What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

Guest heavenmbmaa

I'm looking for an anthony higgins... I'm not sure what Sheffield school he went too but he was in shekel day least until he was 16 as he was in supported accommodation most of his life..

He was born in February 1965 and was placed in care at about 3 years old.. His birth name was anthony Paul lakin.. Please can anyone remember him xxxx

Guest HRHartley

I went to Beighton Infants 1985 to 1989, Reignhead from 1989 to 1991, and Westfield School 1991 to 1996. Beighton Infants is still there and still a grand old building. For life of me cant remember the head teachers name but she was a proper old bird back then! Westfield is now no more on the site I went to, just old foundations. Moved to beighton/sothall now!

Pye Bank from around 1954 I was born 1949. then Burngreave "High school". (I call it "High School" because it's on top of a hill, lol)

I suffered, I mean attended  De La Salle College, Scott Rd. in Pitsmoor from 1956 to 1961. Well I could write a book on my experiences at this catholic grammar school(long gone). However, I will not , suffice to say I entered the institution a devout catholic and exited an atheist, which I still am.

hi i went to newfield school in 1968.gill webster any body out there that was in mr. tingles form

On 22/05/2016 at 05:16, TORONTONY said:

I suffered, I mean attended  De La Salle College, Scott Rd. in Pitsmoor from 1956 to 1961. Well I could write a book on my experiences at this catholic grammar school(long gone). However, I will not , suffice to say I entered the institution a devout catholic and exited an atheist, which I still am.

You will remember Brother Wilfred then!  Alias "The smiling executioner"  W/E.

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎13 at 16:02, Waterside Echo said:

You will remember Brother Wilfred then!  Alias "The smiling executioner"  W/E.

I could never forget that moron. If you check out the late pages of a De La Salle thread on the History and Ex pats board at Sheffield Forum, you will see a few posts of mine, one particular story relates to him  how you described.  I basically called him what you did , or words to that effect .  lol

I went to Abbey Lane Primary School which I see from Google is still there, then went to Greenhill Junior school where I failed my eleven plus and got shunted to what was then a brand new school called Jordanthorpe Sec School,. Mr Adams was the headmaster back then, I also remember Mr Walker, Miss Beech and Mr Bennett also Mr Hustings,  I think he said he had steel plate in his head. This would have been 1958 I think.

I see from Google that the school has been knocked down and replaced with some snazzy building what is it anybody know?

Hunters Bar Infant school from 1961-65, I remember my first teacher was Mrs. Pashley, there was also Miss Brown

Hunters Bar Junior school from 1965 to 69. I remember Mrs. Thorald and Mr. Holmes, wish I could remember the others.

Failed the eleven plus and went to Silverdale 1969 to 73. I remember Mrs Turvey (maths), Mrs Jenkinson (?), Mr, Shooter was deputy head, Mr. Biggins was head, Mr. Welsh (?), Mr. Tocker (geography), Mr. Hutchinson (games - ugh!), Mr Atkinson (chemistry), Mrs Brammer (biology), Mr. Lyons (physics), Mrs. Wigmore (art), Mr. Horn (English?), Mr. Firth (French), Mr. Wasnidge (music) and Mr. Peckett (metal work).

Can anyone fill in other names of teachers around this time?

Nigel L

On 1/19/2008 at 09:42, Sheffield History said:

What school did you go to ? All Saint's Lyons Street/Sutherland Rd.

What year did you leave ?1951

What changes have there been to your school since you left ? The school along with the church has been demolished around mid 1970's. Until 1950 it was an infant/junior/senior school, then in 1950 all senior students from age 11 to 14 were transferred to Burngreave Secondary Modern. The headmaster from around 1935 to around 1956 was H.E. Hall, other teachers in late 40's were Miss I.Ingram, Mr. A.S.Shaddock, Mr. A.Schofield, Mr. S.C.Breckan and Mr. Smith. All these were in the boys section. In the girls and infants sections the teachers were M.Wildgoose, M. Meekin, D. Bullas, S. Major, B.A. Thornhill. J.M. Wheeler, E.M. Sails, and A. Davey.

I went to Bradway Village Infant School 1958 to 1961

Greenhill County Junior School 1961 to 1965

and High Storrs Grammar School for Boys 1965 to 1971 (became High Storrs School and merged with the girls' school in 1969)

My form teachers at High Storrs were Mr Presgrave, Mr Mann, Mr Hanson (for 2 years), Miss Russell and Mr Tickner.

On 18/01/2008 at 23:12, Sheffield History said:

What school did you go to ? I WENT TO UPPERTHORPE SCHOOL HEADMASTER Mr CAWSEY I LEFT IN 1961 ANYBODY REMEMBER UPPERTHORPE OR SOME OF THOSE THAT WERE THERE AT THE SAME TIME LIKE JOHN TOWLER , ROBERT STOKES , JAMES FERGUSON I HAVE SOME GOOD MEMORIES OF UPPERTHORPE. THE BIGGEST CHANGE IS THAT UPPERTHORPE SCHOOL NO LONGER EXISTS IT IS NOW LUXURY FLATS IN PLACE AND THE HOUSES IN HAROLD STREET WHERE I USED TO LIVE HAS ALSO GONE, BUT I STILL HAVE MY MEMORIES, ALL THE BEST FROM GARY

What year did you leave ?

