Sheffield Steelers

Sheffield History

Shania likes to wear the shirt of the home town team when she visits a hockey town - so she is not a Sheffield fan in particular! looks good in that shirt though.

This is the Steelers Wikipedia page

Hugh

also known as Lafleur on the hockey forums lol (after a Montreal hockey legend)

Remeber being introduced to the Steelers the first few games at the Arena, never missed a home game until I moved North in 1997. I remember those early days of Shudra, Nemeth, et al. You parked for free, game ticket was £3.50 and the programme, was £1.00 and covered both Saturday and Sundays games. Teams were the Billingham Bombers, Durham Wasps, Whitley Bay Warriors, Bristol Bulldogs, Swindon Wildcats. Great days.

My first game was against the Stretham Redskins in the first season. it was just before Xmas and as i remember it the Steelers were two down with minutes to go but a Shudra slap shot from the blue ended up winning it with only seconds left.

From then on I was hooked and went to all the remaining home games and remember being part of the first sell out - a 8300 crowd against the Medway Bears.

Steelers then went up via the play offs competing against teams like Chelmsford Chieftans & Livingston Kings from Scotland. Does anyone remember Chelmsford loogging an appeal against us for playing Nick Rothwell (i think!) who wasnt registered or something.

We then had one season in Heineken 1, finishing second to runaway winners of the league The Basigstoke Beavers (who subsequently changed their name to Bison as they were having trouble attracting North American imports with a name like beavers!)

was so much better in my opinion when it was a mix of Brits & imports rather than now where we have teams almost dominated by Canadians!

dont go anymore but keep an eye on their results.

Players i remember were: Alan Hague, Lee Mills, Andy Havenhand, Bernard Serafinski & imports Steve Nemeth, Ron Shudra & mark Mackie.

Guest Littledaler2

Realise it's a while since this was started, but am new to Sheffield History.

I remember Sheffield ice hockey club when the first team was called Sheffield Knights and the second team was called Sheffield Lancers - a LONG time ago. Worked with girlfriend of one of the players. Took my young nieces and nephew to a Lancers game and it was brilliant! Fast, noisy, exciting. Love it!