Charlie Peace

mickjj

Peace the Musical?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/listings/music/no_peace_for_hanged_murderer_1_4160200

“The South Yorkshire Norsemen left this planet and mutated millions of years ago and one of the songs is about them loading up the spacecraft for them to travel back to earth, to help the children. The aliens still follow Viking culture and worship all the old Gods,” says Somerset, to whom all this makes perfect sense.

and I thought I was weird sometimes !!!!

Peace the Musical? http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/listings/music/no_peace_for_hanged_murderer_1_4160200

My apologies in advance, this is about the most appalling piece of twaddle as I've come across in a long time.

The Devil Man

Edgar Wallace (1931)

Featuring one Mr Peace, I've been to about page 80; nothing of interest happens and there are a lot of silly names ...

The Devil Man (1931).doc

£7.99 !

Mine is already ordered ...

The Case of Charles Peace, a 1949 John Argyle Production made at Merton Park Studios, released by Monarch. This film is based on a true story, nicely directed by Norman Lee and it is a minor gem not because it won awards, had a great cast or a huge budget, but because it’s a small British production that entertains.

Lead Michael Martin Harvey, a relative unknown and as a mixture of Robin Hood and the devil, is oddly hypnotic in the role. The film very cleverly recounts the exploits through the trial of Charles Peace. The film has been restored to a good quality.

Directed By
Norman Lee

Produced By
John Argyle

Cast
Michael Martin Harvey - Charles Peace
Chili Bouchier - Katherine Dyson
Valentine Dyall - Storyteller
Sir Clement Barnes KC
Bruce Belfrage - Prosecution Counsel Foster
Ronald Adam - Defence Counsel Lockwood
Roberta Huby - Sue Thompson
Peter Forbes-Robertson - William Habron
Richard Shayne - Arthur Dyson
Peter Gawthorne - Mr. Justice Lopes
Gordon Court - Insp. Phillips
Hamilton Deane - Mr. Justice Hawkins
Howard Douglas - Littlewood
Liam Gaffney - Leresche
Rose Howlett - Mrs. Brion
John Kelly - Father O'Brien

Year of Production 1948

Running Time: 1hr 23mins approx
Black & White
Format: 4:3
Region: 0
Sound: Dual Mono
Encryption: CSS

This drawing shows just where Mr & Mrs Dyson lived at Banner Cross, the Estate Agents now occupies the building,  where the Crystal Barbers now sits was the gennel up which Charlie Peace escaped, if you look close the barbers has different building features to the rest of Banner Cross Terrace, it looks as though it was just wedged in. The row of terraced houses, now long gone were on Harrington Road that ran along the back of the Earl of Arundel pub on Shoreham Street, it was a terraced house like one of these that Mrs Dyson was living in at the time of Peace`s trial.

Charles Peace.png

Charlie Peace Ecclesall Road 1.jpg

charlie-peace-4c.jpg

Harrington Road.jpg

Just seen on Twitter:

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

David Olusoga

@DavidOlusoga

·

33m

OK, so Leeds here we come! Any ideas where we should look to find our house?

Quote Tweet

BBC Press Office

@bbcpress

· 43m

ICYMI: @BBCTwo’s award-winning history show #AHouseThroughTime is confirmed for a fourth series, with @DavidOlusoga heading to #Leeds in 2021: https://bbc.in/3hzLXOE

susan pitter

@susanpitter

Replying to

@DavidOlusoga

Chapeltown. My childhood home had a cartoon drawing under all the wallpaper with "Charlie Peace is a murderer" - the infamous criminal who died in the 1870s I think.

11:47 AM · Jun 17, 2020·Twitter for Android

On 10/08/2009 at 12:13, RichardB said:

Great description !

post-124-1249902811_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, I haven't posted for a while but I'm now back on track with my interest in the Outrages. I'm trying to piece together the various characters' involvement with each other and get a bit of background on the lives of key protagonists in these rattenings and determine who their associates were and how involved they were. In Hull Packet - Friday 28 June 1867 is a summary of Ovenden's examination of Broadhead (I'm trying to find the minority report, really) there's a list of accusations, number three being that, "He hired George Peace to hire someone to shoot Parker. Price £20 to £30."

Here's my thought; did he hire Peace to hire someone, or did Peace just go to shoot Parker and keep the money? Crucially as well, did Charlie peace have a son named George or could it be it was another pseudonym in addition to those mentioned in the poster above and the case that Charlie Peace shot Elisha Parker? It happened in 1854 but I haven't confirmed the date yet. Charlie was arrested and put in jail for burglary in the same year, so it could be he actually got off lightly.

Anyone with knowledge of this who could help me confirm I've not got a bit carried away with my Agatha Christiesque tangent?

Charles Peace - an infamous Victorian criminal (capitalpunishmentuk.org) Says Charlie was jailed in October of 1854

File Grinders of Sheffield (thesocialhistorian.com) Says that an attempt to blow up Elisha Parker's house with gunpowder was only successful in damaging the door. "When Parker still refused to pay the union, he was shot at close range and suffered from a shattered arm." So it's likely before October 1854. Elisha was not a saw grinder, though, he was a file grinder so I'd speculate that the file grinder union approached Broadhead to 'sort him out' as I know I've read of payments and arrangements happening between Broadhead and unions other than the saw grinder's. Perhaps that was part of his downfall; he was branching out and getting too big for his boots and certain fellas in Sheffield were not impressed.

On 18/02/2007 at 01:39, mickjj said:

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.31.27.jpg

CHARLIE PEACE - SHEFFIELD'S MOST NOTORIOUS CRIMINAL

I remember learning about Charles Peace at school. Sheffield's most notorious criminal by far, and has gone down in Sheffield folklore.
This thread will look at the life and crimes of Charles (Charlie) Peace.

I suggest that Arthur Hutchinson now has the “Sheffield’s most notorious criminal” title, after the brutal murders of Basil, Avril and Richard Laitner and the rape of their daughter Nicola at their home on Dore Road, following the wedding reception of their elder daughter Suzanne.

Charlie Peace’s exploits don’t come anywhere close to Hutchinson’s evil acts.