Sheffield History

Threads

47 posts in this topic

Happened to stumble across this thread so a little late adding to it, but thought id post :)

The school with kids playing around the school yard, in the earlier part of the film, was filmed at hillsborough school - i know this cause im in the yard somewhere playing :) I remember the day well, with cameras dotted about the place. I can name most of the kids in that scene!

As already said some of the scenes were filmed in and around hillsborough. The newsagents that crops up (can't remember at which point), was mr ridges newsagents, on penistone road to the right of swan mortons (though was demolished not long after when they widened the road and blocked borough road off from penistone).

I watched threads on TV at the time (I believe it went out on a Sunday evening) and again recently. It never particularly scared or worried me. I was just intrigued as to how they'd managed to 'blow up' Woolworths, especially as a knew for a fact it was still there! I remember someone saying they'd blown up Sheffield and done about 30 million quids worth of improvements! lol

It's actually a bit rubbish when you watch it now. Out of focus, dark, fuzzy and terrible sound.

The Americans had a far better version in the form of their own TV movie called 'Special Bulletin' about a group of terrorists who had a nuclear bomb aboard a boat in the town of Charlestown. Special Bulletin aired in 1983 so the BBC were definitely playing catch-up with Threads in 1984.

A lot has changed since then. Russia is no loger regarded as the threat it once was and no broadcaster has the guts to make a drama about the potential threats from organisations like islamic state.

I watched this the other night again

It's so bleak. like REALLY bleak

Starts off dark, then gets darker, then gets bleak and dark

lol

On 16/02/2013 at 22:08, Paul Roberts said:

Happened to stumble across this thread so a little late adding to it, but thought id post :)

The school with kids playing around the school yard, in the earlier part of the film, was filmed at hillsborough school - i know this cause im in the yard somewhere playing :) I remember the day well, with cameras dotted about the place. I can name most of the kids in that scene!

As already said some of the scenes were filmed in and around hillsborough. The newsagents that crops up (can't remember at which point), was mr ridges newsagents, on penistone road to the right of swan mortons (though was demolished not long after when they widened the road and blocked borough road off from penistone).

Do you know roughly when it was filmed at the school?

I've never seen the film, but I was one of the extras running about on the Moor etc.

My wife at the time was on a course at the Poly (as was), part of which was taught by Barry Hines, and he'd asked the students  for volunteers.

So we appeared on the Moor and took part in that bit of the filming, and also a scene at the City Hall. If I remember correctly it was a rally by some spokesman, (can't remember who in the film) with a  big crowd of extras on the steps, and the (actors) police arrived. The crowd were asked to jostle them as they pushed through the crowd, but they were a bit too enthusiastic with their jostling and filming had to stop to calm things down.

I can't remember the year, but obviously it must have been before it was shown on TV. We never saw it because we were on holiday abroad at the time but I do remember new arrivals at the resort who had seen it saying how harrowing it was.

I do appear fleetingly in the scene posted above.

I remember this film coming out in the eighties, it terrified me to be honest . I have recently bought it and it still does but I feel some parts of the film are cut. Some of my friends from school appeared in the protest scenes and with the after effects of the bomb.

Can anyone remember when the bomb hit that it blew up Sheffield's water tower?

Not a film for the feint hearted, but a film you will never forget.