Lenny Lunch and the Sandwich Rappers

RichardB

You can imagine the size of the audience if you remember the Saddle, loved these guys, tremendous fun. Played a few gigs including The Revolution and the George IV opposite the Kelvin, plus a Wedding Reption in a Hall at Chapeltown.

Guest stevebeast

I was in this band. I remember playing the Saddle but can't remember where it was. Wrote a lot of the songs on the night shift at Sheffield Smelting. Happy days!

I was in this band. I remember playing the Saddle but can't remember where it was. Wrote a lot of the songs on the night shift at Sheffield Smelting. Happy days!

Hello and welcome stevebeast,

The Saddle, 94 West Street .. picturesheffield & link 02

Hello and Welcome Steve, did you write "The Flu Song" or "Hit the Deck" ?

Do you still own a bright yellow jacket ?

Flu Song

When I woke up this Morning

I couldn't feel a thing

I knew I couldn't go to work

So I gave the Boss a ring, I told him

I've got the Flu again

It's getting on my wick

I've got the Flu again

It makes me bl**dy sick

More heavily censored than it shows - pure fun; played in a variety of styles, rock, blues, swing; you could never tell what song it was until the "singing" started.

I'm determined to find at least one recording on cassette; can't do anything with it (anyone help ) even if only to produce a Set List.

Take That, Led Zeppelin, Spandau Ballet, ABC/Human League, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Lenny Lunch with SteveBeast - could be another £20 million comeback lol

Guest stevebeast

Hi Richard - Just been chatting to our drummer Andy and we both remember you very well - our no1 fan! You were a great guy and gave us loads of support. Can't chat much at the minute as my dad has just died, but will catch up properly a bit later. I seem to remember I am the culprit for writing such questionable masterpieces such as "Flu Song", "Van Drivers Blues", "Massage Girl","Rep Song", "Looney Song" and of course, that romantic love lyric "You're so Bloody Ugly"! There are probably more but I can't remember them at the minute. Will dredge up more memories from my alcohol addled brain in due course........

Hi Richard - Just been chatting to our drummer Andy and we both remember you very well - our no1 fan! You were a great guy and gave us loads of support. Can't chat much at the minute as my dad has just died, but will catch up properly a bit later. I seem to remember I am the culprit for writing such questionable masterpieces such as "Flu Song", "Van Drivers Blues", "Massage Girl","Rep Song", "Looney Song" and of course, that romantic love lyric "You're so Bloody Ugly"! There are probably more but I can't remember them at the minute. Will dredge up more memories from my alcohol addled brain in due course........

So sorry to hear, God Bless your Father ... when the time is right, we will speak again.

Andy Selman (guitar) claims to have a guitar built entirely from discarded matches used to light Elvis Presley's cigars. Andy was the drummer in Sheffield bands Eclipse, Lenny Lunch and the Sandwich Rappers and Bay of Pigs . He changed over to guitar three years ago but the legacy means his playing is based very much on the rhythm of songs. His favourite guitar is his beloved American Fender Telecaster. He edited the Sheffield Wednesday fanzine War of the Monster Trucks for five years with his dog Sir Stanley Headifire.

Redback (apparently)

Guest stevebeast

Andy was also in "Small Change". We played one gig at Birdwell club hosted by Charlie Williams. We played Take 5 (Brubeck/Desmond) Summertime (Gershwin) and an anonymous Irish jig. The crowd weren't quite sure but were very kind. Lenny Lunch came later. Tim on vocals, me and Mike on guitar, Richard on Bass and Andy on drums. Reckon it might be time to record a definitive version of the Flu Song 33 years on.

Well I woke up this morning and my head was spinning round.

I tried to eat my breakfast but I couldn't keep it down.

My tongue was green and furry and I couldn't taste a thing.

And I knew I couldn't go to work so I gave the boss a ring.

(and I said)

I've got the flu again, it's getting on my wick

I've got the flu again it makes me f****** sick

I listened to the radio but there was nothing on it

Then I went back up to bed but all I did was vomit

I put a peg upon my nose to try and stop me sneezing

But the bugger just blew off and now I'm b******* freezing

(etc)

(Lord Byron eat yer heart out)

Ta, brings back many memories. Enjoyed it all. Any photos ? Could have developed into the Moody Blues given enough time ...

Andy was also in "Small Change". We played one gig at Birdwell club hosted by Charlie Williams. We played Take 5 (Brubeck/Desmond) Summertime (Gershwin) and an anonymous Irish jig. The crowd weren't quite sure but were very kind. Lenny Lunch came later. Tim on vocals, me and Mike on guitar, Richard on Bass and Andy on drums. Reckon it might be time to record a definitive version of the Flu Song 33 years on.

Well I woke up this morning and my head was spinning round.

I tried to eat my breakfast but I couldn't keep it down.

My tongue was green and furry and I couldn't taste a thing.

And I knew I couldn't go to work so I gave the boss a ring.

(and I said)

I've got the flu again, it's getting on my wick

I've got the flu again it makes me f****** sick

I listened to the radio but there was nothing on it

Then I went back up to bed but all I did was vomit

I put a peg upon my nose to try and stop me sneezing

But the bugger just blew off and now I'm b******* freezing

(etc)

(Lord Byron eat yer heart out)