Tram Locations

Stuart0742

...ok , another clue is - the Rotherham tram, behind ,operated the 69 route between Sheffield and Rotherham , so would run along Wicker, Attercliffe , Tinsley areas !

Also of some interest is the actual Sheffield tram featured - 501 - which was the first of the new style "Roberts" cars (also called "jubilee" cars , as they were new in 1952 - the Queens jubilee year) Looks like it is on some sort of "enthusiast tour"(maybe new?) Although they seemed really modern at the time , they only lasted around 8 years before they were scrapped due to the abolition of the Sheffield tramway network in Oct 1960. As a comparrison , the Supertram is around 15 years old !

Car 501 was known as the Jubilee car as it was built in 1946, the Golden Jubilee of the Corporation taking over the tramways in Sheffield.

The Queen did not have a jubilee in 1952: it was the year of her accession, and all but three of the production batch of "Roberts" cars were in service before 1952.

On 27/10/2009 at 6:03 PM, SteveHB said:

I dont't know where this tram shot was taken?

post-188-1256666538_thumb.jpg

Although we had a couple of looks at this one and I suggested Attercliffe Road at the junction with Lovell Street and Royds Mill Street i did not have any evidence to back up my thinking.

Having been browsing Picture Sheffield in connection with the ***** Garage topic I came across this image. I think the building just in front of the petrol station sign (is that GULF?) are the ones to the left of the tram in the mystery shot. The disposition of the wall alongside Attercliffe Road and the windows in the roof of the building in the far distance seem to correspond as well.

\I flicked back and forth from one snap to the other and couldn't equate the two buildings in the left foreground - similar, but configuration of upstairs windows, for example, different...until I realised that the SECOND building in your newly posted picture was the first building in the one displayed above. So yes, I reckon you are correct.

On 03/10/2013 at 20:26, madannie77 said:

Long time since I've posted anything in this topic, but this one has me stumped.

Any ideas?

SCT30where.jpg

I think I have got this one at last :o.

I am fairly sure that the two houses on the right are 14 and 16 Sheffield Road, part of a block of 4 houses between the Burns Hotel and the works beyond, more or less opposite Tinsley Tram Depot. In 1925 14 Sheffield Road was a newsagent, and it looks like one here as well. I am surprised that despite the proximity to Weedon Street and Tinsley Depot I can only find one picture which seems to confirm my thoughts which is on the Tramway Museum website: http://ntm.adlibhosting.com/detail.aspx?parentpriref=#

On 11/01/2009 at 20:19, plain talker said:

I'm inclined to agree that it's somewhere near Hillsboro football ground, (I'm thinking Leppings lane perhaps?) because of the Shirecliffe "skyline" in the background. (My cousin lived on Penrith Road, backing onto the tip)

Edit to add (although on a second look, the very right of the pic does look suspiciously like the wall of Hillsboro Park)

Definitely the Sheffield Wednesday siding in Parkside Road, the only location with the three wire overhead, and a coplicated set of trolley reversers, out of shot here.

This thread keeps popping up with more information from older members so after looking for pictures of the old Rotherham  'single-ended' cars have located two, one from 1947 and the other when buses took over in 1949.. Apologies for the poor quality of the scans; a third picture shows tracklesses. Used to have some interesting visits to relatives in Rotherham (before cars became more available to families) using all three types of PSV.

hpqscan0001.jpg.3daa931145436557b2b9405d7508400c.jpghpqscan0002.jpg.241e278c548fe1c1604f6322a390f1a8.jpghpqscan0003.jpg.87986cf43de80cb5447523d2bdda1da7.jpg

2 hours ago, Voldy said:

This thread keeps popping up with more information from older members so after looking for pictures of the old Rotherham  'single-ended' cars have located two, one from 1947 and the other when buses took over in 1949.. Apologies for the poor quality of the scans; a third picture shows tracklesses. Used to have some interesting visits to relatives in Rotherham (before cars became more available to families) using all three types of PSV.

hpqscan0001.jpg.3daa931145436557b2b9405d7508400c.jpghpqscan0002.jpg.241e278c548fe1c1604f6322a390f1a8.jpghpqscan0003.jpg.87986cf43de80cb5447523d2bdda1da7.jpg

New to Rotherham in the mid 30s tram number 5 was one of a batch of eleven. The last new trams to be purchased by that undertaking.  W/E.

On 09/01/2008 at 21:50, Hjdary said:

Right girls and boys...heres your next one...

post-315-1199915400_thumb.jpg

Brings back memories. Ultimately correctly identified  as Ecclesall terminus and that was all. May I add my thoughts.

Mid year, trees in full leaf. Late afternoon/evening, sun low down from left. Wartime; white pavement edge, white stripes on the poles so we didn't walk into them in the blackout, the trams have white fenders which were repainted fairly soon after the war, the trams and the car all have the mandatory wartime headlamp masks

All these date it to somewhere between 1939 and about 1945. I have two odd thoughts. Photography by civilians was banned "for the duration" so this a rare one indeed. Who managed it I wonder.

The car is heading down Millhouses Lane so where the good Dr. got Knowle Lane from is a mystery. Apologies for not being able to identify the make

Forgot to mention this was where I got on the tram to go home from  High Stores between 1942 and 1949. Latterly we got the Newcastle and Bradford  rebuilds  but that is another thread.

On 24/01/2008 at 18:56, Hjdary said:

I've just driven past there tonight...the house in the shot is still there and this led to a bit of a surprise..I thought the terminus was on the main road where the buses stop now but looking at the position of the house the old tram terminus must have been on the road that runs off the main road I think it is Silverdale road.

Actually parallel  to Millhouses Lane on its own little short reservation

Millhouses Lane for certain. The area where the trams are stood as concreted over after the tram. service ended, in the '60's the no.4 bus service used it as a terminus, the bus unloaded here then went down to Silver Hill Road to turn round before coming back up to pick up passengers and head back to Firth Park. Not all the services turned here, some wen through to Bents Green

Looking at the trams, I think the one on the left is a 'Standard' and the other one a 'Domed Roof' car

Nigel L

On 9/24/2017 at 20:18, Keith_exS10 said:

Brings back memories. Ultimately correctly identified  as Ecclesall terminus and that was all. May I add my thoughts.

Mid year, trees in full leaf. Late afternoon/evening, sun low down from left. Wartime; white pavement edge, white stripes on the poles so we didn't walk into them in the blackout, the trams have white fenders which were repainted fairly soon after the war, the trams and the car all have the mandatory wartime headlamp masks

All these date it to somewhere between 1939 and about 1945. I have two odd thoughts. Photography by civilians was banned "for the duration" so this a rare one indeed. Who managed it I wonder.

The car is heading down Millhouses Lane so where the good Dr. got Knowle Lane from is a mystery. Apologies for not being able to identify the make

Forgot to mention this was where I got on the tram to go home from  High Stores between 1942 and 1949. Latterly we got the Newcastle and Bradford  rebuilds  but that is another thread.

This is one of the photos of H B Priestley in Kenneth Gandy's  ' Sheffield Corporation Tramways'. The caption says "Standard cars Nos.203 and 247 in the Ecclesall siding reservation,on 28th April 1940".

The motor car is a Flying Standard whose registration appears to be GWE 26 - (1939/40)