Bob Bolder

Sheffield History

Bob Bolder (born October 2, 1958 in Dover) is an English former footballer who played as a goalkeeper.

Bolder is best remembered for his spells with Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic, both of whom he played over 200 games for. In between this, he had a spell as reserve goalkeeper at Liverpool, winning the European Cup in 1984. He also spent a year with Sunderland.

After leaving Charlton in 1993, Bolder had spells in non-league with Dagenham & Redbridge and Margate. He is now back at Charlton as a Football in the Community Officer.

Full name Robert John Bolder

Date of birth October 2, 1958 (1958-10-02) (age 49)

Place of birth Dover, England

Playing position Goalkeeper

Senior clubs

Sheffield Wednesday

Liverpool

Sunderland

Charlton Athletic

Guest nunbarrtowls

Bob Bolder

What are your memories of this famous Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper?

I remember when my son was a young lad [que hovis music] trying to get him to try some black pudding. in the end i told him that Bob Bolder, his favourite wednesday player of the time ate black pudding and thats what made him such a good goalie. he promptly woolfed down a huge slice and was as sick as a dog. if anyone can "doctor" the picture at the start of this thread to show Bob holding a huge peice of said black pudding i would be greatful. I think my son might be ready to see the funny side by now

My abiding memories of Bob Bolder are that he was a brave and skilful goalie - seemed to me that he was quick to come off his line, more than most, diving at player's feet or smothering shots as they were struck. I once saw him make a great save and as we were clapping him I looked up to my right, to see the ref applauding him as well. I've never seen that before, or since, in professional football.

Guest Trefcon

One tuesday evening outside the Park Hotel on Leppings lane having a beer, we were off to man city in the cup ( League ? )

we lost 2-1 i think!!, anyway Bob Bolder comes walking down past the pub to the ground. Did he play that night? I cant remember!!!

My abiding memory of Bob is him leaving for Liverpool and if IIRC he never played a first team game for them. A waste of a good keeper.

My memory ain't what it used to be, but young Mr Bolder had a nightmare game for us v Blackburn at home I think ! Would have been August 1979, we lost 3-0 and I think he went off injured to ironic cheers from some Wednesday fans, The big lad turned it round for himself of course and went on to be a fantastic keeper !