Loxley Brothers

RichardB

I am a student from Ireland writing my thesis on printing techniques from Loxely (Loxley - RichardB)) Brothers printers in Sheffield.

I was wondering if anyone would have any information, that would be of use to me, pictures or stories anything would be great....

Thank You

Evie Lynch

(New thread started from Hollis Hospital link - RichardB)

John William Hyde, Manufacturing Stationer (Loxley Bros Ltd) house, 58 Upper Albert Road, Meersbrook (White's 1911)

Frederic Arthur Siddall, Printer (Loxley Bros. Ltd.) h. 61 Brook Road, Meersbrook (White's 1919)

John William Hyde, Printer (Loxley Bros. Ltd.) house 164 Meadow Head, Chesterfield Road (White's 1919)

Frank Arthur Camm, Printer (Loxley Brothers Ltd.) house Barnfield, Hathersage (White's 1919)

John William Hyde, Director (Loxley Bros Ltd) house 164 Meadow Head, Chesterfield Rd. (Kelly's 1925)

I worked there a few months during the time of Diana Spencer's death. They were at that point only making Greetings Cards etc, for Marks And Spencer. They had some MASSIVE offset litho 4 colour printing machines. These were extremely noisy. Working conditions were very bad. They couldn't keep staff. People worked shifts from 6 am to 3pm. They were allowed a ten to 15 minute meal break and that's all. And in a paper factory, were bits of paper were getting cut up all the time, the Management would not spend cash on a basic shovel! They were like gold dust there!  That old building above the roof would leak a lot! Bad news in a factory that has paper in it.