Sheffield Coal Mines

dunsbyowl1867

Came across this list on this site : http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...0.htm#YORKSHIRE

Not sure if it has been posted before. My Great Grandad worked at the Brightside pit which he walked into rather than travelling down a shaft - and interesting see no 40 Benjamin Huntsman is down as a mine owner- I assume it is the same one?

1 Aston Main, Sheffield, W. H. Stone.

2 Alumnia, Sheffield, Brooke and Son.

3 Beighton, Sheffield, Skinner and Holford.

4 Birkin, Sheffield, Jos. Bramall and Sons.

5 Bracken Moor, Sheffield, Executors of Jas. Grayson.

6 Brightside, Sheffield, John Denton and Co.

7 Bromley Main, Sheffield, Bromley Silkstone Coal Co.

8 Busk Flat, Sheffield, J. Helliwell.

9 Chapeltown, Sheffield, Newton, Chambers, and Co.

10 Clay Works, Sheffield, C. S. and H. W. Tinker.

11 Clough, Sheffield, Jas. Grayson.

12 Clough, Sheffield, John Gregory.

13 Deepcar, Sheffield, John Armitage and Son.

14 Deepcar, Sheffield, John Grayson, Lowood, and Co.

15 Dungworth, Sheffield, Haigh and Co.

16 Ecclesfield, Sheffield, Haigh and Co.

17 Gleadles, Sheffield, Thos. Ward.

18 Gateshead, Sheffield, Hepworth Fire-Clay Works.

19 Grimesthorpe, Sheffield, John Denton and Co.

20 Hall Park, Sheffield, Charles Marsden.

21 Henholmes(Deepcar), Sheffield, John Armitage and Son.

22 Holly Bush, Sheffield, Joseph Hattersley.

23 Hurlford, Sheffield, John Gregory and Son.

24 Kiveton Park, Sheffield, Kiveton Park Coal Co.

25 Low Ash, Sheffield, Geo. Siddon.

26 Lower Wincobank, Sheffield, J. Johnson.

27 Lowood Wharncliffe, Sheffield, Grayson, Lowood, and Co.

28 Loxey, Sheffield, T. Wragg.

29 Malin Bridge, Sheffield, Grsyson, Lowood, and Co.

30 Manor, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

31 Meadow Fire Clay, Sheffield, T. W. Roome.

32 Meadow Hall, Sheffield, Mark Davy.

33 Myers Lane, Sheffield, George Longden and Son.

34 New Winning, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

35 North Staveley, Sheffield, Staveley Coal and Iron Co., Limited.

36 Nunnery, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

37 Orgreave, Sheffield, Rother Vale Collieries Limited.

38 Potter Hill, Sheffield, H. Law.

39 Shaw House, Sheffield, Benjamin Jackson.

40 Sheffield, Sheffield, Benjamin Huntsman.

41 Stannington Wood, Sheffield, Nichols and Jackson.

42 Starr's Bridge, Sheffield, Marshall and Crapper.

43 Spink Hall, Sheffield, Mrs. Grayson.

44 Spring Wood (Ecclesfield), Sheffield, John Mallison.

45 Stannington, Sheffield, Grayson, Lowood and Co.

46 Stocksbridge (Deepear), Sheffield, Samuel Fox aud Co., Limited.

47 St. Davids (Oughtibridge), Sheffield, Russell and Co.

48 Tankersley, Sheffield, Newton, Chambers, and Co.

49 Thorncliffe,Sheffield, Newton, Chambers, and Co.

50 Unstone Main, Sheffield, Unstone Coal and Coke Co.

51 Unstone, Sheffield, Houdall Coal Co.

52 Vernon Silkstone, Sheffield, Edward Swift.

53 Wharncliffe (Oughtibridge), Sheffield, J. Beaumont.

54 Wharncliffe Wood, Sheffield, Silica Fire Brick Co.

55 Wood, Sheffield, C. S. and H. W. Tinker.

55 Woodthorpe, Sheffield, Nunnery Colliery Co.

57 Wortley Silkstone, Sheffield, Thomas Andrews and Co.

What happened to these old mines? Whereabouts was the Brightside pit?

All the tunnels & shafts are probably still there ! When my sister bought a house in Pitsmoor the survey referred to the possibility of subsidence from mineworkings.

I understand the Brightside pit was where the town gas plant ? was on Holywell Road.

