a garden running down to a broad mill pond adjoing the River Don"

Sounds idyllic...but by the 1850s the mill pond had become the (probably filthy) reservoir for the Park Iron Works with its blast furnaces spewing out smoke and ash night and day. Next door on one side were lime-kilns and a methane works, just across the canal at the back were the Sheffield Coke Ovens, - a little later came the railway and the huge Gas Works on the west side. 'Hell Hole' might have been a better name for this pub. lol

The house may originally have been associated in some way with the Smith Wheel/ Park Iron works. The pub is named on the 1903 survey as the North Pole Inn, but surely this was before the first successful overland expedition to the North Pole ?

The 1850s OS map shows its less than salubrious surroundings.

Guest tsavo

Salejackie asked me to post this for her. I'm assuming there was only one North Pole pub. If not please correct and add info. (27.03.2009)

salejackie

North Pole Inn, Yesterday, 11:14 PM

I have been trying to comment on the information about North Pole Inn but couldn't work out how to do it.

My great grandfather William Rutter was the licensee from 1912 to maybe 1918 as he died at a different address in 1919. My father was born in 1916 and lived there as a baby for a while with his grandparents and mum as grandad was fighting in the War. We have an old wooden stool that was supposed to have come from the bar there.

Thanks so much for posting the information

cheers Jackie

Guest salejackie

Picture Sheffield - main list updated

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=c02102

This is the pub where my great grandfather William Rutter lived from 1912 - to maybe 1918 as he died in 1919 at a different address. My father was born in 1916 and stayed with his grandparents and his mum whilst his dad was away in WW1. My great grandfather had a carting business with several horses and his 4 sons working with him.

Guest salejackie

....and I forgot to mention that this former pub has now been turned into a mosque complete with minarets etc. :blink:

Just caught up with this thread- can't believe this! I have been meaning to go back and look inside the pub after wrtiting to the owners of the printing company there and they invited me to go over- Just goes to show you need to do these things quickly after seeing so much of Sheffield disappear in demolition. Time has gone by so quickly. Has anyone got a photo of it as a mosque?

PM from Salejackie (record updated)

I looked up the North Pole Inn on the list and see you still have 1912 - 1918 without the landlord- my great grandfather William Rutter married to Ada Emma Wortley had a carting business running from here.

My dad born 1916 and his mum lived with them whilst my granddad was away in the war. William and Ada had 4 sons, William, Fred, Tom and John who worked in the carting bussness. John was killed in the war in 1918 and my gt granddad died in the january of 1919.

Tom William and Fred carried on the carting until the 1950's still using horses- I have always wanted to confirm where they had their stables. Went for a visit when I was about 8 and huge Dickensian stables with just 2 carthorses left. May have been stabled at the Midland. Would be good to find out if it was still the North Pole stables.