What changes have there been to your school since you left ?

My place of learning was Meynell Road Secondary Modern, noted for its prowess in cricket, and sport in general. Thoroughly enjoyed my four years. I would do it all over again.

On 1/18/2008 at 23:12, Sheffield History said:

What school did you go to ? High Storrs Grammar School

What year did you leave ? 1953. Through a now defunct website (Friends Reunited) we found about 20 of the original 32 of Form 5B, 1953. Inevitably, fifty years after the event, some had not survived but Terry Smith had the drive and gumption to organise a reunion. We have met since with the addition of some old faces that were not found in the first wave of research and with the loss of some re-found friends overtaken by the reaper of time. The survivors are now in their early eighties. We are all grateful for the start in life that HSGS bestowed upon us. The picture is of the teaching and administrative staff in 1953 led by the redoubtable Headmaster, George Mack.

What changes have there been to your school since you left ? Lots of original features remain but the additions (Sports Hall, classroom facilities, drama spaces) are marvellous.

High Storrs Staff A.jpg

On 25/10/2008 at 16:48, DaveH said:

I also did 2 years 6th form at Ashleigh school 1972 - 74. This school also is no more.

The school consisted of 2 buildings,

The lower school was on Hurlfield Road and had previously been Hurlfield Girls school until it became comprehensive and combined to form Ashleigh in 1969

The upper school was on Gleadless Road and had been purpose built in 1960 as the Central Technical School to replace the older C.T.S. which had been on Leopold Street (much more central than Gleadless!) and became the Education Offices. This was a grammar school from 1961 to 1969 when it became comprehensive and formed the other half of Ashleigh.

Old students well remember having to walk across either a muddy field, or a longer footpath route past some smelly pig styes to get between the 2 Ashleigh building, but being there only for 6th form I only ever used the Gleadless Road site.

The lower school (Hurlfield Girls) was closed and demolished in about 1987, and is now a small private housing development. The upper school (Central Technical) carried on for some years but by 2004 it also seems to have suffered the same fate and is now houses. Strange how houses have only been built on the site of the actual school buildings. those large school field between the 2 schools which go all the way back to Gleadless Common are still there, surely this bigger area of land would have been ideal for housing.

I had the misfortune of attending CTS just after it's relocation from Leopold Street. To say that I hated the place is an understatement. I tolerated it for two years until being able to leave (at fifteen) without any qualifications. This is how good the school was: I went during the autumn term to see the headmaster, Peter Dixon, and asked to be given dispensation to leave at the then statutory fifteen years minimum (the school's policy being leaving at sixteen after O-Levels). I was, at the time, bottom in my class. Dixon said that if I could get into the top half of the class by Easter he'd approve my request. So, at Easter I marched triumphantly into his office and told him I was now tenth in a class of about thirty, whereupon he approved my request and three months later I was out. My form teacher ('Spike' Milligan) was incredulous at this total lack of logic on Dixon's part, and to his credit did his best to persuade me to stay. Sad to say I didn't listen. I say sad only because many years later I resumed my education and ultimately became a teacher, and I'm currently doing a PhD, despite being in my sixties. I'm sad at the opportunities that I have undoubtedly missed through Dixon's short-sightedness, though he wasn't the only one out of a bunch (Spike and one or two others excepted) of seriously bad teachers.

The epilogue is that I recently visited Sheffield and stayed at the Leopold Hotel, which is in what used to be the original CTS building. It is a very nice hotel, the walls of which are festooned with old school photographs from the fifties and sixties. It nearly blew my mind seeing images of those very same so-called teachers staring back at me. Fascinating and simultaneously frightening.

Ecclesfield school  (was previously Grammar then Comprehensive ) left 1971. School still exists and doing well I believe. 

I went to Waltheof on the Manor in 1966 and left in 1970. Prior to that I was at Whitby Road Infants and Juniors in Darnall. Happy days. Young, healthy, single and debt free

I attended Saint Catherine,s Roman Catholic School Burngreave circa 1948 to 1955. we were also taught by the Nuns from the Order Sisters of Mary.

I believe the School is still standing....

On 21/01/2008 at 11:48, carlie167 said:

Went to St Maries on the corner of Edmund Rd ( I think thats where it was), Its been demolished these many years now though. I wonder if any one else remembers it. The headmistress was a nun, Sister Mary Dennis, and there were several other nuns who taught there as well. I wonder if anyone has any pictures (crosses fingers). Well I can always hope!! :):)

I went to St Maries School 1960 - 1966 and remember Sister Mary Dennis she ruled with a rod of iron, there was a teacher called Mrs Rennick who's daughter attended the school. We used to put on a yearly performance and I remember Monsignor Din attending and also remember us all getting the day off for his funeral a big affair in Sheffield City Centre