All the tunnels & shafts are probably still there ! When my sister bought a house in Pitsmoor the survey referred to the possibility of subsidence from mineworkings.

I understand the Brightside pit was where the twon gas plant ? was on Holywell Road.

Oh right that makes sense cos there's a Pit Lane near there. Always assumed they'd be Pits in Pitsmoor obvioulsy cos of the name. My 3xGreat Grandad was a clay/coal miner lived in Attercliffe, guess it was used for the steelworks

Guest wadsley park owl

When I left school in 1974, I worked at Brookhouse pit for 4 years, which isn't mentioned on this list. It may have been confused with Beighton, but as I understand it Brookhouse was a totally different pit, it was situated between Beighton and Swallownest, and is now under the Rother Valley Country Park.

In the list above...are they all Coal mines?

I know that around Sheffield there was quite a few 'Gannister' mines. This was some sort of clay used to make bricks for kilns.

If you go to Archer Road and turn up towards Hutcliffe Wood Cemetery there is a random section of wall on the left hand side......this is all that remains of the Gannister mine that was there.

Oh right that makes sense cos there's a Pit Lane near there. Always assumed they'd be Pits in Pitsmoor obvioulsy cos of the name. My 3xGreat Grandad was a clay/coal miner lived in Attercliffe, guess it was used for the steelworks

I have a map of Sheffield 1835.It shows Pitsmoor Colliery and Occupation Colliery just off Occupation Rd which looks like it is now Petre St.

I know that around Sheffield there was quite a few 'Gannister' mines. This was some sort of clay used to make bricks for kilns.

If you go to Archer Road and turn up towards Hutcliffe Wood Cemetery there is a random section of wall on the left hand side......this is all that remains of the Gannister mine that was there.

On the gannister production side (rather than merchants), there seems to be a bias towards Malin Bridge, Stannington and especially Deepcar and Oughtibridge. Bramall family at Oughtibridge.

I have a map of Sheffield 1835.It shows Pitsmoor Colliery and Occupation Colliery just off Occupation Rd which looks like it is now Petre St.

I seen those on a map of 1855. Occupation Road seems to run right from the Wicker Arches which is odd as you'd think Spital Hill would be a much older name. Any ideas where "Occupation" came from? and "Petre" for that matter?

I seen those on a map of 1855. Occupation Road seems to run right from the Wicker Arches which is odd as you'd think Spital Hill would be a much older name. Any ideas where "Occupation" came from? and "Petre" for that matter?

Looking at an more recent map - those pits would seem to be just off Grimesthorpe Road not Petre Street.

The web site states it is a list of collieries - so?

Came across this in a guide of 1910 - a little more info on "Gannister".

I went to Grimesthorpe Junior school in the early 1950's and remember that on the way home we used to play around what appeared to be a small old open cast mine which was just off Earl Marshall Rd about 100 yards or so north of the school.

Maybe some of the mines were just small open cast ones that were worked for a few years then closed.

John

I went to Grimesthorpe Junior school in the early 1950's and remember that on the way home we used to play around what appeared to be a small old open cast mine which was just off Earl Marshall Rd about 100 yards or so north of the school.

Maybe some of the mines were just small open cast ones that were worked for a few years then closed.

John

Anywhere on here John?

Thanks for that Dunsbyowl.

What we saw could not have been the colliery which your map shows to be in the area which is now Dunmow Rd and the bottom of Popple St and Robey St ( only a short distance from where I was born on Hinde House Lane) .

Its a really interesting map as it shows a tramway going up the back side of Wincobank hill.

I think some of what was the colliery area is now a Council Depot ( or was when I lived in Sheffield 30 years ago) !

At present I am transcribing Grimesthorpe School admission records from the early 1920's for Sheffield Indexers so the road names are very familier !

John

Guest Sazzle

~Hello! lol

I wondering if anyone can help me, I am new to this forum and have been recomended by a relative that you are the font of all knowledge when it comes to Sheffield. (sucking up over!)

I have found out that my Great Grandfather worked at Tinsley Park Colliery, on the surface and had an accident there, he was apparently hit by a train, in the September quarter of 1936, his name was Henry Mellor.

I am down in Leicestershire, does anyone have any record of this,or knows where records of this nature will be kept.

Thank you

Saz

Guest Sazzle

~Hello! lol

I wondering if anyone can help me, I am new to this forum and have been recomended by a relative that you are the font of all knowledge when it comes to Sheffield. (sucking up over!)

