Victoria Market - Glossop Road

Sheffield History

Spotted this today

I don't know anything about the place yet so you'll probably all think it strange as I'm sure it's quite well known

It's the 'Victoria Market' on Glossop Road opposite the old swimming baths. I have read about this place before but can't remember for the life of me what it was so I'll have to read up on it again..

Anyway - above the shop you can clearly see the Victoria Market marker stone..

Apart from breaking the record for the longest time elapsed between first and second posts(!), I am interested in the various 'Market' signs around the city. There are two opposite each other at the start of Glossop Rd, the example here and 'Glossop Road Market' on the other side of the road. I assume these were indoor markets in Victorian and Edwardian times. One in Darnall has '1904' on it, one in Nether Edge is well maintained by the neighbourhood group, and one on Crookes Rd (opposite Duncan Rd) simply says 'The Market'.

Any info or stories? Cheers :)

Page Hall Market 1905 - sign above the shops on Page Hall Road near where it joins Firth Park Road. PM me and I will email you a copy.  There is one at Fir Vale too which sadly is now partly obscured

Lyn

3 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

Page Hall Market 1905 - sign above the shops on Page Hall Road near where it joins Firth Park Road. PM me and I will email you a copy.  There is one at Fir Vale too which sadly is now partly obscured

Lyn

Thanks Lyn,

I will look on street view. They are all over the city and I am currently writing a short book about Sheffield's historic signs which remain on our streets.

Many thanks!

Weren't these Victorian/Edwardian Markets little more than retail outlets using the name "market" as a "marketing" device.?