The Norfolk Cinema Duke Street

jiginc

This had a circle that was almost on the same level as the stalls with a partition between. I could never understand why people paid more just to be six inches higher.

I can remember coming out after the film and going into the sweet shop opposite. They sold frozen orange juice in triangular cartons we used to suck them on the way home, lasted forever (or so it seemed)

I seem to remember they were called Jubblies.

This had a circle that was almost on the same level as the stalls with a partition between. I could never understand why people paid more just to be six inches higher.

I can remember coming out after the film and going into the sweet shop opposite. They sold frozen orange juice in triangular cartons we used to suck them on the way home, lasted forever (or so it seemed)

I seem to remember they were called Jubblies.

Lovely Jubbly - like you, I adored these things although I do remember once been given one before itw as frozen and tasted the orange juice - I thought it was great, very similar to the orange juice the milkman used to deliver in those glass bottles similar to the milk bottles

Guest tsavo

The Norfolk Picture House, Duke St. -

The Norfolk Picture Palace was situated at the junction of Duke Street and Talbot Street. Designed by architects Edmund Winder and Co, it opened on Christmas Eve, 1914. With seating for around a 1,000 patrons this included a balcony which was styled from a raised area at the back of the stalls, marked by a red velvet curtain. In 1919 a new, more imposing entrance, was installed. In 1927 the Norfolk was among several Sheffield cinemas installing a Panatrope system which did away with the need for musicians by way of twin record turntables using a cue sheet. The first talkie film shown was Rainbow Man played during Christmas week of 1929. For reasons of ecconomy, an Electrocord sound system was installed, being replaced by a Western Electric system in 1932. Refurbishment was carried out in 1937 which resulted in new concealed lighting being fitted, a remodeled proscenium, and repainting of the auditorium in pastel shades. The entrance was fronted with armour plated glass and a new pay box installed.

After the war, the new CinemaScope format was introduced at the Norfolk with Three Coins in the Fountain in April of 1955. Apart from the Palace Union Street, the Norfolk was, for a time, the only other cinema, near the city centre, to project it's CinemaScope presentations with magnetic stereo sound.

Info: Sheffield Cinemas.