I have found out that my Great Grandfather worked at Tinsley Park Colliery, on the surface and had an accident there, he was apparently hit by a train, in the September quarter of 1936, his name was Henry Mellor.

I am down in Leicestershire, does anyone have any record of this,or knows where records of this nature will be kept.

Thank you

Saz

Been in delving more and eventually found a topic on mining accidents and been on the coalmining history resource centre, exellent site, answered my question!

When I left school in 1974, I worked at Brookhouse pit for 4 years, which isn't mentioned on this list. It may have been confused with Beighton, but as I understand it Brookhouse was a totally different pit, it was situated between Beighton and Swallownest, and is now under the Rother Valley Country Park.

As a child in the 50's what we knew as Beighton Pit was on Stone lane at Woodhouse not far from Beighton Tip. Wether we just miss-named it or not I don't know. A little further back towards Coisley hill was a small sewage works which doesn't seem be there now according to the satalite map.

google

As a child in the 50's what we knew as Beighton Pit was on Stone lane at Woodhouse not far from Beighton Tip. Wether we just miss-named it or not I don't know. A little further back towards Coisley hill was a small sewage works which doesn't seem be there now according to the satalite map.

google

Vox

I think the pit you refer to was Birly East, long since gone with the landscaping between the Mosboro link rd and Woodhouse

Vox

I think the pit you refer to was Birly East, long since gone with the landscaping between the Mosboro link rd and Woodhouse

Early 60's view down towards Hackenthorpe and Birley East Pit

Been in delving more and eventually found a topic on mining accidents and been on the coalmining history resource centre, exellent site, answered my question!

Hiya Sazzle and Welcome to SheffieldHistory.

We'd appreciate details of your findings (if you can share) and a link to the Sites you found; that way we all get a bit more knowledge.

Personally, my heart dropped when I saw 1936, I'm not that old (honest), but I'm rubbish on anything after 1900 !

Early 60's view down towards Hackenthorpe and Birley East Pit

Where did you get this picture Stuart? and is it early sixties or early seventies?

It almost looks as though you could have taken it yourself from an upstairs window in your mothers house on Hackenthorpe.

Where did you get this picture Stuart? and is it early sixties or early seventies?

It almost looks as though you could have taken it yourself from an upstairs window in your mothers house on Hackenthorpe.

Yes, welcome to the site sazzle

I have my sources :) , it is looking towards Hackenthorpe, just about make out my house, though not til about 10 years later.

Anyway, for coal mines info see this site that Sazzle mentioned

http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/home/

Yes, welcome to the site sazzle

I have my sources :) , it is looking towards Hackenthorpe, just about make out my house, though not til about 10 years later.

Ah - so you lived (as we would have said) "Down Rainbow".

I lived on Cotleigh Rd from '54 'till '68

Just over the hill in the photo was, and still is, the "Fishing Pond".

Off to the right was "The Bubble Bath"

Were they still so called in your time?

Someone will know better I'm sure, but there were still people working at the Birley East site in my time. Was it still open or was something else going on just working in the old surface buildings.

Walking up the steep steps on the slag heap, towards Woodhouse, took us through the surface buildings. Even though it was a public footpath, as 8 or 9 year olds, we always felt a bit "naughty" as if we shouldn't be there, and so hurried through to regain the footpath up the field to Woodhouse.

Ah - so you lived (as we would have said) "Down Rainbow".

I lived on Cotleigh Rd from '54 'till '68

Just over the hill in the photo was, and still is, the "Fishing Pond".

Off to the right was "The Bubble Bath"

Were they still so called in your time?

Someone will know better I'm sure, but there were still people working at the Birley East site in my time. Was it still open or was something else going on just working in the old surface buildings.

Walking up the steep steps on the slag heap, towards Woodhouse, took us through the surface buildings. Even though it was a public footpath, as 8 or 9 year olds, we always felt a bit "naughty" as if we shouldn't be there, and so hurried through to regain the footpath up the field to Woodhouse.

Yes we moved into Rainbow Grove in 1970.

The pit was a training centre for sometime after it stopped mining, will have to delve a bit deeper. There were still some of the pit buildings there in the early 70's, just wished I had had the foresight to take some photo's.

I remember the fishing pond, and the mucky polluted Shirebrook, but the "Bubble Bath" is a new one to me.