Methodist Churches in Sheffield

Guest purplejumper

Dad was a Methodist Minister based in Heeley 1955(?)-1959.  I was born during this period so don't remember much.  I do know that one of the churches he had "under his wing" was turned into a removals depot at one stage.  After a sojourn in the Black Country we came back to Millhouses in 1965.  Dad also had Carterknowle in his care.  We left in 1971 to go up to Middlesbrough.

12 hours ago, MartinR said:

Dad was a Methodist Minister based in Heeley 1955(?)-1959.  I was born during this period so don't remember much.  I do know that one of the churches he had "under his wing" was turned into a removals depot at one stage.  After a sojourn in the Black Country we came back to Millhouses in 1965.  Dad also had Carterknowle in his care.  We left in 1971 to go up to Middlesbrough.

MartinR - I moved from Sheffield to Guisborough in 1976 & am a member at Guisborough Methodist Church & in the late 1970 was a leader in Boys Brigade at Nunthorpe Methodist. Where was your dad based ?

Avenue Methodist, Middlesbrough.  It was his first appointment as Superintendent.  I've just had a quick look at Nuthorpe's web site and saw a face from years back jump out at me.  I remember at Avenue when Ron Mapplebeck and Dave Lyness ran the Avenue am dram group.

21 hours ago, MartinR said:

Avenue Methodist, Middlesbrough.  It was his first appointment as Superintendent.  I've just had a quick look at Nuthorpe's web site and saw a face from years back jump out at me.  I remember at Avenue when Ron Mapplebeck and Dave Lyness ran the Avenue am dram group.

Thanks MartinR.  In the 1980's I sang in the Teesside Methodist Choir which generally gave its concerts at Nunthorpe which was  where the conductor & her husband the organist were based. I do recall however doing one concert at Avenue Methodist.  

Best wishes, John

I think is was Sept 1977 that we moved from M'bro up to Whitley Bay.  I've just thought: when you sang at Avenue, were you in the hall or the church?  If the former, then you might have noticed that the lighting box was over the main entrance.  Originally it had been a dias on the left of the hall, but I played a part in getting an old store cupboard converted into a proper box.

On 07/12/2021 at 09:18, MartinR said:

I think is was Sept 1977 that we moved from M'bro up to Whitley Bay.  I've just thought: when you sang at Avenue, were you in the hall or the church?  If the former, then you might have noticed that the lighting box was over the main entrance.  Originally it had been a dias on the left of the hall, but I played a part in getting an old store cupboard converted into a proper box.

I moved up in September 1976 & the performance at Avenue Church was 30 November 1985 of Handel's Messiah. I am sure we were in the Church as we were accompanied on the organ .