THE GAUMONT CINEMA Sheffield

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.35.48.jpg
Sheffield City Hall under construction with The Gaumont Cinema in the background (was known as The Regent Cinema at this point).

The building on the extreme right of the photo is The Albert Hall in Barkers Pool

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.40.39.jpg
The new interior of The Gaumont Cinema after the refurbishment in the mid 1960's

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.41.51.jpg

The plush and luxurious Pullman seating in The Gaumont after the refurbishment

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 14.14.57.jpg

Another great and rare look at The Gaumont (with The Regent signage) in Barkers Pool

On 16/02/2007 at 15:48, Sheffield History said:

THE GAUMONT CINEMA

Barkers Pool - Sheffield

gaumont.jpg

Heading from the top of fargate towards the city hall the Gaumont was the big building on your left

PICTURES

sheffieldg2.jpgsheffieldg.jpgsheffieldg3.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Picture Sheffield.

I recall playing my Double Bass in the Green Room at the Gaumont in the early 1960’s. I seem to recall it was over the main front entrance. Can’t remember who was on piano!

I used to sit outside the Gaumont every night/day for hours on end from mid 1975 to 1981. (I did go home in those years) Nobody recognised me at all most of the time. Waiting and waiting for the shows or films to finish. So boring I used to fall asleep some nights/days. I was (if you've not guessed it) a Black Cab driver. At the time buses ran anywhere and everywhere for 10p. Then the British Steel strike and bad weather and, and, and... 

Oh! Those happy days.. I'm lieing.. Took my family there to watch all the 3 Star Wars in one sitting. Can't remember the year, but, it wasn't as boring as sitting outside with the cab. And I really hate Star Wars..

• Like 1

Saw the Rolling Stones play there in October 1965.  All you could hear was girls screaming!  My ears were still ringing three days later!!!  It was 30 years before I went to see them again at Don Valley Stadium. 

The outside wall on Burgess Street was peppered with shrapnel marks, just like the ones left on the base of the Cenotaph. The ones on the City Hall were filled in as you can plainly see today.

7 hours ago, Navvy said:

Can't remember the year, but, it wasn't as boring as sitting outside with the cab.

Possibly 1984, as the last of the three came out the previous year.

I remember going to the Gaumont in 1977 to see the press showing of Star Wars, 10am on a Thursday morning. Normally not many there for these events, but packed out that day!

For a short time I used to work in the council offices in New Oxford House, just opposite the cinema. Once a week everyone used to watch the guy putting up the new lettering on the front advertising what  films were on and times etc. These were all done letter by letter, and if anyone spotted a spelling mistake and rang the cinema they would get a free pair of tickets, never heard of anyone getting them though.

Nigel L

I recall Chuck Berry appearing there in 1965, he was backed by The Five Dimensions (minus Rod Stewart), the. Moody Blues were second billing, circa £1.00 admission appears very cheap, until you work out it’s factored up buying power.

In 1966, as a 15 year old schoolboy, I saw Bob Dylan play at the Gaumont. It was his infamous "Blonde on Blonde" tour where, in the second half of the show, he strapped on an electric guitar and brought out The Band much to the displeasure of many in the audience who continued to boo until the end of the show. It was an historic moment both for me and for rock 'n roll.

• Like 1

I was walking past when Cliff Richard arrived to do a show, in the 60s luckily there wasn't any screaming fans as no one was told when he was arriving.

Another great Cinema/theatre was the Hippodrome just round the corner on Cambridge St. that to had stage. But like all things that are   good they get Knocked down in Sheffield.  

• Like 2

I remember seeing Billy Fury here in the mid 60s.. drool, drool. "Halfway to Paradise."

The curtain was so gorgeous.. pink satin, ruched; it positively shimmered. 

On 09/03/2021 at 07:24, DaveJC said:

I recall Chuck Berry appearing there in 1965, he was backed by The Five Dimensions (minus Rod Stewart), the. Moody Blues were second billing, circa £1.00 admission appears very cheap, until you work out it’s factored up buying power.

2 hours ago, J Cooper said:

Am I right in saying Chuck Berry and the Miody Blues played a concert at the Gaumont 

Yes, see the above post.