WW2 Canadian soldiers, Southey Green.

Anyone any ideas where i could find a list of Canadian soldiers staying at a base around about where the Magnet pub at Southey Green used to be?

Any help appreciated.

On 30/07/2017 at 15:00, Baldy67 said:

Anyone any ideas where i could find a list of Canadian soldiers staying at a base around about where the Magnet pub at Southey Green used to be?

Any help appreciated.

I don't know how to find a list but I do know my Uncle who was a Canadian soldier spent time in that area before the D Day landings 

A bit late in offering my small contribution to this thread though I lived in Longley during WW2 and my family were asked to accommodate a Canadian soldier for 2 or 3 days, exactly when I have no record. As I remember it an Army lorry containing soldiers was dropping off individuals at houses in the road. They had no kit with them only the uniform they were wearing and were to be re-kitted and relocated a few days later. It was believed that they may have been evacuated from Dunkerque, rather than before the D Day landings as mentioned in the previous post. It was unusual to see any significant number of servicemen in groups in Sheffield 5  at that time.  If my account of events is correct then it is very unlikely that any lists have survived into this century. Maybe this post will, hopefully, stir the memory of someones grandparents who have recollections of that time.