Pond Street Bus Station

Sheffield History

There used to be a row of shops as you turned right from the footbridge. From memory there was a chip shop, a sandwich/bakery (Cooplands?), a newsagent and a Presto . The Presto  was where I first saw water in bottles,.... being sold. I was amazed, it comes out of the tap free, no-one will be daft enough to buy that.

The canteen at Presto was underneath the shop and the stockroom behind (in the car park really) Any photos ?

Here are some photos of the shops on the Flat Street (Levels)

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23933&pos=78&action=zoom&id=26386

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t08596&pos=11&action=zoom&id=124682

I remember the arcade, the bakery, Minerva and the Fads DIY store... Presto must be out of shot?

3BECF470-8C55-425C-881D-1893E8AFEE33.jpeg

A01493B7-8B7A-4857-BCFE-84E09286B889.jpeg

1 hour ago, RLongden said:

Here is are some photos of the shops on the Flat Street (Levels)

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23933&pos=78&action=zoom&id=26386

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t08596&pos=11&action=zoom&id=124682

I remember the arcade, the bakery, Minerva and the Fads DIY store... Presto must be out of shot?

3BECF470-8C55-425C-881D-1893E8AFEE33.jpeg

A01493B7-8B7A-4857-BCFE-84E09286B889.jpeg

My sister worked in the Bakery in the 70s

Thanks RLongden. Yes , the photographer must have been stood outside the Presto entrance. I remember Fads and the amusements now.  Right about the chip shop and the Bakery (although not Cooplands). I'm sure there was a newsagents. Was the Minerva a cafe ? think it was.

On 31/05/2020 at 00:23, Sheffield History said:

CA9D723A-5B31-4B14-84BF-135FE01F2CB4.jpeg

I love this photo.  Used to catch the bus to Hillsborough in the 60's/70's from here to the match. Think it was the 53 Parson Cross. Long journey in those days, Tibshelf bus to Chesterfield, train to Sheffield, bus to Hillsborough.

I suppose most of us has had wishful thinking come over us at one time or another, my thoughts have been that I wish I had an interest in the history of Sheffield, I would most certainly have took many photos of the streets, buildings and people that made Sheffield what it was, I remember walking up the steps from Pond Street up to Arundel Street, resting at the top and seeing the Park district spread before me, sadly the view cannot be seen now, terrible designed buildings has taken that joy away.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2008 at 21:52, Hjdary said:

I'm sure I saw that BridgeMaster in a magazine a few years back...bought and preserved by a young lad from Hallifax.

It's the unique (to STD) Bridgemaster 525 with the passenger entrance/exit at the front end with doors, unlike the other few Bridgemasters with open rear platforms. At the time of writing, I'm trying to find out where she is today as the Hallifax owner, who did weddings and private hires with it, went bust. If anyone has any info. please pas on. Thanks.

image.png.724b4edef027a6011a096b617298d121.png

image.png.23b14428e75b6724657103a7f4fb036d.png

My son, 35, has developed a really big interest in the history of the Pond Street area of Sheffield as it used to be and the various changes made. For me, it brings back a lot of memories. There is nothing wrong with nostalgia. My brother got knocked down in the autumn of 1963 where the bus is at Platform B. Luckily, the bus that hit him only caused a bit of bruising to his leg. He was 8 at the time. His own fault. We were on our way to catch the 31 to school and he ran out into the path of an oncoming bus which luckily was only moving very slowly of course instead of waiting for me.

Sadly I think that the council has Pond Street or some other developers have their eye on this prime piece of land for flats, offices, university buildings etc, I've noticed bus routes have been diverted away from Pond Street, when I was a child getting off the bus in Pond Street was the start of an adventure going to the fish Market  for a couple of stones of mussels, a plate of cockles, the crowds of shoppers that went to the old Market Hall and on the destruction of this brilliant market transferred their allegiance to the Castle Market and they were saddened to learn the Castle Market was due for demolition and building a new one near Moorfoot, nobody liked the idea of moving their market from its home of getting on for two hundred years, even though I'm getting on I cannot summon up any kind of excitement I had when I was a child going to the markets, gone are the usual stall holders only to be replaced by people who have never experienced the nostalgia I and others have for our markets and Pond Street where many couples met, fell in love and subsequently married, it's all gone, why?

On 02/01/2008 at 23:12, Guest transit said:

Hi Stuart - great pics- pic 1 ,shows bus entering the station as they all did via Harmer Lane BEFORE any sign of the building work of the forthcoming Sheaf Valley Baths to the left -which was opaened in 1972 -so i presume around 1970.PIC 2 - L REG bus which was registered AUG 73 - and does"nt look new 1 so i"ll guess around 75. pIC 3 /4 are buses which were new around 59/60 but worked approx 12/15 years before withdrawal so again the pics would probably be early /mid 70"s. The bus behind the one in pic 2 was the one for route 71 which served the whole of the NEW Norfolfk Park estate ,right up to Manor Top and down Prince ect, which was the first bus in front of the "carousel kiosk"(newsagents) and directly opposite the petrol station under Cinecentre!

Good to see a Gleadless bus.II caught one from that stand many a time on my way home from King Ted's though I don't think it was a 105. There were three routes serving Gleadless{ 101, 102 and 105, but I don't think the 105 went down Gleadless Common, where I got off to walk to my house on Gleadless Avenue. But it's a long time ago and Imay have remembered wrongly.