Page Hall

johnm

What surprised me was the Destination Board on the Tram. Did they go all the way to Crookes in those days? Where was the terminus, Sheffield Lane Top?

The information I have suggests that the through service of trams from Pitsmoor to Crookes operated only in 1905 and possibly early 1906, which dates the photo quite precisely. At this time the terminus was on Firth Park Road adjacent to the junction with Bolsover Road, ie not far beyond where the tramcar is in the picture. The extension to Firth Park (Bellhouse Road) was opened in August 1909 and Sheffield Lane Top was not reached until 1934.

I read there was a turning circle in front of the refreshment rooms at Firth Park where carriages would turn around for visitors to the park so I assume there was no through road between Page Hall and Firth Park until some time after the park was opened in 1875?

I read there was a turning circle in front of the refreshment rooms at Firth Park where carriages would turn around for visitors to the park so I assume there was no through road between Page Hall and Firth Park until some time after the park was opened in 1875?

Firth Park Road was not there in 1855

There in 1894

Oldmaps.co.uk

I've often wondered why there is a 'bulge' in the road there.

It is true it was a turning point for carriages bringing people to the refreshment rooms and the end of the road until 1909 as madannie says until the road was extended to where Bellhouse Rd now is. Sadly over the years the turning circle has gradually disappeared to some extent as they have widened the pavement area to bring the bus stops forward.

Lyn